If Rubio drops after FL, will Cruz catch Trump?

imawhosure

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2015
I believe the odds are slightly better than 50-50 he will as most states go to a closed primary, where Democratic voters will not be able to help Mr Trump. Now of course, that is assuming that Rubio isn't propped up by the GOP attempting everything possible to get to a brokered convention as they despise Cruz as much, or more than Trump.

As of this particular time, it appears that Cruz would beat Hillary, and the same scenario goes for Cruz as for Trump; Kasich as VP takes Ohio, Cruz makes it slightly more difficult to secure Florida, although being of Cuban descent will have it's impact there for sure.

This is the only scenario that gives the GOP a non Trump nomination, that will not send Trump supporters off the deep end, unless anyone believes that Kasich or Rubio can catch him. Send this to a brokered convention and not choose Trump if he has the most delegates, and watch all hell break loose if he is not the nominee. But if he loses fair and square, tranquility may very well be restored to the GOP ranks, although the GOP establishment will surely be grinding their teeth! And yet, they really can't complain much, since their whole shtick has been to depose Trump; it is just they couldn't get "Little Marco" in that position-)

If Kasich takes OH (he was down three points this morning), he will not get out of the race.

Cruz chasing Trump makes a brokered convention very possible.

I believe the odds are slightly better than 50-50 he will as most states go to a closed primary, where Democratic voters will not be able to help Mr Trump. Now of course, that is assuming that Rubio isn't propped up by the GOP attempting everything possible to get to a brokered convention as they despise Cruz as much, or more than Trump.

As of this particular time, it appears that Cruz would beat Hillary, and the same scenario goes for Cruz as for Trump; Kasich as VP takes Ohio, Cruz makes it slightly more difficult to secure Florida, although being of Cuban descent will have it's impact there for sure.

This is the only scenario that gives the GOP a non Trump nomination, that will not send Trump supporters off the deep end, unless anyone believes that Kasich or Rubio can catch him. Send this to a brokered convention and not choose Trump if he has the most delegates, and watch all hell break loose if he is not the nominee. But if he loses fair and square, tranquility may very well be restored to the GOP ranks, although the GOP establishment will surely be grinding their teeth! And yet, they really can't complain much, since their whole shtick has been to depose Trump; it is just they couldn't get "Little Marco" in that position-)
Who cares who is the last one left in the KKKlown KKKar? Whichever KKKlown gets the gop nomination gets his ass handed to him by Hillary.

If Kasich takes OH (he was down three points this morning), he will not get out of the race.

Jake, after FL it will become clear by the results what the GOP establishment's road is if Rubio loses. If Rubio does not suspend his campaign, then they 100% trying for a brokered convention, which I do not think they will be able to get because of winner take all rules.

But if Rubio drops, they will be coalescing behind Cruz, even if they do not like him, in a last ditch effort to stop Trump, which I believe has the best chance of working.

Who cares who is the last one left in the KKKlown KKKar? Whichever KKKlown gets the gop nomination gets his ass handed to him by Hillary.

Oh contrair! Even the recent polls show Cruz defeating Hillary in a 1 v 1; which doesn't mean a thing this far out, but it takes away the narrative that the GOP will lose by what the polls say.

Rubio supporters are more likely to go to Kasich than Cruz. I don't see Kasich dropping out, regardless of what happens in Ohio. He's too smart, and has always been in it for the long haul. He knows that at the end of the day he is by far the most qualified to perform the job. Rubio is more likely to be rattled by losing his home state, but I think there is a good chance he would stay in too. Though in his case it would be more because of stubbornness and vanity.

At this point, I think that short of anyone surging to take a majority of delegates, the real question to ask about any developments in the remaining primary season is how it will influence a brokered election.

Rubio has no leverage in a brokered election. He cannot gain the nomination. Depending on how many delegates he amasses he can leverage himself into a VP or cabinet post.

Kasich has the benefit of being the best qualified for the job, and having the strongest chance to defeat Clinton.

Cruz can leverage being the "not-Trump" with the most delegates.

Trump can have his nurse change his Depends undergarment when he isn't nominated.

