If U.S government shut down, would anyone care? Enough to force someones hand?

I was thinking of this, outside of the fact that many are committed to wanting a Wall and legitimate immigration reform in the U.S; what if there was a shut down and nobody cared?

I raise this issue as if people see they don't need all the services, it could really backfire. For instance, in Canada we have had a Postal slowdown/near strike for a couple of months, the union timed it for Christmas for maximum impact. Outside of a few gifts which took longer to arrive, I hardly noticed nor cared.

So, how would this play out in reality if Trump decides he needs to play hardball for the sake of U.S Sovereignty?

I predict It will get shut down the week between Christmas and New Years, the time that many workers are already taking leave to be with their families. Very minimal damage and nobody will notice.

Then with the start of the new year both sides can claim victory and brag about holding the line and nothing will have changed.
Or they can pony up the 4 billion to increase border security and stop playing their game.............

Shut it down and keep it down until it is done.............I have no problem with that.

Essential personnel are those who are required to keep certain things going, like the military. Non essential personnel are those civilians who support the active duty personnel for stuff like paperwork and the like. While we can do without them for a while, not having them at work severely increased the workload on the military at PSD, because we only had about 30 percent manning when they shut down in the 90's.

Also, other essential personnel would be people like police and firefighters as well.
So, the non-essential are those who take care of all the red tape?

They need different jobs.

Non-essential means we don't need.

I want an ESSENTIAL shutdown. Fuck them. I want them ALL to do without.

Let's shut this bitch down for 10 years. See if we actually MISS the Fed Gov. Somehow, I doubt many will.

I was thinking of this, outside of the fact that many are committed to wanting a Wall and legitimate immigration reform in the U.S; what if there was a shut down and nobody cared?

I raise this issue as if people see they don't need all the services, it could really backfire. For instance, in Canada we have had a Postal slowdown/near strike for a couple of months, the union timed it for Christmas for maximum impact. Outside of a few gifts which took longer to arrive, I hardly noticed nor cared.

So, how would this play out in reality if Trump decides he needs to play hardball for the sake of U.S Sovereignty?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that that particular theory was tested in 2013. And failed spectacularly.

Oh...so you don't believe that crap...you're just a dick?

Bullshit. You believe it AND you're a dick

That makes you a Trumper

I believe that Social Security and VA checks don't go out when there are Government shutdowns as well.

Nice...
Nah. At least social security checks always go out. I've been through any number of shutdowns. Never missed a deposit.
Yet they always claim how Granny will not get her check..........LOL

It's in Mandatory spending...........has to be paid first........never stops the left from playing that card.........even though it's a lie.

If U.S government shut down, would anyone care? Enough to force someones hand?

If it really, truly shut down, every agency, every military unit, every employee sent home, not only would I not care I would heartily celebrate.

I believe that Social Security and VA checks don't go out when there are Government shutdowns as well.

Nice...
Nah. At least social security checks always go out. I've been through any number of shutdowns. Never missed a deposit.
Yet they always claim how Granny will not get her check..........LOL

It's in Mandatory spending...........has to be paid first........never stops the left from playing that card.........even though it's a lie.
They always use the same tired worn out garbage and expect that this time it will work. In this case, it's even sillier. 75% of all funding has already been approved.

Shitstain obama had to post guards and pay them to keep people from looking at the memorials in the park. That was just so we would notice. He had guards to chase people away from view turnouts because looking was closed.

What Democrats are afraid of is that no one will notice or care.

I recall watching an episode of reality program Deadliest Catch and the effect of the government shut-down going on back then had on keeping the fishing fleet in port. They even showed one of the boat captains testifying before congress. I'm not sure what industries will be effected by having a partial government shut down, but for any that are, it won't look good for the government. Which is why I was surprised Trump jumped on claiming responsibility for a possible shutdown. Perhaps this time the chance for it extending to layoffs in the private sector is nil which would be nice.

But within those agencies, some 420,000 employees are "excepted," in government parlance, from furloughs; that is, they are considered essential and will be on the job, but they won't be getting paychecks.

They include law enforcement officers at the:

• FBI
  • Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
  • Drug Enforcement Administration
  • Border Patrol
  • Transportation Security Administration
TSA officers will still be screening airline passengers in one of the busiest travel periods of the year but will very likely have to wait for paychecks — during the holiday season.

