Ideas for fixing minimum wage.

Your thoughts have been shown to be inaccurate as multiple municipalities and states have minimum wages about the FMW without the layoffs and inflation. It's not a "gut feeling", it's an analysis based on fact.

But please ask "why" again Timmy...

So, still just playing dodgem, eh?

Still not accepting the facts as they directly contradict your self-entitled "assumptions", eh?

I'm just trying to understand your views. Why don't you want to raise minimum wage to something meaningful? You hinted earlier that there were downsides, but apparently you don't want to say what they are.

For the fifth time, a 30% raise in pay is meaningful. Not many people have ever gotten a 30% raise at the same job.

Have you ever tried to raise a family on $15/hr? If your goal is to force wages that will give working people a decent standard of living, it needs to be closer to $30/hr. I'm just asking, why not go for that? Or even more? But you cannot, will not, answer. Is it something embarrassing? Why the games?
You are not supposed to raise a family on Minimum Wage. If Minimum Wage is all you can make you shouldn't have kids. If you can't support yourself you shouldn't be "allowed" to bring leeches into society to collect welfare.

Your arguments are idiotic but keep making them.
I'm not even making any arguments! I gave up on that a several pages ago. Now I'm just trying to get some kind of clarity on your position. But you can't, or won't, even answer a simple fucking question.

From earlier today:

" I think minimum wage causes unemployment and inflation."

That is your argument.

It has been demonstrated that neither is true as we have several states and municipalities that force companies to hire above the FMW and we have very low unemployment and little inflation although it is on the rise nationwide.

Your now arguing for a $30 minimum wage. It's almost as brazenly idiotic as thinking the MW causes unemployment while we have both a minimum wage and near record low unemployment at the same time.

But keep asking "why" Timmy....this is fun.

Thanks for the batting practice.

Still not accepting the facts as they directly contradict your self-entitled "assumptions", eh?

I'm just trying to understand your views. Why don't you want to raise minimum wage to something meaningful? You hinted earlier that there were downsides, but apparently you don't want to say what they are.

For the fifth time, a 30% raise in pay is meaningful. Not many people have ever gotten a 30% raise at the same job.

Have you ever tried to raise a family on $15/hr? If your goal is to force wages that will give working people a decent standard of living, it needs to be closer to $30/hr. I'm just asking, why not go for that? Or even more? But you cannot, will not, answer. Is it something embarrassing? Why the games?
You are not supposed to raise a family on Minimum Wage. If Minimum Wage is all you can make you shouldn't have kids. If you can't support yourself you shouldn't be "allowed" to bring leeches into society to collect welfare.

Wow...that's pretty stupid.

I'm not even making any arguments! I gave up on that a several pages ago. Now I'm just trying to get some kind of clarity on your position. But you can't, or won't, even answer a simple fucking question.

From earlier today:

That is your argument.

It has been demonstrated that neither is true as we have several states and municipalities that force companies to hire above the FMW and we have very low unemployment and little inflation although it is on the rise nationwide.

Your now arguing for a $30 minimum wage. It's almost as brazenly idiotic as thinking the MW causes unemployment while we have both a minimum wage and near record low unemployment at the same time.

Heh... alright. I give up!

From earlier today:

That is your argument.

Heh... alright. I give up!

Probably a good idea.

Minimum wage has nothing to do with the consumer price index and minimum wage is not meant to be a freaking career choice. Why should mom and pop stores be compelled to pay a shelf stocker more than the freaking job is worth? The unintended consequences to raising the M.W. is that small businesses will fire minimum wage people, invest in robotics and sweep the floors themselves.

I suspect that many of them will go out of business. It's hard enough to compete with the Walmarts and Amazons as it is, but throw in the higher labor costs and it gets damn near impossible. And for some small businesses, it's enough to just close up shop because the investment in time and money just isn't worth it.
who cares if we lose low wage jobs. they are a drag on our economy.

People who can only land low-wage jobs.
we are advocating for increasing the minimum hourly rate for a low wage job.

I lost my job because of a political post I made on Facebook. My job, selling car parts for Eckler's, decided they didn't like my political point of view, called me racist for being anti-muslim, and fired me. I was unemployed for more than the 10 weeks they paid unemployment for, got a job that I kept for a month before getting injured with multiple fractures to my left foot. I did not fall, jump, or anything they just fractured all by themselves. I am not qualified for short term disability because I wasn't employed long enough to get enough points for FAML whatever. I can't walk, not supposed to stand, I can't work and nobody is giving me money to pay my bills.

I'm also Bipolar and they won't give me disability for it either even though my bipolar has cost me a lot of jobs, getting me fired.

So what about me?

---
My sister has Liver Psorosious, severe menopause and periods and sometimes can't leave the house. Her medication puts her too sleep. She's been disabled for years but the government keeps denying her because they said she can still do a sit down job. How the fuck is she supposed to get to her sit down job?

---
The disability laws are a joke. You have to be homeless, for months, before you can qualify for disability. Or a game player and cheat the system.

We can always revisit disability, that's not the argument. The poster continually pops up and wants to be paid even though he chooses not to work. Not for disability, not for hard life circumstances, simply for choosing not to work.
You can't employ everyone, even in right to work States.

Capitalism has a natural rate of unemployment.

Compensation for that natural rate of unemployment is market friendly and provides automatic stabilization to our economy, along with ensuring liquidity.

