If all the partisan BS on the AZ shooting...

>

What I wonder is if the rhetoric is really any different then it was 50 or 100 years ago or if we've fundamentally changed how we view things.

In the past opinions evolved based on debate, based on newspapers, based on books. More and more it seems that opinion is based on short talking points, bumper stickers, 10-second sound bites, tweets, etc..., etc... In the past we examined issues, now we use marketing techniques to grab for attention.

>>>>

Time magazine did an article about how things used to be just as bad back in the day. Can't remember the title or the author...sorry. But like you, I just don't buy that. I think that this has to be the worst it's ever been...if only for the change in our culture where "anything goes" these days.

We went through a weird period of history...after a period where all news came from partisan rags (especially in the west half of the country, but certainly in the east, too)...to a point where we agreed that being non-partisan/objective was the ideal. We're back to partisanry...and I don't think we'll ever make it back.

I think it needs to be noted that the shooter was kicked out of school and arrested at least 5 times. I think the whole story has yet to come out but I find it hard to believe this guy didn't show any warning signs for his propensity for this kind of violence. Either someone in law enforcement was asleep or the laws themselves are in need or reexamination.

I am waiting for reports to indicate if he was formally diagnosed and treated for mental illness.

What is sickening is this senseless murder.

I had hoped all Americans would cooperate and work to keep this from ever happening again.

It seems not talking in violent images is just too much for some to do to help end this horrible sittuation the country finds itself in.

It will happen again and again because there will always be lunatics out there. Get it? Banning certain types of speech is your answer? :cuckoo:

No one is talking about banning anythingfrom what I have seen.

We are asking in as many ways of as we can think of ofr the right to PLEASE stop using gun cross hairs, reloading, being locked and loaded and wanting your people locked and loaded when talking to your ranks.

that seems just too much to ask of the right.

All we get in response is more insult and and a backing of the violent speach.

a "Rank" is a battle term. Try again TM

OK- Here's where we stand. A doctor can diagnose a person who has a dangerous mental illness without much difficulty. The law however claims that even tho the person is consumed with dangerous thoughts he still has rights that need protecting. When we protect a dangerously mentally ill person we are protecting an illness than can and has killed others.
Overtly tampering or altering the human brain scares the hell out of us yet the subtle ways it can be manipulated are commonplace and we don't give it a second thought. The right hand doesn't want to know what the left hand is doing.

OK- Here's where we stand. A doctor can diagnose a person who has a dangerous mental illness without much difficulty. The law however claims that even tho the person is consumed with dangerous thoughts he still has rights that need protecting. When we protect a dangerously mentally ill person we are protecting an illness than can and has killed others.
Overtly tampering or altering the human brain scares the hell out of us yet the subtle ways it can be manipulated are commonplace and we don't give it a second thought. The right hand doesn't want to know what the left hand is doing.

Very similiar circumstances to the Virginia tech shooter. This kid was mentally unstable, everyone knew it even to the point of asking him to leave the school. It's also just like the Fort Hood shooter.. Everyone aware, no one willing to do or say anything. Until of course it's too late.

Very similiar circumstances to the Virginia tech shooter. This kid was mentally unstable, everyone knew it even to the point of asking him to leave the school. It's also just like the Fort Hood shooter.. Everyone aware, no one willing to do or say anything. Until of course it's too late.

Willing, or able? Where his rights end and the next person's begin isn't always an easy line to figure out in advance.

Hindsight, unfortunately, is 20/20. :(

Willing, or able? Where his rights end and the next person's begin isn't always an easy line to figure out in advance.

Hindsight, unfortunately, is 20/20. :(

We either have to make physically dangerous thoughts illegal or eradicate them.

What is the answer? Lock up everyone that seems mentally unstable?

Seriously, Willow...you might qualify.

...makes you as ill as it makes me, vent here.

Advance warning: No politicizing. Violators will be negged and I am judge, jury and repecutioner. The rest of us deserve a chance to speak without being drowned out in your bullshit. Thank you for your cooperation.

It was making me physically ill the other night. Felt totally toxic after reading the partisan bullcrap.

