I went BBQ grill shopping today

Yankees barbecue if they cook anything on a grill. Us in the south, however, designate barbecue as a long process of cooking a piece of meat - usually pork ( Boston Butt or shoulder, for example) over low heat (175 - 250 F ) for a number of hours. The slow roast makes the meat tender, and we like to season with wood smoke (preferably hickory).

If you throw a steak or burger on the grill and just cook it up, that is grilling, not barbecuing.

You'll have to drive your rebel ass up to mass for some good "Yankee 'cue." Ribs, brisket, tri tip, pork butt...usually smoke veg/fruit for the homemade sauces....

One of the things I love about southern 'cue is the sauce being cooked on. There was a little roadside BBQ place south of Selma AL. We did a lot of work in Mobile, so we drove by it twice a week. Absolutely delicious pork butt and pulled pork. For an extra 25 cents you could request mostly outside meat, with the sauce cooked and blackened. It was heaven.

I usually mix it up between rubs and sauces, but each region of the south has their own style. Tough to go wrong with any slow smoked barbecue though, we'll, unless the person doing the cooking is a damn fool.

Some people need to remember that the sauce is supposed to accentuate the meat. The meat is not a delivery system for sauce.

I've cooked plenty of pork with little or no seasoning.

Yankees barbecue if they cook anything on a grill. Us in the south, however, designate barbecue as a long process of cooking a piece of meat - usually pork ( Boston Butt or shoulder, for example) over low heat (175 - 250 F ) for a number of hours. The slow roast makes the meat tender, and we like to season with wood smoke (preferably hickory).

If you throw a steak or burger on the grill and just cook it up, that is grilling, not barbecuing.

You'll have to drive your rebel ass up to mass for some good "Yankee 'cue." Ribs, brisket, tri tip, pork butt...usually smoke veg/fruit for the homemade sauces....

One of the things I love about southern 'cue is the sauce being cooked on. There was a little roadside BBQ place south of Selma AL. We did a lot of work in Mobile, so we drove by it twice a week. Absolutely delicious pork butt and pulled pork. For an extra 25 cents you could request mostly outside meat, with the sauce cooked and blackened. It was heaven.

I usually mix it up between rubs and sauces, but each region of the south has their own style. Tough to go wrong with any slow smoked barbecue though, we'll, unless the person doing the cooking is a damn fool.

Some people need to remember that the sauce is supposed to accentuate the meat. The meat is not a delivery system for sauce.

I've cooked plenty of pork with little or no seasoning.

Ab-soooo-lutely! I usually make milder sauces that work well with a couple different meats (blueberry Chipotle, awesome on shrimp btw, apple jack) or added after for those that want em. Butt usually get a yellow mustard bath then a heavy rub and sit overnight. Maybe a baste or two along the way. Beef salt and pepper, chicken is anything and everything.

My personal favorite is called a "fattie," bacon weave gets a quarter inch or so of any type of uncooked sausage or sausage mix. Then a generous heap of filling of your choice (mac n cheese, apples n cheese, pancakes, meat, whatever). Then roll it upto make a giant bacon cased sausage, smoke on the higher end around 275. So damn bad for you but so damn good. Keep that to a once a year thing at parties so I can't eat too damn much lol.

So it was almost 80 here in MA today...2 racks of ribs smoked for @5 hrs (silver skin pulled and a dry rub marinade for 12 hrs). A 30 yr old garbage disposal died and was replaced. The king shepherd poked his nose through the back window screen, I guess he thought the BBQ smelled good. I'll fix that later this week.

The 19 month old gave his 2 ribs to the dogs...one bone disappeared...my money is on the mutt that almost choked pulling chix wing bones put of the garbage...

Forum List

Back