I watch Piers Morgan Live...

I believe there has been one mass shooting in Australia since the confiscation of guns from law abiding citizens. I'll stand corrected if proven wrong.

You can’t prove a negative. IOW, you need to show a mass shooting since the ban to establish that it occurred.

I believe that you are incorrect though mass KILLINGS have occurred after the ban.

More mass killings are done with artillery and bombs and gas chambers and chemical weapons than are done with guns. In our own history, the attack on our embassy in Lebanon, the Oklahoma City bombing, the attack on the Cole, 9-11, all done without the use of guns. The Boston bombers intended to kill and maim many, but they didn't use guns. Take away the guns and those intending to commit mass murder will find a way. Does it really matter to you if your loved ones are shot to death or blown up with dynamite or whatever?

It is not the guns that are the problem but the culture itself. Provide a culture built on solid values of personal responsibility, integrity, and value for life, and you will have very little violent crime. Switzerland enjoys a very peaceful society even though it is among the world's most heavily armed nations.

Build a culture built on entitlement mentality, victim mentality, and hatred and blame of others for all your problems, and lack of respect for life, and you will have much violent crime.

Oh, I agree. Don’t get me wrong, I was not stating that the gun laws were effective. I was simply stating that the onus here was on the one making the claim instead of other to provide proof of a negative.

I believe there has been one mass shooting in Australia since the confiscation of guns from law abiding citizens. I'll stand corrected if proven wrong.

You can’t prove a negative. IOW, you need to show a mass shooting since the ban to establish that it occurred.

I believe that you are incorrect though mass KILLINGS have occurred after the ban.

Monash University shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At 11:24am on 21 October,[1] Huan Yun "Allen" Xiang[2] a commerce student at the university,[3] armed with six loaded handguns, opened fire in room E 659 of the Menzies Building on Monash's Clayton campus[4] in an econometrics class containing twelve students.[5] People in the classroom were initially confused by the noise and by Xiang screaming "You never understand me!" from the desk he was standing on.[5]

Xiang killed two students in the room:[2][6]

Xu Hui "William" Wu, an international student from Hong Kong and neighbour of Xiang's in Melbourne; and
Steven Chan, a student from Doncaster.

Xiang wounded five others:[3][5][6][7]

lecturer Lee Gordon-Brown, who was shot in the arm and knee;
student Daniel Urbach, who was wounded in the shoulder and arm;
student Laurie Brown, who was wounded in the leg and abdomen;
student Christine Young, who was shot in the face; and
student Leigh Dat Huynh, who was discharged from hospital within a day.

When Xiang stopped shooting and moved to switch weapons, Lee Gordon-Brown, the injured lecturer, grabbed Xiang's hands as he reached into his jacket. Gordon-Brown and a student in the room, Alastair Boast, a trained wing chun practitioner, tackled him.[3][5][8][9] Bradley Thompson later entered the room and discovered five guns in holsters around Xiang's waist, including two Berettas, a Taurus, a .357 Magnum and a .38-caliber revolver, as well as two magazines from near his hip.

Gordon-Brown and Boast were assisted by a passing lecturer from a nearby room, Brett Inder, to restrain Xiang for thirty minutes until police arrived, while Thompson and university administrator Colin Thornby, provided first aid. They both received Red Cross "Community Hero" awards for their assistance. [1][4][10][11] At least one injured student reportedly left the room and sought help for his injuries from security staff.[12]

Xiang was deemed by police to be unfit for interview but wrote a note referring to William Wu after his arrest saying "I finally ended WW's life."[1][5]

All classes in the Menzies Building were cancelled for the rest of the day and the university set up counselling stations.[12]

Thank you for the reference. I have a pretty good idea what the response will be but I will wait and see.

One thing is guaranteed by the enactment of more strict gun laws in the USA: Criminals will not abide by them and will have increased assurance that their victims will likely NOT be armed.

Australia is not the USA. Australia did not fight a war to become a free nation. Australia has not had its own internal war. Australia's population is roughly 24 million....the USA, about 315 million. Australia has more strict immigration policies (they did not admit fat people :lol:).