Did a spiritual detox yesterday and I havent been back to those threads and ive been trying to avoid it when it feels too much. It's just horrendous. I cant imagine having so little charity for my fellow human being...

I think it has illustrated one thing, the people who do that don't deserve political power.

It will happen again and again because there will always be lunatics out there. Get it? Banning certain types of speech is your answer? :cuckoo:

No one is talking about banning anythingfrom what I have seen.

We are asking in as many ways of as we can think of ofr the right to PLEASE stop using gun cross hairs, reloading, being locked and loaded and wanting your people locked and loaded when talking to your ranks.

that seems just too much to ask of the right.

All we get in response is more insult and and a backing of the violent speach.

a "Rank" is a battle term. Try again TM

Sadly I think it might be possible TM smiled when she heard the news. She knows NOTHING of the shooter and she already giving us the facts... and the facts of course Dems good Reps evil... Shocking.

Very sad story and I hope everyone pulls through. Many people will be hurting because of their losses.

...makes you as ill as it makes me, vent here.

Advance warning: No politicizing. Violators will be negged and I am judge, jury and repecutioner. The rest of us deserve a chance to speak without being drowned out in your bullshit. Thank you for your cooperation.

It was making me physically ill the other night. Felt totally toxic after reading the partisan bullcrap.

Did a spiritual detox yesterday and I havent been back to those threads and ive been trying to avoid it when it feels too much. It's just horrendous. I cant imagine having so little charity for my fellow human being...

I think it has illustrated one thing, the people who do that don't deserve political power.

I haven't even bothered with the news to watch our fearless leaders in action but if the posts on some threads on this board are any indication I'm sure there are players on both sides on full spin cycle.

Toxic is a good word for it.

it is absolutely disgusting. i actually had someone tell me i was a hack because i was focusing on the KILLER and his mental psychosis instead of focusing on politics

can you believe that, actually, iirc, it was more than one person....the prevailing thought was he isn't to blame and our focus should be rhetoric caused him to do this

he is a sick person, period.

I turned on NPR just as they were looking to euro countries reporters to see what the rest of the world thought... EVERY SINGLE one said "right wing rhetoric."

Not a single person (reporter) was able to just focus on the actual person committing the crime, no no… Now this person that so far we don’t even know if he has voted yet once in his life was a Tea party favorite supporter/fanboy. The news is Fing r-tarded these days.

Here is a question to all you hate filled fucks… What % do you think the shooter represents of the conservatives in America? Oh boy I’d like to ask that question to the fucking hacks at NPR… Is it 100%? 50%???? 10%????????????? .00001%?????????? Yeah, no one wants to ACTUALLY say the shooter represents conservatives, as if they are mentally fucked up killers, because we all know the truth… They/You would go down in history as one of the most uneducated, bias, low life scum bad POS ever accidently pooped out.

And that’s my rant about how fucked it is to just see a killer, kill people and say HEY, THAT GUY IS FUCKING BAD REGARDLESS OF WHAT WAY THEY MIGHT VOTE…
I’m happy to see that some people can focus on a problem (the killer) rather than try and link “Hitler” to “whatever part they hate” kind of commando response.

These were my comments, left earlier today on the UK Daily Mail's website re: an Arizona shooting article:

Just to help clear any kind of smokescreen the media in the States is trying to whip up over this unspeakable tragedy -- NO ONE in Arizona condones this lunatic's actions. Neither does anyone here who supports the second amendment or a new currency (and let's examine that, shall we?). This guy should/shall be treated as the lone murderer that he his, and tried that way--unless some plausible argument for some kind of conspiracy can be found, and then and only then do we put some sort of meta-situational, politically-suggestive spin on it. It can't be both ways. You can't prosecute Arizona at large, and patriots protecting their homes and rights due to this singular crime. The state of AZ didn't shoot it's own wonderful representative in Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. Jared Loughner did. We will NEVER let the media spin and political opportunism dictate what this senseless tragedy is about. We will keep our wits, and better heads and angels of our nature will prevail. And the truth shall set us free.

Also, only if you act like Jared Loughner should you come under gov't suspicion and have your rights and guns taken away. The rest shall keep as they are.

Forum List

Back