Zone1 If a follower of Judaism simply cannot keep Shabbat, is there a way to make amends?

Again, I am addressing you and your situation, not the exceptions you looked for and found. Has it occurred to you that even looking for exceptions speaks about how serious one is about practicing a particular faith?

I say this as a Catholic Christian who is not at all disturbed by reports that come along saying American citizens aren't going to church/practicing their faith as much? Why have people join one in church/worship of God who aren't serious? Churches/denominations will be a lot stronger once the chaff blows away.

Ask yourself: Are you chaff looking for another home? If so, you won't be any more comfortable--or welcome--in Judaism.

Shockedcandadian, I know what I truly am trying to say gently must be coming across as harsh--even cruel--and I hope you will accept my word that I am speaking hard truths out of gentle concern. I would convert to Judaism before I would ever convert to a non-Catholic Christian denomination (which I often think of as Christianity Lite). It was Jesus and the Catholic faith that deposited me into the lap of God, and I cannot turn my back on that. I am where I am by God's Holy Spirit, and I very much trust that God's Spirit will lead you (and others) as well. I am not--in any way--trying to dissuade you, just noting that isn't it the hard narrow way we should follow, not the wide, easy path? May God bless your journey.
My belief in G_d is as strong as ever.

I didn’t realize all your questions were related to your decision to convert (or not). I just thought you were a naturally inquisitive fellow!

So tell me, if you would, what your current religion is and what it is about Judaism that makes it right for you.
I am inquisitive. My interest in Judaism as a religion goes back 20 years now so my curiousity /interest runs fairly deep.
I've learned much since then and the questioning by Rabbis and loyalty to the word of G_d appeals to me, beyond a more firm Faith in a supreme creator rather than a prophet.

I am inquisitive. My interest in Judaism as a religion goes back 20 years now so my curiousity /interest runs fairly deep.
I've learned much since then and the questioning by Rabbis and loyalty to the word of G_d appeals to me, beyond a more firm Faith in a supreme creator rather than a prophet.
Bear in mind….Jews do not consider Jesus a prophet, if that’s who you are referring to.

Bear in mind….Jews do not consider Jesus a prophet, if that’s who you are referring to.
Yes. Even Moses and Abraham are viewed as humans in Judaism, not G_d

lisa is a minister of apartheid for their heaven ... they do not recognize jesus at all, human or otherwise surly that would not be your conversion as well - jesus and the other two are not one in the same ...

their creation is what the heavens deemed on the 7th day as a sabbath ... moses did not understand the reason not to have to work, their work was completed.

lisa is a minister of apartheid for their heaven ... they do not recognize jesus at all, human or otherwise surly that would not be your conversion as well - jesus and the other two are not one in the same ...

their creation is what the heavens deemed on the 7th day as a sabbath ... moses did not understand the reason not to have to work, their work was completed.
They recognize Jesus as a human being and Rabbi. They don't mention his name in the context of religion. What is most important to me is how.seriously followers of a religion follow the tenets to be righteous and do good in this world.

Last edited:
Surely not everyone has Saturdays off from work. Or, they absolutely must refrain from rest for any number of reasons. any practitioners (or simply those in the know) have a recourse plan if you fail to properly rest during Shabbat? Maybe fast, ask for forgiveness etc. Thank you for your time.
It's a COMMANDMENT -- for all mankind, and not the Jews only. It carries the same weight as, "you shall not murder" and "you shall not commit adultery."

Of course you CAN keep God's Sabbath. You make the choice every Friday night.

They recognize Jesus as a human being and Rabbi. They don't mention his name in the context of religion. What is most important to me is how.seriously followers of a religion follow the tenets to be righteous and do good in this world.
Even if you most likely won’t pass muster ( Judgement ) and see your people again in an ( The ) Afterlife .

Even if you most likely won’t pass muster ( Judgement ) and see your people again in an ( The ) Afterlife .
The issue is that if Jesus didn't fullfill the book this is why the "second coming" is used.as.the fallback positiin. He was supposed to rise and force peace across the world. It is for this reason it is difficult for me to wrap my mind around it. He was a great man of peace, but, was he the son of G_d? With all I have experienced in life I am quite jaded to this concept especially as Christians have lost their way, supporting the worst among us.

According to whom?
The Old Testament. His arrival was supposed to be followed with a number of events most importantly an era of peace (which the world has never enjoyed). Furthermore, the trinty operates contrary to the Old Testament of "one G_d". Unless Jesus was G_d himself, which would betray the OT monolithic proclamation. I love Jesus and his message, I'm just not so certain about his role. What it means to be Christian has also.changed dratcially judging by the actions if many. Relying on so-called beliefs over actions doesn't jive with the bible nor my perspective.

Last edited:
There is a range of beliefs, as there are very few things that all Jews agree on. Some would say he is the amalgamation of folk beliefs, or of extant characters, others that he was a reformer of Judaism, others that he was a rejector of normative Judaism, and others, that he was a political person and the religious elements are secondary. And there are other opinions. Calling him a "rabbi" is a hard sell depending on how you define rabbi.

There is a range of beliefs, as there are very few things that all Jews agree on. Some would say he is the amalgamation of folk beliefs, or of extant characters, others that he was a reformer of Judaism, others that he was a rejector of normative Judaism, and others, that he was a political person and the religious elements are secondary. And there are other opinions. Calling him a "rabbi" is a hard sell depending on how you define rabbi.
He was a practising Rabbi in his time, I thought this was well accepted even by those who reject him outright.

He was a practising Rabbi in his time, I thought this was well accepted even by those who reject him outright.

jesus, the 1st century events and those that died with him were a repudiation of judaism - moses and the false 10 commandments - - and in retrospect the 4th century christian bible, christianity the religion of servitude and denial.

... please provide ever jesus claimed to be a - rabbi - or a messiah.

jesus, the 1st century events and those that died with him were a repudiation of judaism - moses and the false 10 commandments - - and in retrospect the 4th century christian bible, christianity the religion of servitude and denial.

... please provide ever jesus claimed to be a - rabbi - or a messiah.
I will do no such thing. Google could surely assist you in this endeavor however.

That's

That's not true according to Judaism. I said that seeking atonement for intentionally violating the sabbath is more complicated. I said neither that there is no atonement nor anything about a synagogue.
So, who is doing the atoning? There has to be someone who steps in and atones so that we can be redeemed. The redeemer of Israel. But, how is that done and who is the Redeemer of Israel?

Forum List

Back