Comparing Australia to the USA is not a valid test.

In Piers' not so great Britain, criminals are reverting to knives to rob and kill innocent victims. UK is a titular MONARCHY where the people seem to enjoy being subjects of the Royal Family. (What a ridiculous arrangement!)

In little ole Kennesaw, Georgia, where each household is required by law to have a working firearm, the crime rate is lower than most other places in the USA.

The argument that stricter gun control would make us safer is pure emotion and poppycock. Guns are NOT going to disappear from the hands of criminals. The most effective defense against an armed criminal is an armed citizen.

Asa as much as I love you man,Australia is a world leader in many things,your dismissal of our gun-law policy is way out of line.

We decided many years ago that the general public were not permitted guns(apart from farmers and shooting clubs etc,.who are strictly controlled),Only the Military and the Police are allowed to carry guns,people professionally trained to use a firearm.

Well common sense and a fluid mentality should and does here in Paradise make the reality of NO GUNS a safer place to live..........your comparison of the difference in population ratio's is a complete furfy(nonsence)........Your comparision of Australians not having to have a war of independence is futile and irrelevant.....by the way America since independence have been continually at war with someone.......I like many others think a lot of Americans have deep seated introverted siege mentality......hiding behind some amendment your forebears put into law....these very outstanding men were right at the time but if they were alive today with all the mass shootings and murders ad-nausium sic would most definitely repeal such a law.These were educated men.

After the Port Arthur massacre and the Gun Buy Back.......we had the US National R.A here spewing their discredited Bullshit.....The Australian Government rightly thew them out of the country.....this discredited organization have such political power (they pay off Congressmen in the most blatant fashion to persue their agenda)Ghastly that it is.

No your summation like so many is totally flawed.

Americans who have been Welcomed to these shores,find it amazing that we have such a Gun policy but love the safety and way of life here.

We have a special bond with the US and when your Navy are here for R+R,families open their doors to them litrally,you can ask any Military person from the US and they will confirm this.

America could and should learn from us,our outstanding Health Care,Aged Care,Unemployment and Safety Net system.....Our policy of plain cigarette packaging,which has reduced folk smoking which the US tabacco industry try to kill.

No we always fight above our weight...AND WIN.

SAY NO TO GUNS........there is NO SAFETY IN YOUR GUN LAWS,infact quite the contrary.

Asa,don't take this personally,but how on earth do Americans think that by carrying a Gun or High Powered Weapon can be safer!!!!!!!!!!!!.steve

ps excuse and Grammar or Spelling errors today
[MENTION=31101]theliq[/MENTION]

Steve...

try this... Violent Crime Rates U.S. VS Australia | Extrano's Alley, a gun blog

It appears your government is not totally forthcoming with crime stats. Why would that be? Are they trying to hide the FACT that gun confiscation hasn't improved the level of safety in the land down under?

Well if you believe all this discredited Rubbish Asa,then you'll believe anything...the National Riflemens Ass tried it and were given a swift boot out of the country.All these organizations want to do is expand the sales of arms.

No can do here.Asa why are you using such discredited and bullshit data to get your point across??steve

Sorry but Australia is not a place I'd ever want to live. To backward for me.

Well you have never been here,that's pretty obvious but that's fine,you should note though that your Military voted Australia as the best R+R destination...by a country mile.........Americans who visit really love the joint.

Papa,never make asumptions sic about a place or more importantly a people......backward is hardly a worthy comment about a nation that is an advanced, educated and an economically strong society.

steve......your opinion is just that.....an opinion.....not fact.

we think America is very backward in Health Care,Social Security,Aged Care etc,. But with a population your size we know full well that you are incredibly strong and talented in so many areas

Lovely Climate and a Happy People here though who earn a liveable wage and on the whole still work hard to enjoy ourselves as opposed to work to exist.

Come over Papa and try us out like so many Americans have.You may be surprised.steve.