Rubio should drop before Florida. Losing his own state would pretty much end his political career going forward...of course, he doesn't like his political career so I guess it wouldn't be a big loss.

As to your question...I hope so. Cruz is my number one choice to go up against Hillary.

I don't think Kasich will get Ohio.
I don't think Rubio will get FL.
I see Cruz getting a few more states, but I think Trump will get more northern states.
We will soon find out :)

Cruz is my number one choice to go up against Hillary.

The safer of two crazies. :lol:

What makes Cruz "Crazy"? So far all I've heard about Cruz is "he's mean, he's not liked, he's nutters" but most people don't know why. Its more of "I've heard this about him, or "everyone says it about him".

The man was elected Senator after all.

Let's take his filibuster shenanigans. It was nothing but a big loss. Cruz is too stubborn, and would rather lose for his own vanity than compromise and get things done for the good of the country.

I don't think Kasich will get Ohio.
I don't think Rubio will get FL.
I see Cruz getting a few more states, but I think Trump will get more northern states.
We will soon find out :)

Well, if Trump gets FL and Ohio, it is over. I have seen the path to 270 Trump has to follow, and I believe it is extremely doable, as long as he is not made out worse than Hillary, lol. But, let Trump lose either, and it is game on! If he manages to lose both, it is game over.

Jake, after FL it will become clear by the results what the GOP establishment's road is if Rubio loses. If Rubio does not suspend his campaign, then they 100% trying for a brokered convention, which I do not think they will be able to get because of winner take all rules.

But if Rubio drops, they will be coalescing behind Cruz, even if they do not like him, in a last ditch effort to stop Trump, which I believe has the best chance of working.

Somebody, who was wiser than any poster on this board said something to the effect that if you a movement to stop "X" place your bets on "X".

The moldy, way-past-their-best time, undemocratic and unpatriotic "Establishment" yahoos should learn to respect and appreciate the will of the majority.

Rubio should drop before Florida. Losing his own state would pretty much end his political career going forward...of course, he doesn't like his political career so I guess it wouldn't be a big loss.

As to your question...I hope so. Cruz is my number one choice to go up against Hillary.

Rubio deserves respect for being courageous enough to believe in himself enough not to fall back on his senate job if he loses in his bid for the presidency.

Nothing is more disgusting than an egotistical loser who scampers back to his old job after losing in his attempt to obtain a job which he should have known he was never qualified to earn.

The number of such losers are a legion. You who they are. They still "serve" you because you are/were too cowardly to hand them their pink slip.

Somebody, who was wiser than any poster on this board said something to the effect that if you a movement to stop "X" place your bets on "X".

The moldy, way-past-their-best time, undemocratic and unpatriotic "Establishment" yahoos should learn to respect and appreciate the will of the majority.

Let me say that I am not really for anyone. (I do lean Cruz though) In the general, I am for the GOP nominee. All of them have a path to victory in the general, so unless the GOP pulls off something tawdry at the convention, I expect a Republican President to be sworn in, Jan of 17.

Well, if Trump gets FL and Ohio, it is over. I have seen the path to 270 Trump has to follow, and I believe it is extremely doable, as long as he is not made out worse than Hillary, lol. But, let Trump lose either, and it is game on! If he manages to lose both, it is game over.

Why can't the drumpfodder get it through their heads that primaries have absolutely zero implication on the general election? Even if Trump wins the FL primary, he'll never take the state in the general. Nor Ohio. Trump won't even carry his home state of NY in a general. There is zero path to 270 for Trump.

Last edited:
CRUZ OR PHRUMP! GOOD GRIEF! The GOP has a horrible choice. I guess this is as close to the choice between Dumb and Dumber as a political forum can present. Cruz will not catch Phrump. Donald will get rid of Teddy in any manner that he chooses. He knows people in the Mafia, you know?

Why can't the drumpfodder get it through their heads that primaries have absolutely zero implication on the general election? Even if Trump wins the FL primary, he'll never take the state in the general. Nor Ohio. Trump won't even carry his home state of NY in a general. There is zero path to 207 for Trump.

Let them dream for a few months. It will help them sleep at night.

Forum List

Back