If the Space Station could spin on a central axis how much speed would it need to create gravity?

They would need to be magnetized.
Why? Isn't the point of false gravity to simulate light gravity and bypass the need for external measures?
All objects with gravity are due to its magnetic core and the field of flux..Normally an iron core...Just like in yer transformers.
You've never stuck to the wall of a spinning barrel at an amusement park have you lol
That’s centrifugal force. Not gravity.

It's a combination of several factors and influences, none of which we can figure out for replication and utilize in our space voyages, even though Capt. Kirk could...

When people think vacuum, they think no air.

Not what I think when I hear vacuum...

bdfb5b4d829643238542d65acd1a10a8.ashx

Did you ever think that if your vacuum gets dirty and you have to clean it that you become a vacuum cleaner cleaner?

The use of the minerals that compose a metal in your body is attracted to the magnetic field of the Earth which is also an iron core..Of molten metal oh my!

Oh my God! Please stop the stupid flowing out of you!
Everything I learned I learned by fifth grade after watching two seasons of Star Trek..

Man you are an old fart if you were in 5th grade after two seasons of Star Trek. Couldn't stay up for the third season, huh?

The use of the minerals that compose a metal in your body is attracted to the magnetic field of the Earth which is also an iron core..Of molten metal oh my!

Everything I learned I learned by fifth grade after watching two seasons of Star Trek..

Man you are an old fart if you were in 5th grade after two seasons of Star Trek. Couldn't stay up for the third season, huh?

Friday night wasn't a school night so I could stay up. Unlike 'The Avengers', which I liked better, on Thursday at 10pm.

Need magnetic boots............To stick to the side walls.............Then rotate the station to equal 9.8 m per second squared...........Amount of force would be mass times acceleration....???????

Spacecraft are usually made of aluminum. Aluminum does not react like other metals to magnetism.
Because?

Because aluminium is more malleable so can be made to form many more intricate shapes than steel, and steel is 2.5 times denser than aluminium. Remember, in Space, weight equals cost. IIRC the cost runs about a million dollars per pound to loft. When I was working on the Landsat 1 we were always working very hard at trimming weight.

Friday night wasn't a school night so I could stay up. Unlike 'The Avengers', which I liked better, on Thursday at 10pm.

Purdey or Peel?

Purdey or Peel?

Guess ...

af4657804590afc66a1685fc6664b6f5--emma-peel-kult.jpg

Purdey or Peel?

Guess ...

af4657804590afc66a1685fc6664b6f5--emma-peel-kult.jpg

Yeah, me too!

Why? Isn't the point of false gravity to simulate light gravity and bypass the need for external measures?

I don't think the space station is designed for the perimeter to be used as a floor. That might be something to consider if another is built.
No doubt it isn't. I just don't get why. Cost? Technical restraints? Risk?

It's geometry. Wasn't designed to have most of work/living space in the Periphery of the design where the maximum effect would be. In any "spinning" artificial gravity design -- NOBODY wants to be or bunk right near the center. Especially in a small design because of the required rotation speeds.

For general interest -- there IS rotation of the station and ANY manned spacecraft to equalize heating on exterior components. One of the things I worked on at Kennedy Space center.

But here's a calculator to rough it out. CalcTool: Centrifugal force calculator

You'd need something like 2 revolutions a minute and a 200 meter RADIUS to come close to Earth gravity. Have fun with the calculator. Use about 80Kg as a human weight.

You've never stuck to the wall of a spinning barrel at an amusement park have you lol
Right. Now try to imagine planting your feet on the wall of the spinning barrel and standing "up" (toward the center of the room). That's essentially what you're suggesting they try in the space station. The problem is with the small radius of rotation. When the radius of such a rotation is very large, compared to your height, the relative difference in momentum between your head and your feet is negligible. But when the radius is small compared to a your height (like it would be in the space station), the difference is pronounced, and very disorienting.

I don't think the space station is designed for the perimeter to be used as a floor. That might be something to consider if another is built.
No doubt it isn't. I just don't get why. Cost? Technical restraints? Risk?
All the above!

The mating surfaces aren't frictionless. Over time, friction would grow and more and more energy would be needed to keep the station in motion. What happens when it wears out?

On earth,with a magnetic train, you have super conductors which keep the train suspended. The track won't wear out because of the lack of contact. In space, everything has to be covered and connected because people need to breathe.

What we actually need is to understand the force of gravity itself. If we can duplicate that force without needing to rotate massive amounts of structure, it would solve the problem. But science is only scratching the surface of understanding the nature of gravity. Yea, we can measure it, but we can measure all kinds of things without understanding the nature of whatever it is that's being measured.

Humans have been here millions of years, but we've only manage to use electricity in meaningful ways the last couple of hundred. It's like when idiots use the weirdly misleading and meaningless term "settled science", whatever that is in their tiny minds.
Man's knowledge of science has been growing at an exponential rate the last couple of decades and we still don't know hardly anything.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? What the heck are you babbling about? Friction....in a vacuum?
OMG. You think friction only exists in an atmosphere?

How many kinds of friction do you think there are? Start there.

Do you guys have to be educated on even the most basic things?

Friction, as an aerodynamic variable, only exists where there is an atmosphere. Care to tell the class where the atmosphere is in a vacuum?
laughter.gif

Oh stop. I can't take it any more.

There are four types of friction.

If you set a brick on the sidewalk and push it, it's difficult to push until it gets moving. Pushing against it until it starts moving is called static friction and is the strongest. Once it begins to move, it's called sliding friction. But if the brick were round and rolled, that would be called rolling friction and it's the weakest. Notice I mentioned three types of friction? Three demonstrable types of friction and no where did I mention air or gas?

The forth one is fluid friction. Now why it is only one and not two? Fluid and gas? Because gas is a fluid, just not dense. But their frictional properties are the same.

So if you had a space station with a rotating section, you would start with static friction until the section began rotating. Then you would move on to sliding friction where the rotating and non rotating sections were joined.

Now you could rotate the entire ship. But that would be unstable and much more difficult. Try to figure out why.

Actually, junior, there are FIVE types of friction. Static, sliding, kinetic, fluid, and rolling. If you're going to try and be superior don't make basic mistakes. It makes far more sense to rotate the entire station, wobble is the biggest issue in a near Earth orbit, but the further out towards the Lagrange Point the less of a problem that becomes. The other issue is the fuel needed to get the thing moving in the first place. Fuel is weight is cost.
Do me a favor Einstein,

Define Kinetic Friction
then
Define sliding Friction

:popcorn:

Gravity the force that attracts a body toward the center of the Earth. What is at the center of the Earth?

Iron core, basis of Earth's magnetic field...geodynamo, now look up magnetohydrodynamic..Now there's a .29 cent word, Yeeeeee-Haw!

What is at the center of the moon? Rock. Does it have gravity?

The center of Jupiter? The center of the sun?

Why do you go out of the way to prove you never made it past elementary school?
Everything has gravity. Even if it can't be measured. If there is an atom at the center of the moon, then yes, it has gravity.

Gravity the force that attracts a body toward the center of the Earth. What is at the center of the Earth?

Iron core, basis of Earth's magnetic field...geodynamo, now look up magnetohydrodynamic..Now there's a .29 cent word, Yeeeeee-Haw!

What is at the center of the moon? Rock. Does it have gravity?

The center of Jupiter? The center of the sun?

Why do you go out of the way to prove you never made it past elementary school?
Everything has gravity. Even if it can't be measured. If there is an atom at the center of the moon, then yes, it has gravity.
Because it is electrically charged and has a magnetic field...

Forum List

Back