If a person goes to sleep with a blocked nose, they will die of suffocation. I have a bad cold - how do I prevent myself from falling asleep?

Now I'm a Mod?

Goto Your Account > Privacy > Allow others to start conversations with you (Members Only).

I'm going to dinner now so you can PM me and ask me there. I'll be back later tonight.
Wanna share with me too? I think I know what it is. Thanks.

Not really.
It proves he died in his sleep nothing more.
I'm being serious when I say you should see a shrink because you are the first person I've ever heard say they're afraid to go to sleep with a stuffy nose.
He suffocated in his sleep and the coroner said it was because of the tampons blocking his nose.

In March, 1996, Mark Gleeson, 26, died when he intentionally blocked up his nose in a desperate bid to stop himself from snoring. He went to bed and died of suffocation because his nose was blocked.

I have a REALLY bad cold right now, my nose is fully blocked and I've been awake for days, the blocked nose is lasting longer than usual and I don't want to die so I'm wondering how everyone else manages to stay awake for a week or longer when they have a super rough cold?

Sleep propped up on pillows...it allows the jaw to relax and the mouth to open for breathing.

I don't know what happened to that Gleeson guy but BackAgain is right. Your reflexes will take over and you will breathe through your mouth.

I have sleep apnea.....when I sleep my throat actually closes...blocking air flow. My brain jump starts my heart to wake me up. So whatever caused his death, it wasn't the tampons in the nose.

Are there any actual scientific studies which back this up? I couldn't find any.

I have sleep apnea...the body wakes you up when your oxygen levels go down. Unless he was on meds that prevented that reflex, but it wasn't his nose blockage that killed him.

I have sleep apnea...the body wakes you up when your oxygen levels go down. Unless he was on meds that prevented that reflex, but it wasn't his nose blockage that killed him.
Maybe it was the old “toxic shock syndrome.”

The moral of the story is:

never shove used tampons up your nostrils.

Understood.
However sleep apnea at times is overlooked when one has a bad cold.
Please feel free to ignore the suggestion since you obviously have no regard for human life.
Pity you weren't aborted when the opportunity arose!

Okay! Can I take back the times I've upvoted you?

The news articles, which you didn't read, didn't say he died of sleep apnea, they say he suffocated in his sleep because of a blocked nose.

The news articles, which you didn't read, didn't say he died of sleep apnea, they say he suffocated in his sleep because of a blocked nose.

And I am telling you that I have sleep apnea which is worse than a blocked nose....my throat gets closed. His throat was open so as he struggled to breath his mouth would open, unless he was drunk or high and that reflex failed.

Also, this isn't the first case of someone dying because their nose is blocked, my friend just sent me this about how her friend's mother died:

''I sadly don’t remember all the details, I think we were about 8 or 9 at the time. She used a thing to stop snoring, it closed her nose and it was fine for some time, but one day when her husband woke up, she was just gone.. English is my second language, so I also don’t know how to word this well, but she basically just stopped breathing one night. Up until that point I didn’t think it was possible, and there might have been a reason she didn’t breath out of her mouth, but that part is not clear to me. She was young and healthy, and they didn’t find evidence of any disease. The whole family was really shaken up and traumatized by losing a healthy 30 something year old out of the blue''

Also, this isn't the first case of someone dying because their nose is blocked, my friend just sent me this about how her friend's mother died:

''I sadly don’t remember all the details, I think we were about 8 or 9 at the time. She used a thing to stop snoring, it closed her nose and it was fine for some time, but one day when her husband woke up, she was just gone.. English is my second language, so I also don’t know how to word this well, but she basically just stopped breathing one night. Up until that point I didn’t think it was possible, and there might have been a reason she didn’t breath out of her mouth, but that part is not clear to me. She was young and healthy, and they didn’t find evidence of any disease. The whole family was really shaken up and traumatized by losing a healthy 30 something year old out of the blue''

Hearsay.

🙄

No. I always had this instinct that if I fell asleep I would suffocate and die. Then, I read about Mark Gleeson's death, so it looks like my instincts were telling the truth. I think everyone stays awake when their nose is fully blocked, otherwise we'd constantly be hearing of people dying in their sleep from blocked noses. I'm wondering how everyone else manages to stay awake for days on end. Usually I get mild colds and I only get a fully blocked nose for two or so days but it's been four days now

You're a nut. How much education do you have?

Nasal packing, which results in the nose being completely blocked, can cause asphyxiation, simply because the nose is blocked. This is even listed as one of the complications.

nasalpackdeath.png

Nasal packing, which results in the nose being completely blocked, can cause asphyxiation, simply because the nose is blocked. This is even listed as one of the complications.

View attachment 717936

Thats a medical procedure and the nasal packing completely blocks breathing through the nose.
It's pretty clear that the problem is from the procedure,not a stopped up nose.

Forum List

Back