If There Was A Happy Drug......

So, are we all agreed that feeling shitty is a part of being alive? Yanno, the free-floating anxiety, the pain of heartache, the grief, etc.

All of it?

Wouldn't it be nice to smooth away the lows, if we did not have to trade away the joys? But somehow, I think that's impossible.

So, are we all agreed that feeling shitty is a part of being alive? Yanno, the free-floating anxiety, the pain of heartache, the grief, etc.

All of it?

Wouldn't it be nice to smooth away the lows, if we did not have to trade away the joys? But somehow, I think that's impossible.

and incredibly boring.

All of it?

People do try that but staying numbed down by being high/and or drunk 24/7, thus they are not very productive members of society.

All of it?

People do try that but staying numbed down by being high/and or drunk 24/7, thus they are not very productive members of society.

If you would still be productive, would such a drug appeal to you, High Gravity?

I'll be honest.....there have been dark times in my life I would have taken it, had it been around. I just don't think such a thing is really possible.

Everyone needs to experiance pain and heartache as part of the growing process.
Without it, you're nothing really.

Getting over a heartbreak, a death, getting fired, betrayed, lied to, et al......only makes us stronger and grow into the person we are.

All of it?

If you would still be productive, would such a drug appeal to you, High Gravity?

I'll be honest.....there have been dark times in my life I would have taken it, had it been around. I just don't think such a thing is really possible.

I have been through some real bad times especially during my Military service, it is tempting too take an easy way out like that but at the same time I think you need to go through bad times to really appreciate it when things are good. If things are always great all the time how do you really appreciate what you have? its like these stupid kids from the suburbs whos parents give them everything and they get involved in drugs and do home invasions, some teenagers in a rich part of Conneticut did a home invasion and killed the whole family inside the home, why did they do this? they have all the money they would want, but they did not appreciate it and they needed to do more for their thrills.

I have been through some real bad times especially during my Military service, it is tempting too take an easy way out like that but at the same time I think you need to go through bad times to really appreciate it when things are good. If things are always great all the time how do you really appreciate what you have? its like these stupid kids from the suburbs whos parents give them everything and they get involved in drugs and do home invasions, some teenagers in a rich part of Conneticut did a home invasion and killed the whole family inside the home, why did they do this? they have all the money they would want, but they did not appreciate it and they needed to do more for their thrills.

I agree....being happy all the time just would not feel like being alive.

That Connecticut case you mentioned sounds truely awful. I don't know what fuels that sort of horror show.....evil, I guess.

That Connecticut case you mentioned sounds truely awful. I don't know what fuels that sort of horror show.....evil, I guess.

Its because those kids were handed everything from the moment they were born, they had everything they could have ever wanted at anytime, so for them they felt a thrill kill would be something exciting to get their adrenaline going and their parents always got them out of trouble before, so why not? sometimes having everything handed to you and never going through tough times make you immune to things like the value of life.

Its because those kids were handed everything from the moment they were born, they had everything they could have ever wanted at anytime, so for them they felt a thrill kill would be something exciting to get their adrenaline going and their parents always got them out of trouble before, so why not? sometimes having everything handed to you and never going through tough times make you immune to things like the value of life.

again--constant "happiness" is boring as hell.

Our brains already produce drugs that make us happy.

In fact most of the drugs we take simply mimic those drugs that our brains can produce on their own.

Our brains just don't produce enough of them to make us happy when we ought not to be happy.

In the long run, as so many of you have already noted, ersatz happiness usually leads to real unhappy lives.

The drug already exists and is easially absorbed thru the skin.
It was on all the Republican voting machine levers last November ;)

Our brains already produce drugs that make us happy.

In fact most of the drugs we take simply mimic those drugs that our brains can produce on their own.

Our brains just don't produce enough of them to make us happy when we ought not to be happy.

In the long run, as so many of you have already noted, ersatz happiness usually leads to real unhappy lives.

Truth.

Years ago, some quirky tv show had a plotline about this woman, terminally ill, who sued for the right to remain asleep on coma-inducing drugs. Awake, she was in pain, alone and afraid. Asleep, she was in a happy family (she dreamt) and very much at peace.

That always nagged at me. What if?

Years ago, some quirky tv show had a plotline about this woman, terminally ill, who sued for the right to remain asleep on coma-inducing drugs. Awake, she was in pain, alone and afraid. Asleep, she was in a happy family (she dreamt) and very much at peace.

We need the right to die with dignity at the time of our choosing in the case of terminal illness or extreme physical suffering.

We need the right to die with dignity at the time of our choosing in the case of terminal illness or extreme physical suffering.

I agree.

Nature, of which we are a part of, has a way of balancing things out. The climate is always trying to reach equilibriam and this is what causes our weather. When a population of animals gets too big and eats all the food, they starve off until the food comes back. Wherever you look those natural forces are striving to make things level. And for human beings, we are no exception. If you get excited about something there will be a corresponding low point. People that are high strung tend to get quite low too. People who are more level in terms of emotion tend not to have the peaks and valley's. Yes, they do have some but not as deep or steep.

You can also think of this like karma or Newtons 3rd law of physics; Every action has an oppoiste and equal reaction.

Ecstasy is the greatest drug i have ever done. I tell everyone the government should make it mandatory that everyone do E daily

Ecstasy is the greatest drug i have ever done. I tell everyone the government should make it mandatory that everyone do E daily

But doesn't E put a hole in your brain if you use it excessively? crack heads rave up and down about how good their fix is but I don't feel a need to try it.

Would you take it? A drug that would have no side effects, was not addictive, and induced a great sense of well being in you?

Part of me says "yes", another part says this would be like a living death.

What say you?

No. The ups and downs are what makes life what it is, and people who they are.

Would you take it? A drug that would have no side effects, was not addictive, and induced a great sense of well being in you?

Part of me says "yes", another part says this would be like a living death.

What say you?

Plants are not drugs. They are plants. However, the very substance you just described is pretty much what cannabis does to the human body.

And......it didn't get the status of "drug" until after Anslinger made it illegal because of racist ideals, financed by greedy ones in the form of Dow and Herst.

Scientists have done MANY experiments on cannabis users (since the mid 60's as a matter of fact, some were financed by the government, with the military personnel as the lab rats.

That being said, cannabis DOES NOT cause addiction, has little to no harmful effects on the human body, as well as helps things like Alzheimer's as well as has shown a bit of promise in other places (cancer, autism, pain management, etc).

It's also impossible to overdose from smoked cannabis.

As far as something made by mankind able to do that? Nope, don't think that's ever going to happen.

But........there is an attitude that one can take to get through some of the roughest times in their life. It's called acceptance.

And, remember...........acceptance ISN'T a mental destination, it's the place where you start from. If you lose all your money because of the market, to keep acting like you have cash, refusing to accept the fact you don't is how people get into serious trouble.

Acceptance would state that yeah......you took a bath on the market, but now this is where you're at. Once you accept that as the situation, then you have a realistic and logical place to begin from, as well as can formulate a goal to accomplish from that beginning point.

The best happiness generating thing I know of? Acceptance.

Forum List

Back