If I lived in Ca I would be pissed

With a stroke of his pen, California Governor Gavin Newsom has redirected part of the money you pay at the pump with the state’s gas tax to the railway system and other projects.
Assemblyman Patterson says, “One of the very first things Governor Newsom decides to do, is put forward an executive order and his people at Caltrans have decided they are going to terminate addition north and south freeway lanes on Highway 99 in Tulare and Madera County. I’m almost speechless with response to this.”
Assemblyman Patterson says, “When you pay for gas and you pay a gas tax, a railroad is not a highway. This is bait and switch. This is saying one thing and doing something else. I just think all who represent California both Democrats and Republicans have better step up and stand up and say Mr. Governor you can’t do this.”
CBS47 Investigation: Gov. Newsom redirects gas tax money. It won’t fund highways, railway system

It really is the ol' bait and switch....and the Ca. taxpayer once again is getting screwed.
This is liberalism on display
Been to LA many times

Their highway system is overburdened and air pollution has always been a problem. For one of our largest cities, their mass transit is almost nonexistent. Using gas tax to improve mass transit is a wise choice
RW, lived in that area for over 40 years.....they like their cars, mass transit has been a bust every time.
The major arteries are gridlocked at all hours. I remember trying to drive to LAX at 4:30 in the morning and still hitting traffic.
Bottom line is that Californians are not going to switch over to mass transit, it been tried and it's failed. They like their vehicles.

Californians live in SF and they take BART, even the Cable Cars

If the transit system is well planned out and accessible, it will be used
You are an optimist, in so ca, it hasn't worked.
I bet the Californians can't wait for the other shoe to drop
when they say they need more tax revenue to pay for it.

Democrats always need more money. They're like the bad child who has too many irrational needs but no way to pay for them except mommy, the taxpayer being mommy.

For people living and working in a city who don't travel, mass transit is great. I used to ride my bike 15 miles one way when I was young and fresh out of college. There was no use to owning a car. I'd get to work 30 minutes faster by bike. For rural folk, it won't work. The op is a huge NON story.

With a stroke of his pen, California Governor Gavin Newsom has redirected part of the money you pay at the pump with the state’s gas tax to the railway system and other projects.
Assemblyman Patterson says, “One of the very first things Governor Newsom decides to do, is put forward an executive order and his people at Caltrans have decided they are going to terminate addition north and south freeway lanes on Highway 99 in Tulare and Madera County. I’m almost speechless with response to this.”
Assemblyman Patterson says, “When you pay for gas and you pay a gas tax, a railroad is not a highway. This is bait and switch. This is saying one thing and doing something else. I just think all who represent California both Democrats and Republicans have better step up and stand up and say Mr. Governor you can’t do this.”
CBS47 Investigation: Gov. Newsom redirects gas tax money. It won’t fund highways, railway system

It really is the ol' bait and switch....and the Ca. taxpayer once again is getting screwed.
/----/ Progs are never upfront about their true agenda. If they were, they couldn't get elected dog catcher.

What is with the California hatred derangement syndrome? Move somewhere else. I don't live there so it's a huge massive non story. Who cares? California doesn't affect me nor the rest of the states.

What is with the California hatred derangement syndrome? Move somewhere else. I don't live there so it's a huge massive non story. Who cares? California doesn't affect me nor the rest of the states.
/----/ You can't be serious. So many trends that started in California migrate across the country. Even their stupid speciality gas and car regulations affect all states.
Council Post: How Will California's Consumer Privacy Law Impact The Data Privacy Landscape?

Plus lifestyle trends.
California basically IS the trend generator.

Sushi in the 60s
Yoga in the 70s
Bottled water in the 80s
Japanophile culture in the 90s
The smoking ban in the 90s.
California wine culture in the 90s.
The green/organic food movement of 2000s.
CA didn't originate it, but that state is always the first to start or grasp the trend.

