If Mittens didn't want to run, then why did he?

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
It's now coming out that Mittens didn't really want to run, according to his son Tagg.............

WASHINGTON — No one wanted to be president less than Mitt Romney, his son said in an interview out Sunday that raises new questions about the candidacy of the losing Republican nominee.

In an interview with the Boston Globe examining what went wrong with the Romney campaign, his eldest son Tagg explains that his father had been a reluctant candidate from the start.

After failing to win the 2008 Republican nomination, Romney told his family he would not run again and had to be persuaded to enter the 2012 White House race by his wife Ann and son Tagg.

"He wanted to be president less than anyone I've met in my life. He had no desire... to run," Tagg Romney said. "If he could have found someone else to take his place... he would have been ecstatic to step aside."

Mitt Romney "is a very private person who loves his family deeply and wants to be with them. He loves his country, but he doesn't love the attention," his son said.

Romney, a former Massachusetts governor and multi-billionaire businessman, has been widely criticized for blaming his loss in the November 6 election on President Barack Obama's "gifts" to Latinos, women and the poor.

AFP: Romney didn't want to run for president, son says

So...............my question is, why DID he? He started his campaign for 2012 almost right after he lost the bid in 2008, and there were many others who a lot of conservatives thought would have a better chance against Obama, so why didn't Mittens just drop out like Rick Perry or Newt Gingrich?

If a person really doesn't want to run for president, then why did Mittens sink so much time, effort and money into it?

And.....................if he didn't really care about running, why did he pretty much carpet bomb all the other candidates in the primary with negative ads?

Either way, this sounds fishy....................

Because he thought that, even though he didn't want it, he was a better option than all the other yahoos running for President?

I dunno. This might be why he came off as such a weak candidate.

It's now coming out that Mittens didn't really want to run, according to his son Tagg.............

WASHINGTON — No one wanted to be president less than Mitt Romney, his son said in an interview out Sunday that raises new questions about the candidacy of the losing Republican nominee.

In an interview with the Boston Globe examining what went wrong with the Romney campaign, his eldest son Tagg explains that his father had been a reluctant candidate from the start.

After failing to win the 2008 Republican nomination, Romney told his family he would not run again and had to be persuaded to enter the 2012 White House race by his wife Ann and son Tagg.

"He wanted to be president less than anyone I've met in my life. He had no desire... to run," Tagg Romney said. "If he could have found someone else to take his place... he would have been ecstatic to step aside."

Mitt Romney "is a very private person who loves his family deeply and wants to be with them. He loves his country, but he doesn't love the attention," his son said.

Romney, a former Massachusetts governor and multi-billionaire businessman, has been widely criticized for blaming his loss in the November 6 election on President Barack Obama's "gifts" to Latinos, women and the poor.

So...............my question is, why DID he?

They needed someone who would fall on his sword for Obama, so it made sense to ask someone to run who didn't want to.

Conservatives have never really liked Romney. So how did he get nominated?

Our "choice" for president is an illusion.

Tagg is full of shit. It was obvious that Mitt would have done ANYTHING to win. If any of Tagg's horseshit is true, why were Mitt and Ann so devastated on election night? I'm not buyin' it...

Just more dishonesty from the Romney clan...

Last edited:
Because he thought that, even though he didn't want it, he was a better option than all the other yahoos running for President?

I dunno. This might be why he came off as such a weak candidate.

Well, if he didn't want the job, then why did he try so hard?

I'd never want to be president, because living in a fishbowl sucks. In my job in the Navy, I was one of the people that EVERYONE on the ship or in the squadron knew (PN), because I was the one taking care of their pay and service record. Anything I did (good or bad) was pretty much known all over the command within 24 hours.

But, my queston is, why is Tagg lying for his father? Is he thinking of this like Aesop's tale of the Fox and the Grapes? Because the fox tried and tried to get the grapes, but was unable to jump high enough, and then as the fox walked off, it said that it was okay he didn't get them because the grapes were probably sour anyway.

Is this the Romney equivalent of sour grapes?

Last edited:
Tagg is full of shit. It was obvious that Mitt would have done ANYTHING to win.

Pfft. You really do buy into the whole charade, dontcha?

Nothing Mitt said during his entire ****ing campaign was sincere. Remember his fake smiles and head tilts? He looked in pain the entire time. The only time he MIGHT have actually said something he meant was when he didn't even know he was being recorded.

Last edited:
Romney saw the disaster obama is and knew he could make things better. He failed to realize that so many wanted to drink the poison obama is pedaling. It tastes so good.

Tagg is full of shit. It was obvious that Mitt would have done ANYTHING to win. If any of Tagg's horseshit is true, why were Mitt and Ann so devastated on election night? I'm not buyin' it...

Just more dishonesty from the Romney clan...

Ever thought they were down because they knew what 4 more years of your dear leader would do to the country? Washington didn't want to be president either, he did it because the country asked him. A true sense of duty and love of country is something you will never understand.

He spent 56 million dollars of his own money. I have a hard time believing he didn't want it. I think his son is just making up excuses for his fathers' loss.

In any case, the election is over.

So...............my question is, why DID he? He started his campaign for 2012 almost right after he lost the bid in 2008, and there were many others who a lot of conservatives thought would have a better chance against Obama, so why didn't Mittens just drop out like Rick Perry or Newt Gingrich?

If a person really doesn't want to run for president, then why did Mittens sink so much time, effort and money into it?

And.....................if he didn't really care about running, why did he pretty much carpet bomb all the other candidates in the primary with negative ads?

Either way, this sounds fishy....................

Even the ancient Greeks knew about Sour Grapes.

If Mittens didn't want to be president, what is it about him that makes you conservatives think he would have been so great?

And.................right on cue..............the resident closeted homo who can't respond intelligently.

How's tricks Whorrior102? Still blowing dock workers for candy bars and spare change?

If Mittens didn't want to be president, what is it about him that makes you conservatives think he would have been so great?

Not necessarily great, just better.

Really? Even though he didn't want the job? And, what makes you think he wouldn't simply quit halfway through his term like Palin did?

Obama quit being President right after he finished the inaugural address and immediately switched back to campaign mode and stayed there until the 2012 election.

Forum List

Back