Viva America,Viva Australia.......unlike so many we have freedom........by the way it's "Too Backward for me"

Last edited:

Well you have never been here,that's pretty obvious but that's fine,you should note though that your Military voted Australia as the best R+R destination...by a country mile.........Americans who visit really love the joint.

Papa,never make asumptions sic about a place or more importantly a people......backward is hardly a worthy comment about a nation that is an advanced, educated and an economically strong society.

we think America is very backward in Health Care,Social Security,Aged Care etc,. But with a population your size we know full well that you are incredibly strong and talented in so many areas

Lovely Climate and a Happy People here though who earn a liveable wage and on the whole still work hard to enjoy ourselves as opposed to work to exist.

Come over Papa and try us out like so many Americans have.You may be surprised.steve.

Viva America,Viva Australia.......unlike so many we have freedom........by the way it's "Too Backward for me"

Is it true that Fosters in Australian for beer?
[ame=http://youtu.be/bGvWVrGpvIE]Fosters | How to Speak Australian | Wireless - YouTube[/ame]

Hey, I said, I wouldn't want to live there, it's okay to visit, I would never want to live there. Military would visit, don't want to stay. It's just an R & R place by your own admission. Which climate is lovely? All of Australia or just parts.

I live in a great climate, I'm surrounded by happy people who work hard and enjoy the fruits of their work.

We love our country and our constitution. Been to Aussieland, it's a nice place to visit, never want to live their, you people aren't free.

[ame=http://youtu.be/bGvWVrGpvIE]Fosters | How to Speak Australian | Wireless - YouTube[/ame]

I think you mean Fosters IS Australian for beer. Well the funny thing is this Brew is made by Carlton and United Breweries in Sydney,.......they tried to sell it here but it was a complete failure some 20 odd years ago.You cannot buy it here,why it has become associated with Australia we don't really know.

But at the same time it was brewed in the UK and they love it big time,I think the brand was used in a couple of films and promo ads at the time,maybe Croc Dundee????but in Australia folk just didn't like and still don't Larger type Beers.....steve:cool:

Last edited:

Hey, I said, I wouldn't want to live there, it's okay to visit, I would never want to live there. Military would visit, don't want to stay. It's just an R & R place by your own admission. Which climate is lovely? All of Australia or just parts.

I live in a great climate, I'm surrounded by happy people who work hard and enjoy the fruits of their work.

We love our country and our constitution. Been to Aussieland, it's a nice place to visit, never want to live their, you people aren't free.

Well we are free and happy but we do have basic standard social rules,I was taking to a few of your Navy Guys good blokes but they were a bit upset when the cops told them that the couldn't drink beer on the beach or in a public place......but the police let them drink the rest of the opened bottles.steve,ps over 10,000 Americans live in Perth and surrounds and many become Aussie citizens,just sayin.

Papa what inparticular didn't you like here.

Last edited:

John see above my answer to you above Papas,I was answering you and his post in tandem

Last edited:

Once a penal colony...always a penal colony! ;)

Last edited:

Well we are free and happy but we do have basic standard social rules,I was taking to a few of your Navy Guys good blokes but they were a bit upset when the cops told them that the couldn't drink beer on the beach or in a public place......but the police let them drink the rest of the opened bottles.steve,ps over 10,000 Americans live in Perth and surrounds and many become Aussie citizens,just sayin.

It takes forever to fly there, everything is expensive, you have maybe 5 cities and to drive west? It's very limited. The country reminds me of Canada with an accent. You do have warmer weather than Canada.

I live 8 hours from Yellowstone, 5 hours from Glacier, 3hours from the Cascades, 5 hours from the coast. 6 hours from the Rockies, I get 80-100 in the summer, a beautiful fall, winters are white and beautiful, spring is a nice lead in to summer. Hundreds of lakes, fishing, hunting, growing fruits and veggies, going to farms and buying fruits and veggies to can. Little traffic, great people, professional sports all year long. 3 hours to a Canada I rarely visit. A ski resort 90 minutes away. The Columbia River Gorge 2 hours away. Snake River Canyon 90 minutes away.