If you will not work when you can work and there are jobs available, why do you deserve taxpayer money?
Firms fail all the time. People being able to quit means those who are the least motivated to work, won't have to.
I believe everyone willing to work should earn a living wage. But you believe that those able bodied but unwilling to work should be supported too? Why? What have they done to deserve being supported as leeches to society?
your morals don't matter. your economic arguments do.

it is not about morals but about ensuring capital circulates in our economy. this is Necessary to produce a Positive not negative, multiplier effect upon our economy.

Minimum wage has nothing to do with the consumer price index and minimum wage is not meant to be a freaking career choice. Why should mom and pop stores be compelled to pay a shelf stocker more than the freaking job is worth? The unintended consequences to raising the M.W. is that small businesses will fire minimum wage people, invest in robotics and sweep the floors themselves.

I suspect that many of them will go out of business. It's hard enough to compete with the Walmarts and Amazons as it is, but throw in the higher labor costs and it gets damn near impossible. And for some small businesses, it's enough to just close up shop because the investment in time and money just isn't worth it.

Bums like you are a drag on our economy.
lol. we are all talk and no action here. bums like You with Nothing but Fallacy, are the drag on our economy.

I've heard some stupid things, but that's a topper.
lol. the right wing prefers to subsidize the Rich because they are Worth it under capitalism?

If the job is worth doing it's worth doing by someone who can support themselves with more than a cot and slop. Working needs to come with a reward, and simply surviving isn't a reward.

So, maybe someone wants to do a job that isn't worth doing, by your standards. Why should that be illegal?
The capitalist can do it himself; that is not illegal.

If the job is worth doing it's worth doing by someone who can support themselves with more than a cot and slop. Working needs to come with a reward, and simply surviving isn't a reward.

So, maybe someone wants to do a job that isn't worth doing, by your standards. Why should that be illegal?
Good point.
But why should I be forced to work for those wages simply because I can't find a better job due to the influx of no skill wage earners across the border.
employment is at the will of either party. you should be able to receive unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed.

Good point.
But why should I be forced to work for those wages simply because I can't find a better job due to the influx of no skill wage earners across the border.

I don't think you should be forced to work at all.
employment is at the will of either party.

Good point.

I don't think you should be forced to work at all.
Then what good are you? What purpose do you serve? Why should society work to support you? What have you done to deserve their support?
Somebody has to work so you live, you can't just walk through the Garden of Eden and pluck sustenance from the trees.
quit your day job and try it. don't whine about it.

Your thoughts have been shown to be inaccurate as multiple municipalities and states have minimum wages about the FMW without the layoffs and inflation. It's not a "gut feeling", it's an analysis based on fact.

But please ask "why" again Timmy...

two adults working should be enough.

Dear Tornado Person:

No intelligent person wants to significantly increase the minimum wage. Notice that when the Democrats had control of both house and the White House in Obama's first term, NOTHING was done on the minimum wage.

The minimum wage ITSELF is an economic abomination. The price of EVERYTHING should be determined by the marketplace and everyone's right of contract. If I am willing to sweep floors for $5/hr, and there is an employer who desires to employ me at that rate to sweep his floors, WHAT RIGHT DOES GOVERNMENT HAVE TO STEP IN AND SAY WE CANNOT ENTER INTO THIS CONTRACT?

Seriously. How does Government get the right to do this?

There is a natural minimum wage in every place at all times. If I tried to hire a fast food worker in NYC for $8/hr, I would get no takers. $10, probably not. But there is a wage at which I could get the workers I want, and they would be willing to work for that wage. The numbers would be less in Keokuk, Iowa.

Democrats like to point to local Minimum Wage laws that are. harmless, to "prove" that increasing the minimum wage doesn't harm anyone. But they choose locations where the natural minimum wage is already far above the legal minimum wage, so that the local law is actually irrelevant. But look at what's happening in Seattle. Hours are being cut, business near the city limits are closing due to competition, people are losing their jobs.

And remember that the people who are hurt by this are the people at the bottom of the economic totem pole - the ones who can least afford the hit. People with no HS diploma, single parents working part time to make ends meet. And so on.

Any time the Government (or any supervening force) steps in and imposes a price (wage) that is higher than the natural minimum, three things occur: (1) the consumers of that commodity use less of it (i.e., hours and headcount are cut), (b) the consumers seek alternatives (automation, self-service), and (3) a black market is formed by people who will skirt the law for their own benefit.

Every minimum wage increase will reduce the chances of high school kids getting part time and summer jobs. At $15/hr, there are a LOT of retired people, working mothers, and others who had given up work, who will come out of the woodwork. And what employer would prefer a pimply high school kid to a retired grandmother?
Seattle you say? You`re long on verbiage but short on facts.
Seattle’s $15 Minimum Wage Experiment is Working
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
They Said Seattle’s Higher Base Pay Would Hurt Workers. Why Did They Flip?

`
In a small town close to me, Festus has been able to keep his hardware store going for the last 30 years. He tends to be expensive. He pays his experienced help about $9.00/hr and his runners (hard labor/lifting) about $12.00/hr. Despite his high prices, people go there because those experienced sales folk he has are damn near experts. Most are retired and work just to get out of the house. The runners are basically school kids. It's a friendly, family atmosphere.

A mandatory $15.00/hr would kill his business. This is just one of the many reasons I oppose a $15 minimum wage.
`

I've heard some stupid things, but that's a topper.
lol. the right wing prefers to subsidize the Rich because they are Worth it under capitalism?

Okay, that's even worse.

Forum List

Back