US will have the smallest army since 1940

Smalest navy since 1915

Smallest AF ever

Per Leon Panetta - Sec of Defense

Smalest navy since 1915

Smallest AF ever

Good. I have worked in the defense industry, as military and civilian, since 1985. The waste and redundancy is out of hand.

Iran, Russia and China have reason to celebrate.

But, then, that's obama's point.

Smalest navy since 1915

Smallest AF ever

My dad had a saying for when people let their guards down (which makes them susceptible to predators):

"We're gettin' soft."

He did 3 tours in the service--WWII, Korea, Operation Snowbird (Cold War) Then he became a teacher, a coach, a school superintendent, and back to teaching. He didn't think getting soft was a good idea.

how much do all the other countries spend?

Irrelevant

No it's not.

US defense spending as a percentage of GDP is about half of what is was in the 1960s. The US ranks 8th worldwide in defense spending as a percentage of GDP. I agree that there is plenty of room for cuts in DOD. We pay out a lot on lazy contractors for example. The global obligations of the US military require lots of money. What other countries spend on defense has nothing to do with what this country has to spend in order to protect itself.

No fair salt, ganging up on me with truthmatters like that. You two are an awesome force.

Necessity is the mother of invention, and this may be, for all the wrong reasons, just what the Pentagon needs. We are quick to deploy our military but take too long to decide when to pull it back. This cut will force the military to think outside the box, something it has been too stubborn to do since the end of the Cold War. I'm not talking tactics; I'm talking national strategy. I know that the tactics have evolved. However, the Big Picture national strategy has not.

So we'll have to wait and see. Throwing money at it was never a smart thing; perhaps taking some of it away may actually do some good.

No the defense cuts have absolutely no reason for being as deep as they are other than it is a political move to secure the votes of the anti war democrats in the coming election year. A tactic to shift the view from the fact that the Afghan draw down was a complete failure and the pull out of Iraq only happened because Iraqis refused immunity for soldiers thus allowing the time table set by the Bush administration as it regards to a full withdrawal to be the only plan left on the table.

Smalest navy since 1915

Smallest AF ever

You wouldn't have a link on that would you?

Sounds made up

Defense cuts = Carter, Clinton, Obama

I smell a theme here.

Headquarters Marine Corps just announced cuts to the force by 15,000 over four years. I looked up Marine Corps end strength over the years. I looked at the years when I first was assigned to the Marines in the 1970s until now, and even though I knew from experience, it was interesting to see that that Marine Corps numbers dwindled during Democrat years and grew during Republican years. Check for yourself on the following link:

Marine Corps End Strengths

The same cuts applied to the other services as well during the same years.

Last edited:
"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Defense cuts = Carter, Clinton, Obama

I smell a theme here.

Headquarters Marine Corps just announced cuts to the force by 15,000 over four years. I looked up Marine Corps end strength over the years. I looked at the years when I first was assigned to the Marines in the 1970s until now, and even though I knew from experience, it was interesting to see that that Marine Corps numbers dwindled during Democrat years and grew during Republican years. Check for yourself on the following link:

Marine Corps End Strengths

The same cuts applied to the other services as well during the same years.

Oh, I know. During the Carter years, ships sat rotting at the piers. Morale was low. Ditto Clinton era. But you know this, as you and I are of roughly the same vintage. Best years - Reagan's terms.

Last edited:
Iran, Russia and China have reason to celebrate.

But, then, that's obama's point.

Why?

I can see Iran..because it might mean the US won't invade. They've been the subject of US shennigans for quite some time..like Operation Ajax.

But Russia and China?

US defense spending as a percentage of GDP is about half of what is was in the 1960s. The US ranks 8th worldwide in defense spending as a percentage of GDP. I agree that there is plenty of room for cuts in DOD. We pay out a lot on lazy contractors for example. The global obligations of the US military require lots of money. What other countries spend on defense has nothing to do with what this country has to spend in order to protect itself.

No fair salt, ganging up on me with truthmatters like that. You two are an awesome force.

We spend more on the military then all other countries, combined. It's the biggest part of the government.

So what now? You guys want a big government? :lol:

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Eisenhower was practically a prophet in this regard.

No it's not.

We spend more on the military then all other countries, combined. It's the biggest part of the government.

So what now? You guys want a big government? :lol:

And your Commie ass is well protected, so shuddup.

Forum List

Back