Australia, nice place to visit. I'd never want to live there, I like my country, I like my freedoms, I like my climate.

65,000 Aussies now live in the US, just sayin.

It takes forever to fly there, everything is expensive, you have maybe 5 cities and to drive west? It's very limited. The country reminds me of Canada with an accent. You do have warmer weather than Canada.

I live 8 hours from Yellowstone, 5 hours from Glacier, 3hours from the Cascades, 5 hours from the coast. 6 hours from the Rockies, I get 80-100 in the summer, a beautiful fall, winters are white and beautiful, spring is a nice lead in to summer. Hundreds of lakes, fishing, hunting, growing fruits and veggies, going to farms and buying fruits and veggies to can. Little traffic, great people, professional sports all year long. 3 hours to a Canada I rarely visit. A ski resort 90 minutes away. The Columbia River Gorge 2 hours away. Snake River Canyon 90 minutes away.

Australia, nice place to visit. I'd never want to live there, I like my country, I like my freedoms, I like my climate.

Don’t forget that where you are is likely sorely lacking in the amount of wildlife that wants to eat you :D Hell, it seems that half the insects and fish there are deadly.

Australia has a plethora of things that can kill you. I know all we have are some bears and mountain lions but they stay to themselves.

Personally I think it unproductive to argue over who has the 'best country' or 'best town' or 'best job' or 'best car' or whatever.

Some of us love self employment and working from home. But others miss the social interaction and other benefits of the work place.

Some of us love the conveniences and amenities of the city; others much prefer the laid back small town or country life.

Some of us love the functionality and versatility of a big SUV or truck; others prefer the comfort and manuverability of a small car.

Some of us love being Americans living in America. And others love being Australians living in Australia.

Different strokes for different folks.

If we were all the same and wanted the same thing, it would be very crowded where we are. Live and let live. Serious oneupmanship rarely results in anything other than contempt and hard feelings.

And that's the way it should be with guns too. Those who don't want to be around them should have the sort of society that is gun free. Those who want ability to defend themselves and protect their loved ones should have a society with the liberty to do that too.

We should all demand the right to live as we wish to live so long as it does not require participation or contribution from others. The problem comes when we start demanding that everybody else live as we choose to live.

I think you mean Fosters IS Australian for beer. Well the funny thing is this Brew is made by Carlton and United Breweries in Sydney,.......they tried to sell it here but it was a complete failure some 20 odd years ago.You cannot buy it here,why it has become associated with Australia we don't really know.

But at the same time it was brewed in the UK and they love it big time,I think the brand was used in a couple of films and promo ads at the time,maybe Croc Dundee????but in Australia folk just didn't like and still don't Larger type Beers.....steve:cool:

Yes, I meant "is" instead of "in". Just as a warning though. If you point out every typo I commit, you might as well strap on a colostomy bag and buy yourself a crate of beef jerky because you are going to be very,very,very busy.
I for one would love to visit Australia. I always hear how nice the people are (assuming you don't commit a typo) and I would love to see the wildlife (I love camping). Maybe someday I can visit. I will expect you to keep a room for me available and I like my breakfast around noon. Thanks!

Asa as much as I love you man,Australia is a world leader in many things,your dismissal of our gun-law policy is way out of line.

We decided many years ago that the general public were not permitted guns(apart from farmers and shooting clubs etc,.who are strictly controlled),Only the Military and the Police are allowed to carry guns,people professionally trained to use a firearm.

Well common sense and a fluid mentality should and does here in Paradise make the reality of NO GUNS a safer place to live..........your comparison of the difference in population ratio's is a complete furfy(nonsence)........Your comparision of Australians not having to have a war of independence is futile and irrelevant.....by the way America since independence have been continually at war with someone.......I like many others think a lot of Americans have deep seated introverted siege mentality......hiding behind some amendment your forebears put into law....these very outstanding men were right at the time but if they were alive today with all the mass shootings and murders ad-nausium sic would most definitely repeal such a law.These were educated men.

