If people want legal pot, then its up to congress to change the law

`
`

Ideally, the federal law needs to be changed first. Federal statues can be changed to decriminalize the production, distribution, sale and possession of marijuana, specifically in states that allow such acts are licensed and taxed by the states that allow it.

The framework is available via the 21st amendment.

Just consider Pot to be the same as alcohol, and the States can regulate it as they see fit.

All the feds then have to worry about is watching interstate trade of pot, specifically into jurisdictions which don't want it.

I am totally for legalizing it. Legalize all of them. In fact, i think its complete bullshit when the govt tells you what to do with your own body. However, it is STILL federal law.
Your argument sets up a HUGE precedent.
In what way does it set up a huge precedent?
Just because a state is doing fine with regulating something illegal, doesnt mean they should tell federal law to go fuck itself and they should just sit back and fuck themselves.
I do like how are showing your support for states rights though. Its refreshing.
It's not about states rights with me--don't get excited. It's about a law that needs to change because just like with Prohibition, a great number of people are smoking pot and have been for ages, and for those who can't buy it legally it is just fueling the black market. If it were regulated and taken out of the hands of the drug dealers who can also encourage you to try other, harder stuff, it would be much better for everyone. People are using marijuana. It's like North Korea having nukes. Accept it and tax it, get rich and shut up about it.
Since states have voted their approval of that, there is no reason why the federal government can't change an outdated and initially ignorant law.
I wish they would. Its a damn flower that grows in a ditch FFS
But you basically said the states should tell federal law to go fuck itself. Thats where we part ways.
And thanks for the blue balls..
In India, maybe. If you've got it growing in your ditches, I'll bet you've got one popular road.
It grows wild in some areas in certain states. It's been treated so that you can't get high from the buds.

Glen "Instapundit" Reynolds gets to the crux of the argument. It's time to put up or shut up for all those congresscritters who talk about supporting pot legalization.

Here's a novel idea: If you don't like Jeff Session's marijuana decision, change the law

There’s even a bill in front of Congress to do just that, HR 975, the Respect State Marijuana Laws Act, introduced by Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., in 2017. It has bipartisan sponsorship, divided roughly evenly between Republicans and Democrats.

So why are Gardner, et al. attacking Sessions instead of speaking out in favor of new legislation?

Well, for one thing, it’s easy. Passing bills is work, denouncing Sessions requires only a press release — or in this case, a few tweets.
I've been thinking about that. It would make sense. And according to the polls, over 60% of the American public believes it should be legalized, so it shouldn't really be that hard a push. Maybe after the 2018 elections.
It amazes me that this administration can continue to dig into its bag of tricks and find more dead carcasses to wave before the people. How fucking stupid and unlikeable is the idea of prosecuting marijuana business in states that have made it legal and are regulating it just fine on their own.
Someone needs to slip Sessions a brownie. He needs to expand his mind a bit.

Or maybe the administration is just trying to get congress off its ass on the issue.
Any attempts to get Congress off its ass are a good thing. However, it seems the President is making a "habit" of throwing everything sticky and controversial their way--DACA, Iran nuclear agreement, now (by default) legalizing marijuana. There is only so much you can expect from that creaky jointed body at one time. Their plate is already too full for the next three months (including the budget) so to pile on more and more may make policy sense, but it will not work.

Glen "Instapundit" Reynolds gets to the crux of the argument. It's time to put up or shut up for all those congresscritters who talk about supporting pot legalization.

Here's a novel idea: If you don't like Jeff Session's marijuana decision, change the law

There’s even a bill in front of Congress to do just that, HR 975, the Respect State Marijuana Laws Act, introduced by Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., in 2017. It has bipartisan sponsorship, divided roughly evenly between Republicans and Democrats.

So why are Gardner, et al. attacking Sessions instead of speaking out in favor of new legislation?

Well, for one thing, it’s easy. Passing bills is work, denouncing Sessions requires only a press release — or in this case, a few tweets.
I've been thinking about that. It would make sense. And according to the polls, over 60% of the American public believes it should be legalized, so it shouldn't really be that hard a push. Maybe after the 2018 elections.
It amazes me that this administration can continue to dig into its bag of tricks and find more dead carcasses to wave before the people. How fucking stupid and unlikeable is the idea of prosecuting marijuana business in states that have made it legal and are regulating it just fine on their own.