Hippy culture, Skateboard culture, surfing culture, casual fashion culture, car culture and the breakdown of formal wear culture, modern day gay rights movement, pretty much all started in California and spread eastward if not the entire world. Although high fashion is still dominated my Milan/NY/Paris, casual fashion is dominated by california. Los Angeles is responsible for the breakdown of suits and hats of your grandfather's time and the emergence of casual wear/ one layered wear as work and everyday wear. The denim as everyday wear is a california trend, as well as premium denim (faded, low rise, bootcut etc.)
Architecturally, even Disneyland had a huge effect on how cities were built. Enclosed "city-tainment shopping centers" like Citywalk and Disneyland are in every city. The idea of a metropolis center-less city/suburb is an LA invention that's taken over the rest of the US. Culinarily, California cuisine (the idea of using locally/seasonally grown organic produce and meats centered around grilling) as well as New American cuisine asian/latin american/-influenced multicultural fusion cuisine had it's start in California, so pretty much the most important food movements of recent years have started in California except for molecular gastronomy which still has not caught on outside of Spain.

And then you have the whole internet phenomenon which really took hold in Silicon Valley as well as the "tech coast".

All in all, the state is the most influential when it comes to "lifestyle" trends.

Mass transit in California = mobile homeless shelters

Don't believe Democrats. They want to force as many people out of their cars as possible to clear the roads for them by making driving unaffordable.

Been to LA many times

Their highway system is overburdened and air pollution has always been a problem. For one of our largest cities, their mass transit is almost nonexistent. Using gas tax to improve mass transit is a wise choice
Maybe they need more carpool lanes. Democrats love those because they make traffic worse.
They have been installing those lanes all over the Twin Cities.
Usually empty so they now allow you to purchase a fast lane pass at a price. So now we have a lane dedicated to cheaters who cross the double white line and use it to pass slow traffic then dart back in, and it is now a lane for the rich and privileged who can afford 5 bucks a trip to save 5 minutes. Effectively turning the HOV lane into a toll lane.

Apparently these lanes are used by cheaters nationwide.
Single drivers are taking over Mass. carpool lanes - The Boston Globe

Screw mass transit.
The Twin Cities allows the homeless to ride the new light rail lines to keep warm. Actually encourages it.
Train to nowhere: Twin Cities light rail becomes home for the homeless
Nothing like a passed out drug addict, urine and vomit smells, to attract commuters out of their cars.
The bottom line is that Democrats are trying to lower Americans standard of living. They bring in needy homeless foreign nationals from anywhere and everywhere and force Americans to compete with them. They hire them under the table to keep wages down.

Better to build a rapid transit system than a wall across 2 thousand miles on our southern border.

WTF, you feel building a transit system for a small percentage of the population is better than a wall that will protect many in the country? You fricken libs don't have a dam clue...idiot.

Yes, transportation infrastructure has value. It helps the economy and allows for an efficient flow of goods and services

The wall is a monument to hate and fear and provides no economic value

Yep, sounds good but as usual you just spew BS. The cost of building Southern California metro rail is through the roof, cost of operating the metro rail is extremely high, and the ridership doesn't even come close to paying for it. I have ridden on the metro rail many times and have never seen or heard of any goods or services being transported. But hey, I'm sure that won't prevent you from spewing any more BS...idiot.

Better to build a rapid transit system than a wall across 2 thousand miles on our southern border.

WTF, you feel building a transit system for a small percentage of the population is better than a wall that will protect many in the country? You fricken libs don't have a dam clue...idiot.

Yes, transportation infrastructure has value. It helps the economy and allows for an efficient flow of goods and services

The wall is a defense of sovereignty.

Nothing more, no matter your hysteria.

Been to LA many times

RW, lived in that area for over 40 years.....they like their cars, mass transit has been a bust every time.
The major arteries are gridlocked at all hours. I remember trying to drive to LAX at 4:30 in the morning and still hitting traffic.
Bottom line is that Californians are not going to switch over to mass transit, it been tried and it's failed. They like their vehicles.

Californians live in SF and they take BART, even the Cable Cars

If the transit system is well planned out and accessible, it will be used

BART has never made money. It never will.If it were as popular as you claim, BART would be raking in the dough.

It doesn't.

Been to LA many times

the gas tax is for the highway.....use the railway tax for the railroads....

The wall is a defense of sovereignty.

Nothing more, no matter your hysteria.
Democrats spend billions on a web page for their healthcare scam, but don't want to spend a few billion on a wall to protect Americans from foreign nationals who come and go unchecked and unregulated at will.

Been to LA many times

I agree we need more mass transit....Californians love their cars, they need to get out of their comfort zone a bit. I bike, scooter and I hardly use mu car.
it might be to late for S.Cal,there are to many people and many more on the way....

Forum List

Back