If the Space Station could spin on a central axis how much speed would it need to create gravity?

Friction, as an aerodynamic variable, only exists where there is an atmosphere. Care to tell the class where the atmosphere is in a vacuum?
laughter.gif

Oh stop. I can't take it any more.

There are four types of friction.

If you set a brick on the sidewalk and push it, it's difficult to push until it gets moving. Pushing against it until it starts moving is called static friction and is the strongest. Once it begins to move, it's called sliding friction. But if the brick were round and rolled, that would be called rolling friction and it's the weakest. Notice I mentioned three types of friction? Three demonstrable types of friction and no where did I mention air or gas?

The forth one is fluid friction. Now why it is only one and not two? Fluid and gas? Because gas is a fluid, just not dense. But their frictional properties are the same.

So if you had a space station with a rotating section, you would start with static friction until the section began rotating. Then you would move on to sliding friction where the rotating and non rotating sections were joined.

Now you could rotate the entire ship. But that would be unstable and much more difficult. Try to figure out why.

Actually, junior, there are FIVE types of friction. Static, sliding, kinetic, fluid, and rolling. If you're going to try and be superior don't make basic mistakes. It makes far more sense to rotate the entire station, wobble is the biggest issue in a near Earth orbit, but the further out towards the Lagrange Point the less of a problem that becomes. The other issue is the fuel needed to get the thing moving in the first place. Fuel is weight is cost.
Do me a favor Einstein,

Define Kinetic Friction
then
Define sliding Friction

:popcorn:

Kinetic friction is the frictional forces between two surfaces in relative motion. This is variable depending on the normal force, and the nature of the surfaces moving.

Sliding friction is the force when SIMILAR materials are sliding over each other. As in when you rub your hands together, or two pine boards.

Kinetic friction, and sliding friction are very similar to each other, but they are different.
That's nonsense. You just made that up.

The term sliding friction refers to the resistance created by two objects sliding against each other. This can also be called kinetic friction. Sliding frictionis intended to stop an object from moving.

sliding friction - Google Search

No, I didn't. When you get into the realm of physics they demand far more specificity.

Types of friction with examples

5 types of friction and their examples in everyday life

The mating surfaces aren't frictionless. Over time, friction would grow and more and more energy would be needed to keep the station in motion. What happens when it wears out?

On earth,with a magnetic train, you have super conductors which keep the train suspended. The track won't wear out because of the lack of contact. In space, everything has to be covered and connected because people need to breathe.

What we actually need is to understand the force of gravity itself. If we can duplicate that force without needing to rotate massive amounts of structure, it would solve the problem. But science is only scratching the surface of understanding the nature of gravity. Yea, we can measure it, but we can measure all kinds of things without understanding the nature of whatever it is that's being measured.

Humans have been here millions of years, but we've only manage to use electricity in meaningful ways the last couple of hundred. It's like when idiots use the weirdly misleading and meaningless term "settled science", whatever that is in their tiny minds.
Man's knowledge of science has been growing at an exponential rate the last couple of decades and we still don't know hardly anything.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? What the heck are you babbling about? Friction....in a vacuum?

When an astronaut in space rubs his gloved hands together, what do you call the resulting drag his hands exert on each other?
We've already been over that.
Westwall just makes up different kinds of friction for every scenario he imagines.

Cut him some slack. He took a geology class that qualifies him as an expert on everything. It's all the same, don't ya know?
He took a class or he has no class?

laughter.gif

Oh stop. I can't take it any more.

There are four types of friction.

If you set a brick on the sidewalk and push it, it's difficult to push until it gets moving. Pushing against it until it starts moving is called static friction and is the strongest. Once it begins to move, it's called sliding friction. But if the brick were round and rolled, that would be called rolling friction and it's the weakest. Notice I mentioned three types of friction? Three demonstrable types of friction and no where did I mention air or gas?

The forth one is fluid friction. Now why it is only one and not two? Fluid and gas? Because gas is a fluid, just not dense. But their frictional properties are the same.

So if you had a space station with a rotating section, you would start with static friction until the section began rotating. Then you would move on to sliding friction where the rotating and non rotating sections were joined.

Now you could rotate the entire ship. But that would be unstable and much more difficult. Try to figure out why.

Actually, junior, there are FIVE types of friction. Static, sliding, kinetic, fluid, and rolling. If you're going to try and be superior don't make basic mistakes. It makes far more sense to rotate the entire station, wobble is the biggest issue in a near Earth orbit, but the further out towards the Lagrange Point the less of a problem that becomes. The other issue is the fuel needed to get the thing moving in the first place. Fuel is weight is cost.
Do me a favor Einstein,

Define Kinetic Friction
then
Define sliding Friction

Kinetic friction is the frictional forces between two surfaces in relative motion. This is variable depending on the normal force, and the nature of the surfaces moving.

Sliding friction is the force when SIMILAR materials are sliding over each other. As in when you rub your hands together, or two pine boards.

Kinetic friction, and sliding friction are very similar to each other, but they are different.

The term sliding friction refers to the resistance created by two objects sliding against each other. This can also be called kinetic friction. Sliding frictionis intended to stop an object from moving.

No, I didn't. When you get into the realm of physics they demand far more specificity.

How long did it take you do find an article that someone incorrectly edited.

Read the definition of Kinetic and Sliding friction. They are the same.

Here let me help you:

an object slides over another surface

forces acting between the surfaces in relative motion

Which is which? The one where two surfaces rub together or the one where two surface rub together?

Do me a favor Einstein,

Define Kinetic Friction
then
Define sliding Friction

Here let me help you:

Which is which? The one where two surfaces rub together or the one where two surface rub together?

Less than one second. It is a physics website so I am pretty sure they know more about physics than I do. I do recall that at Caltech there were all sorts of things that were talked about that I never hear about in the regular world. This was one of them. I don't even recall what the discussion was about where the subject came up (it was over forty years ago after all) but I was roundly dressed down for having the temerity to question sliding friction.

Like I said, physicists require far more precision than we do.

Do me a favor Einstein,

Define Kinetic Friction
then
Define sliding Friction

Here let me help you:

What I've gotten from a little bit of looking this up is that static and kinetic are the two major types of friction, with the others being subtypes. Put simply, static friction is between two objects or surfaces which are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction is between two objects or surfaces that are moving relative to each other. So sliding friction would be a type of kinetic friction, while rolling friction is static because the part of the rolling object actually touching the surface is not moving relative to the surface. Fluid friction I imagine would also be a form of kinetic friction.

This is just my take based on a quick review of some sites, I'm certainly no expert.

Forum List

Back