Or maybe the administration is just trying to get congress off its ass on the issue.
Any attempts to get Congress off its ass are a good thing. However, it seems the President is making a "habit" of throwing everything sticky and controversial their way--DACA, Iran nuclear agreement, now (by default) legalizing marijuana. There is only so much you can expect from that creaky jointed body at one time. Their plate is already too full for the next three months (including the budget) so to pile on more and more may make policy sense, but it will not work.

It's their constitutional duty. They need to be reminded that they have a role in the government besides the budget and naming Post Offices.

In what way does it set up a huge precedent?
Just because a state is doing fine with regulating something illegal, doesnt mean they should tell federal law to go fuck itself and they should just sit back and fuck themselves.
I do like how are showing your support for states rights though. Its refreshing.
It's not about states rights with me--don't get excited. It's about a law that needs to change because just like with Prohibition, a great number of people are smoking pot and have been for ages, and for those who can't buy it legally it is just fueling the black market. If it were regulated and taken out of the hands of the drug dealers who can also encourage you to try other, harder stuff, it would be much better for everyone. People are using marijuana. It's like North Korea having nukes. Accept it and tax it, get rich and shut up about it.
Since states have voted their approval of that, there is no reason why the federal government can't change an outdated and initially ignorant law.
But you basically said the states should tell federal law to go fuck itself. Thats where we part ways.
In India, maybe. If you've got it growing in your ditches, I'll bet you've got one popular road.
It grows wild in some areas in certain states. It's been treated so that you can't get high from the buds.
Treated? By whom? Damned Sessions, I'll bet. What a party pooper.

It's their constitutional duty. They need to be reminded that they have a role in the government besides the budget and naming Post Offices.
Let's not forget endless political payback investigations of everyone who looks at you funny.

Lol..by the state, whatever department is designated to handle the problem. It's basically just hemp.

Let's not forget endless political payback investigations of everyone who looks at you funny.

Those too.

Lol..by the state, whatever department is designated to handle the problem. It's basically just hemp.
We can't even get them to mow the weeds back anymore around here anymore. It's DOT.

Oh I certainly agree that changing the Federal law is the way to go- but as I said before I don't think Congress has the balls to do it.

But thanks for starting the discussion and sharing the article.

I will say again- if Trump wanted to do something to bring the two parties together- if he backed this bill it would pass.

I doubt he will- but that would be a display of leadership that would solve a national issue.

Oh I certainly agree that changing the Federal law is the way to go- but as I said before I don't think Congress has the balls to do it.

if they dont have the balls then there will be plenty of people getting on them to find their balls....

Either Congress has to get off it's ass, or we will have tons of court cases that will last decades.

if they dont have the balls then there will be plenty of people getting on them to find their balls....

Not sure if it has that much support to override people's other voting concerns. It may be an issue in close races, however.

`
`

Ideally, the federal law needs to be changed first. Federal statues can be changed to decriminalize the production, distribution, sale and possession of marijuana, specifically in states that allow such acts are licensed and taxed by the states that allow it.
Ideally we would give up on the failed experiment of 50 individual states. It isn`t working out so well.

`
`

Ideally we would give up on the failed experiment of 50 individual states. It isn`t working out so well.
why do you say that?

Not sure if it has that much support to override people's other voting concerns. It may be an issue in close races, however.
if the links i have seen posted around here are true, if 80% of the people want pot to be decriminalized at the federal level,then i would think it would have a lot of support for at least decriminalizing the stuff......

Either Congress has to get off it's ass, or we will have tons of court cases that will last decades.

I can't see that being a motivating factor for Congress.

The motivation are
a) Votes and
b) Sound bites that can prevent getting votes

I believe- and I hope to be proven wrong- that most Congresspersons are too terrified of their opponent calling them 'soft on drugs' or 'soft on crime' than to do the rational thing.

if the links i have seen posted around here are true, if 80% of the people want pot to be decriminalized at the federal level,then i would think it would have a lot of support for at least decriminalizing the stuff......

Yes, in a survey, but push comes to shove will they prioritize it over other voting concerns, or the usual incumbent advantage.

I also have a feeling that in most places it might be the one thing both candidates agree on, yay or nay.

I can't see that being a motivating factor for Congress.

The motivation are
a) Votes and
b) Sound bites that can prevent getting votes

I believe- and I hope to be proven wrong- that most Congresspersons are too terrified of their opponent calling them 'soft on drugs' or 'soft on crime' than to do the rational thing.

You are probably right.

Forum List

Back