An additional 380,000 employees will be furloughed — that is, be sent home — also without pay, although Congress has previously appropriated back pay for federal workers when the prior shutdowns have ended.

But within those agencies, some 420,000 employees are "excepted," in government parlance, from furloughs; that is, they are considered essential and will be on the job, but they won't be getting paychecks.

They include law enforcement officers at the:

• FBI
  • Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
  • Drug Enforcement Administration
  • Border Patrol
  • Transportation Security Administration
TSA officers will still be screening airline passengers in one of the busiest travel periods of the year but will very likely have to wait for paychecks — during the holiday season.

An additional 380,000 employees will be furloughed — that is, be sent home — also without pay, although Congress has previously appropriated back pay for federal workers when the prior shutdowns have ended.
And the downside is?

I can agree that a shut down would not be a good thing. People depend on their paychecks. Sure, they'll get the back pay when government opens again, but for the 2 weeks, or 4 weeks or however long the government get shut down for can be a burden on those folks.

Having said that, I think it is wrong that the left are trying to push the blame on the trump. The left are equally to blame. They say trump is going to shut down the government because he wants 5 billion in border wall funding. One could also say that the left is going to shut down the government because they refuse to give border wall funding.

At the end if the day it's the same thing. It's two sides unwilling to budge that will shut down the government. So yeah, both are equally to blame.

Well..........cut off Mueller's budget..........check down with that.

Transportation Security Administration
The airports can now pay for their own security screening at the airport .............check........
Maybe then they will stop groping people at the airport for our own safety.......LOL

Border Patrol
That would suck...........we could do a gofundme account for that one.

You won't find that nonsense with the pro American President Trump.

Yes we do>
On Politics: Trump Threatens Shutdown Over Funding for Border Wall

If the media wasn’t going on about it 24/7 I don’t think most people would notice any difference

Cause there's nothing that says Christmas like a furlough and loss of a paycheck right Scrooge?

All the civilians who were furloughed? They called us every morning, wondering if they could come back to work yet. I know that the shutdown hurt quite a few of the civilian workers on base quite a bit financially, they missed out on almost a whole months pay.

Deny Congress a paycheck during shutdown, and there'd never be another one

~S~

You won't find that nonsense with the pro American President Trump.

Yes we do>
On Politics: Trump Threatens Shutdown Over Funding for Border Wall

If the media wasn’t going on about it 24/7 I don’t think most people would notice any difference

Cause there's nothing that says Christmas like a furlough and loss of a paycheck right Scrooge?

All the civilians who were furloughed? They called us every morning, wondering if they could come back to work yet. I know that the shutdown hurt quite a few of the civilian workers on base quite a bit financially, they missed out on almost a whole months pay.

Deny Congress a paycheck during shutdown, and there'd never be another one

~S~
To most of congress that paycheck is meaningless............they don't get into the millionaires club from that check.

Well..........cut off Mueller's budget..........check down with that.

Mueller is not part of the FBI dimwit
You're right here............he's a paid DNC hack for the establishment.......and these wimpy assed checks don't concern him.

He get's kick backs through the back door channels from places like Lockhead...........and stuff............he's just better at hiding it than Comey......

Of course that doesn't concern you in the least now does it.............

Oh.........SHUT IT DOWN................time to press the libs...........oh well.

they should be shut down anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it's in HUGE debt
shut down and NO pay
this is BULLSHIT--
there should be lay-offs
Yea..shut off those VA payments...stop paying that Medicaid and Medicare...no SOcial Security checks...fuck em right?

Those are all considered essential...….they will still be paid.

This is from 2013

Shutdown: Are Social Security payments at risk?

But it's very likely that the nearly 58 million people who receive Social Security benefits would still be paid on time, at least if the law and history are any guide.

For starters, funding for Social Security is considered "mandatory" and therefore not subject to the annual appropriations process.

If you'd stop & think about it.....anytime the government has shut down in the past......everyone still got their checks and medical care.....SS, welfare, VA, etc
In fact there was little if any real disruption in most peoples lives & they never seen a difference.

Now STFU & quit whining about it

Forum List

Back