If a "rich girl" gets pregnant

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chanel, Jul 21, 2009.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    does she qualify for all the freebies that the poor girls get? I realize welfare benefits vary from state to state, but I imagine the rules are similar. Would someone like Bristol Palin qualify for rental assistance, food stamps, WIC, etc...?

And if so - should they take advantage of these "entitlements"?

Your thoughts...

2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    If she doesn't live at home and has little evident means of support, probably.

3. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Those matters are determined by household income, do there are many factors. Though I don't think the mother should be allowed to keep the child if they require such assistance.

4. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Rental assistance and food stamps are based on your income and household size. WIC is available to every child until the age of 5 I believe and any pregnant mother.

KK, you make some of the most ignorant statements. What do you propose happen to the hundreds of thousands of children whose mothers receive some type of assistance?

5. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    :disbelief:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Why are you trolling, go back and read my post, I said many factors, though I typoed and accidentally said "do" instead of "though" as we were talking in general and I didn't care to mention each specific one and it's requirements and paperwork ... so your accusation is unwarranted, ignorant, and lame.

As for the second part ... those children cost us a fortune, people need to start being allowed adoption and many of those looking for adoption need to stop being so particular. Most in our state wind up in foster care anyway, and the mother remains homeless still using the system by getting pregnant soon after the last one is taken away.

7. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Do you like paying for the 14 children one of our local junkies has? Because you do, they are in foster care and she got pregnant only to get the money to buy more drugs, she even admitted as much. The only reason she hasn't had more is because she can't now, sterile, thank the gods.

8. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    But is it based on the parent's income or the teenager's (who has none)? Could the parents theoretically collect rental assistance to pay their mortgage? Would the single mom be entitled to cash assistance in addition to WIC?

The reason I ask is that I believe once a girl becomes a mom she is legally emancipated. I could be wrong, but I've heard it from several sources. My kids cannot get emancipated in order to qualify for financial aid for college, but I believe teen moms can.

Man - I shoulda had girls. lol

9. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    As pointed out, it depends on the program you are talking about. Food stamps for one are available to everyone and are based on household income versus resident count.

10. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    :lol: Well, that's a good example of one type of mother, but I think of the public assistance as being more for the helpless child in such unfortunate circumstances, and I agree there should be limits so as not to create an unintended incentive for such bad mothers as in your example. That being said, not all mothers who need assistance are so terrible that they should be forced to hand their children over to the state as your first post suggested.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1