If Romney/Ryan believe that private charity is so important...

The question is, why would conservatives want to end the charitable deduction, and disincentive charitable giving,

when conservatives go on and on about how charity is so important?

Where is your evidence that they would? Can you show me anything that says Romney wants to end charitable deductions?

I didn't think so...

Ok, let's say you take the charitable deduction off the table. That was one of the deductions among those that are supposed to be used to make Romney's tax plan revenue neutral.

Now that that's gone, which as i recall is about 47 billion a year in lost tax revenue,

where does Romney get his offsetting 'loophole' closings to make a 5 trillion dollar tax cut revenue neutral and to make the tax liability for the rich stay where it is?

AGAIN.... Where is your evidence that they would? Can you show me anything that says Romney wants to end charitable deductions?

...why would they propose a tax plan that gets rid of the tax deduction for charitable giving?

Or should we logically assume that the charitable deduction is off the table as far as Romney/Ryan are concerned when they're talking about getting rid of various tax deductions/credits/loopholes etc.,

to make their tax plan revenue neutral?

I do believe they've made it clear there would be caps to all deductions, including charitable. My guess for Romney, he'd still make them. So would many of us.

Mitt isn't specific on his cuts, but now says wealthy people will 'pay a lot". His plan doesn't go any further than that; he spends six hours a day laminating his hair, that leaves little time for DETAILS.

I have a hunch safe medications, and sound building construction are NOT high his list of "priorities".

Mitt isn't specific on his cuts, but now says wealthy people will 'pay a lot". His plan doesn't go any further than that; he spends six hours a day laminating his hair, that leaves little time for DETAILS.

I have a hunch safe medications, and sound building construction are NOT high his list of "priorities".

We've got people TODAY dying from meningitis-contaminated steroids and the crappiest builders in history with all the illegal aliens and you're trying to claim it will get WORSE??

I don't think it CAN...

Where is your evidence that they would? Can you show me anything that says Romney wants to end charitable deductions?

I didn't think so...

Ok, let's say you take the charitable deduction off the table. That was one of the deductions among those that are supposed to be used to make Romney's tax plan revenue neutral.

Now that that's gone, which as i recall is about 47 billion a year in lost tax revenue,

where does Romney get his offsetting 'loophole' closings to make a 5 trillion dollar tax cut revenue neutral and to make the tax liability for the rich stay where it is?

AGAIN.... Where is your evidence that they would? Can you show me anything that says Romney wants to end charitable deductions?

I offered you the alternative scenario. Take the charitable deduction off the table. Romney still has to offset his tax cuts with 'loophole' closings.

Tell us how he does it. Does the mortgage interest deduction go? Is there political support for that? Is that a good one to throw at the already weak housing market?\

You don't seem to get that the big knock on Romney's tax plan is that he'll never come up with the loophole closings and credit/exemption/deduction endings he's claiming he would.

Last edited:
Oh no.. the Clintons might not be able to get full value out of Bill's used underwear. What will they do?

We've got people TODAY dying from meningitis-contaminated steroids and the crappiest builders in history with all the illegal aliens and you're trying to claim it will get WORSE??

I don't think it CAN...

I know Romney will do nothing to improve the situation; the deregulation began under the Bush boy. The DEATHS continue.

...why would they propose a tax plan that gets rid of the tax deduction for charitable giving?

Or should we logically assume that the charitable deduction is off the table as far as Romney/Ryan are concerned when they're talking about getting rid of various tax deductions/credits/loopholes etc.,

HERE before you shoot your mouth off about something YOU evidently can't even do basic research on...LET ME help you !

First know what kind of deductions you are talking about OK??
Second based on the below, charitable contributions were $46.8 billion in 2008 or 7% of total deductions of $653.7 billion.
Third the plan has ALWAYS been to REDUCE NOT eliminate.. and in this case since MOST of the deductions are from millionaires LIKE OBAMA who took 14% of his taxable income,
Romney's plan would reducing those deductions based on taxable income, i.e. millionaire like Obama reports $1.5 million then he wouldn't be able to take 14% but maybe only 1/4th of that off his taxes.. do you get it???

So before you criticize something you obviously know very little about,, read the below table and see the realities of DEDUCTIONS, LOOPHOLES..ETC...
Child credit for example would most likely also be means tested, you know what that means??

Ranked by size the type of deduction and the amounts written off against taxes in 2008

Amount of
Deduction Type of deduction that government ALLOWS tax payer to subtract from taxes

• [*]$131.0 billion Exclusion of employer medical insurance premiums and medical care
    [*]$117.7 Net exclusion of pension contributions and earnings
    [*]$ 88.5 Deductibility of mortgage interest on owner-occupied homes
    [*]$55.9 Accelerated depreciation of machinery and equipment
    [*]$49.1 Deductibility of non-business state and local taxes
    [*]$46.8 Deductibility of charitable contributions
    [*]$31.5 Deferral of income from controlled foreign corporations
    [*]$30.0 Capital gains exclusion on home sales
    [*]$29.1 Deductibility of State and local property tax on owner-occupied homes
    [*]$28.4 Child credit
    [*]$24.2 Capital gains (except agriculture,timber, and coal)
    [*]$21.5 Step-up basis of capital gains at death
$653.7 billion

SOURCE: What are the largest tax expenditures?