After the Port Arthur massacre and the Gun Buy Back.......we had the US National R.A here spewing their discredited Bullshit.....The Australian Government rightly thew them out of the country.....this discredited organization have such political power (they pay off Congressmen in the most blatant fashion to persue their agenda)Ghastly that it is.

Americans who have been Welcomed to these shores,find it amazing that we have such a Gun policy but love the safety and way of life here.

We have a special bond with the US and when your Navy are here for R+R,families open their doors to them litrally,you can ask any Military person from the US and they will confirm this.

America could and should learn from us,our outstanding Health Care,Aged Care,Unemployment and Safety Net system.....Our policy of plain cigarette packaging,which has reduced folk smoking which the US tabacco industry try to kill.

SAY NO TO GUNS........there is NO SAFETY IN YOUR GUN LAWS,infact quite the contrary.

Asa,don't take this personally,but how on earth do Americans think that by carrying a Gun or High Powered Weapon can be safer!!!!!!!!!!!!.steve

Steve...

It appears your government is not totally forthcoming with crime stats. Why would that be? Are they trying to hide the FACT that gun confiscation hasn't improved the level of safety in the land down under?

Well if you believe all this discredited Rubbish Asa,then you'll believe anything...the National Riflemens Ass tried it and were given a swift boot out of the country.All these organizations want to do is expand the sales of arms.

No can do here.Asa why are you using such discredited and bullshit data to get your point across??steve

The NRA wants to expand the sale of arms? Where is your evidence?

Fosters | How to Speak Australian | Wireless - YouTube

Yes, I meant "is" instead of "in". Just as a warning though. If you point out every typo I commit, you might as well strap on a colostomy bag and buy yourself a crate of beef jerky because you are going to be very,very,very busy.
I for one would love to visit Australia. I always hear how nice the people are (assuming you don't commit a typo) and I would love to see the wildlife (I love camping). Maybe someday I can visit. I will expect you to keep a room for me available and I like my breakfast around noon. Thanks!

I dunno how the Aussies feel about civilian Americans, but I can tell you for a fact that they sure love American Sailors. Every U.S. Navy person hopes to be able to land a cruise to the Land Down Under before they get out.

I missed mine by 6 months, because I transferred from VFA-131 just as they were fixing to go on a world cruise with the USS GEORGE WASHINGTON.

One of the things they have is "dial a Sailor", where you go to the quarterdeck, pick up a phone book that has names and numbers of people who are willing to host you, call 'em up, and they come out and pick you up, take you out, take you home (and most generally, because most of the numbers are single women), and bang your brains out.

Best part? From what I've heard, lots of sailors who have been there have said that it's pretty hard to buy any drinks, because everyone else is buying them for you.

Steve...

First you'll have to discredit the information. Show me some credible links that debunk the claims.

I dunno how the Aussies feel about civilian Americans, but I can tell you for a fact that they sure love American Sailors. Every U.S. Navy person hopes to be able to land a cruise to the Land Down Under before they get out.

I missed mine by 6 months, because I transferred from VFA-131 just as they were fixing to go on a world cruise with the USS GEORGE WASHINGTON.

One of the things they have is "dial a Sailor", where you go to the quarterdeck, pick up a phone book that has names and numbers of people who are willing to host you, call 'em up, and they come out and pick you up, take you out, take you home (and most generally, because most of the numbers are single women), and bang your brains out.

Best part? From what I've heard, lots of sailors who have been there have said that it's pretty hard to buy any drinks, because everyone else is buying them for you.

So true,a shame you couldn't make it Sailor......we really do walk the extra mile for our American cousins.steve

Yep we are great travellers,never said we don't love it in America...but having travelled to over 35 countries world wide not only is it the beauty of the places but more important the people who live there.......I've been to the US numerous time and the folk have always been wonderful....have I just been lucky...No Way:cool:

Papa,you are a lucky Guy to live in such a place........like me..steve

Forum List

Back