Did you know it's actually a myth that if you go to sleep with a blocked nose you will breathe through your mouth?

I get stopped up nose when I lay down to sleep during the winter time. Don't know why, but cold air always has done that to me.
I've always ended up with dry mouth from mouth breathing all night.

I've known a lot of people like this, that have breathing problems at night or when they are in a lying down position and end up breathing through their mouths. Whatever info you are reading is just one extreme end of the spectrum.

If you have problems breathing with a stuffed up nose, you might try some of these things...............

I use this one

View attachment 719292

saline spray
View attachment 719293

or other similar nose sprays....this one is supposed to be mild
View attachment 719294

humidifier helps me out during the winter a great deal
View attachment 719295

These help me a lot also
View attachment 719296

I've used these before too, before I found the silicone ones above
View attachment 719298
I too have nighttime sinus congestion and have had it for years. I’ve often awakened to a completely blocked sinus, even though I’m not sick with a cold. It’s very uncomfortable and almost impossible to sleep with this condition. My doctor told me it is a condition with unknown cause.

I’ve found the nasal strips and silicone nasal inserts work well. I’ve been using nebulizer of late with distilled water and hydrogen peroxide. It seems to help greatly.

I’ve never thought I might die in my sleep from this condition.

If you can then undergo a sleep apnea test, you may have sleep apnea.

I have. I'm at 93% for dangerous sleep apnea, which is the highest they've said they've ever seen.

Can't help it. Had a car wreck on black ice back when, and busted the center of my nose. When I lie down, one side of my nose closes up.
I have very bad hyper allergies which usually keep my nose "going" all the time.

Hot weather and cold weather will screw with my sinuses and mess up my breathing at night, if I forget to use a spray or my nose openers.

My insurance won't pay for the sleep machine I need, so I have to do what I can to get around it.

Those nasal strips that look like bandaids work really good, but after a year, they started giving me a rash.
So I stopped using them. A friends sister turned me on to the silicone nose openers. I can get those for cheap off ebay.

I have. I'm at 93% for dangerous sleep apnea, which is the highest they've said they've ever seen.

Can't help it. Had a car wreck on black ice back when, and busted the center of my nose. When I lie down, one side of my nose closes up.
I have very bad hyper allergies which usually keep my nose "going" all the time.

Hot weather and cold weather will screw with my sinuses and mess up my breathing at night, if I forget to use a spray or my nose openers.

My insurance won't pay for the sleep machine I need, so I have to do what I can to get around it.

Those nasal strips that look like bandaids work really good, but after a year, they started giving me a rash.
So I stopped using them. A friends sister turned me on to the silicone nose openers. I can get those for cheap off ebay.

Thats easily fixed through Rhinoplasty surgery.

Forum List

Back