READ THE SOURCE then comment OK???

I can't speak for Romney/Ryan. I think they're completely full of shit.

But....

The conviction that society can voluntarily care for those who fall through the cracks is a completely separate issue from the issue of whether the tax code should be used to manipulate society or not.

HERE before you shoot your mouth off about something YOU evidently can't even do basic research on...LET ME help you !

First know what kind of deductions you are talking about OK??
Second based on the below, charitable contributions were $46.8 billion in 2008 or 7% of total deductions of $653.7 billion.
Third the plan has ALWAYS been to REDUCE NOT eliminate.. and in this case since MOST of the deductions are from millionaires LIKE OBAMA who took 14% of his taxable income,
Romney's plan would reducing those deductions based on taxable income, i.e. millionaire like Obama reports $1.5 million then he wouldn't be able to take 14% but maybe only 1/4th of that off his taxes.. do you get it???

So before you criticize something you obviously know very little about,, read the below table and see the realities of DEDUCTIONS, LOOPHOLES..ETC...
Child credit for example would most likely also be means tested, you know what that means??

Ranked by size the type of deduction and the amounts written off against taxes in 2008

Amount of
Deduction Type of deduction that government ALLOWS tax payer to subtract from taxes

• [*]$131.0 billion Exclusion of employer medical insurance premiums and medical care
    [*]$117.7 Net exclusion of pension contributions and earnings
    [*]$ 88.5 Deductibility of mortgage interest on owner-occupied homes
    [*]$55.9 Accelerated depreciation of machinery and equipment
    [*]$49.1 Deductibility of non-business state and local taxes
    [*]$46.8 Deductibility of charitable contributions
    [*]$31.5 Deferral of income from controlled foreign corporations
    [*]$30.0 Capital gains exclusion on home sales
    [*]$29.1 Deductibility of State and local property tax on owner-occupied homes
    [*]$28.4 Child credit
    [*]$24.2 Capital gains (except agriculture,timber, and coal)
    [*]$21.5 Step-up basis of capital gains at death
$653.7 billion

SOURCE: What are the largest tax expenditures?

READ THE SOURCE then comment OK???

What does any of that have to do with the original question?

I asked if the charitable deduction is on or off the table.

Is it or isn't it?

Should it or shouldn't it be?

I don't know, but I would kinda doubt it.

I also doubt it would make a bit of difference to you anyway, you don't seem like the 'charitable' type.

Most Libtards aren't, so you're in good company...

The question is, why would conservatives want to end the charitable deduction, and disincentive charitable giving,

You really think that's the only reason people give to charity?

As someone who created and ran a charitable organization, and who sits on the board of another charitable organzation, I can tell you it is a good bet that donations to charitable organizations would decline if the tax deduction for those donations was eliminated.

I agree, they would.

I've heard a lot of rumblings about ending the tax exempt status of charities though.

Rumblings?

Liberals have wanted to tax churches for 40 or more years

Is it or isn't it?

I also doubt it would make a bit of difference to you anyway, you don't seem like the 'charitable' type.

It doesn't matter to me, I have never taken deductions on my charitable donations.

Of course NO LINK.

The worst cheap ass of all time is Joe Biden when it comes to donations.

Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden and his wife gave an average of $369 a year to charity during the past decade, his tax records show.

Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama's campaign today released 10 years' worth of tax returns for Biden, a senator from Delaware, and his wife Jill, a community college instructor. The Bidens reported earning $319,853 last year, including $71,000 in royalties for his memoir, Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics.
Biden gave average of $369 to charity a year - ABC News

biden-stays-on-message.jpg

Is it or isn't it?

I think that their should be a limit to it.. I think you can only a certain amount. Not a percentage but up too

If charity truly is important to you, why do you need a tax deduction in order to do it?

Granted, I havent seen any evidence that they plan on cutting the charitable deduction. But isn't charity supposed to come from the heart and not the wallet?

Safe medications like those that caused all those cases of meningitis, some 137 victims with 13,000 more at risk that the FDA did NOT catch?

Or maybe that parking garage that collapsed the other day. They're still looking for bodies. How'd that government oversight work out?

Here's why you're a mindless nanny state sheeple:

The people CANNOT sue the government and their regulatory agencies when they fail miserably. The people cannot even fire the bureaucrats that failed to do their jobs. If private industry failed like your dear leaders, the people COULD sue, they could demand change and they could be compensated for their losses.

That you continue to support more and more central planning is just one of the ways in which you've expressed your lack of critical thinking. Good luck with that.

You really think that's the only reason people give to charity?

Of course not. Are you retarded?

Forum List

Back