I thought gubmint coming between you and your Doctor was a bad thing

What in the hell is it a doctor's business whether or not a patient owns a gun?

Good move Florida.

That doesn't matter

It would matter if the question was should doctors ask about guns, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the state coming between the doctor and the patient

Requiring a doctor to ask a patient about gun ownership comes inbetween the doctor patient relationship even further, because the patient is not there to validate gun ownership. Good move Florida.

You're the second person to try and spin this that there used to be a law requiring doctors ask their patients about guns and all this law does is repeal that. That is NOT what happened. There was no law repealed

Actually the word "spin" is too weak here. More accurate would be "lie"

That doesn't matter

It would matter if the question was should doctors ask about guns, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the state coming between the doctor and the patient

How is preventing an irrelevant question, which really shouldnt be legislated on, come between the dr and patient?

because it sets a legal precedent that the government can restrict the conversation a doctor has with his patient. it should not matter the topic, it should not be regulated.

Being that this is not covered in the United States Constitution Florida has every right to pass legislation preventing a doctor from asking such questions. If you are a Floridian and dont like it, move to another state. Other then that, get over it and move on in your life to more important things and stop with all the "What Obama calls" distractions.

How is preventing an irrelevant question, which really shouldnt be legislated on, come between the dr and patient?

because it sets a legal precedent that the government can restrict the conversation a doctor has with his patient. it should not matter the topic, it should not be regulated.

Being that this is not covered in the United States Constitution Florida has every right to pass legislation preventing a doctor from asking such questions. If you are a Floridian and dont like it, move to another state. Other then that, get over it and move on in your life to more important things and stop with all the "What Obama calls" distractions.

apparently you dont understand how the law works. once you set a legal precedent anyone can use that precedent to make an argument for restricting what a doctor can ask his patient. what comes next? not being able ask if you were abused if your a minor and parent isnt in the room? :cuckoo:

Didn't we already have a thread that was pages and pages long and covered every conceivable argument there was?

fwiw, FL is right as doctors have no special training in firearms.

All it was was a progressive policy to locate firearm owners in a fairly conservative state. Nothing less.
They are going to find out who owns guns and who dont very soon if they keep doing what they are doing.

So it was some big conspiracy by all them "liberal" doctors?

Un-bold your lame-ass posts and shut the fuck up.

There's a search function on this site. learn how to use it.
The law is passed and signed. Has been for some time now.

You have no say in the matter.
Don't like it? Stay the hell out of my state.

I'm just in no mood for idiots today.

Exactly. Something like this could get out of control real fast. Funny to see conservatives rush to defend it just because it involves guns.

This law was a complete waste of time. If your doctor tries to ask you if you have guns you can just tell them to shut up and go check your pee or something.

Any power not given to the federal government is reserved for the states.

No private citizen, regardless of the letters that follow their name, has the right to ask me any questions that involve my rights.
Just as my lawyer can't ask me what church I go to, or my banker asking me if I post a blog.

Like I said....don't like it, don't come here

Exactly. Something like this could get out of control real fast. Funny to see conservatives rush to defend it just because it involves guns.

This law was a complete waste of time. If your doctor tries to ask you if you have guns you can just tell them to shut up and go check your pee or something.

interesting, the doctors filed suit in federal court on the 6th.

Doctor gun law Florida: Doctors sue Florida Governor Rick Scott over bill banning them from asking about guns - Orlando Sentinel

Try entering as an American or returning to, if you are a Canadian citizen, Canada at the border.
"How many guns do you have in your household?" they ask everytime.
FUCK YOU is my response, everytime.

No private citizen, regardless of the letters that follow their name, has the right to ask me any questions that involve my rights.
Just as my lawyer can't ask me what church I go to, or my banker asking me if I post a blog.

actually your lawyer can ask the you that very question, but you have the right to choose not to answer. your banker can legally ask you the same question as well, but you have the right to choose not to answer.

do you want florida passing laws that tell you what you can and cant talk about with your friends next?

apparently you dont understand how the law works. once you set a legal precedent anyone can use that precedent to make an argument for restricting what a doctor can ask his patient. what comes next? not being able ask if you were abused if your a minor and parent isnt in the room? :cuckoo:

Typical liberal fear mongering, let's use the kids to enforce a ridiculous point. And I do understand how the law works, if it is not covered in the constitution it falls on the states to make the law, as long as the law does not supercede constitutional law, which this is not covered in the constitution, precedent be damned.

Try entering as an American or returning to, if you are a Canadian citizen, Canada at the border.

which is the correct answer actually, they can ask all they want, it doesnt mean youre required to tell them.

We are defending it because doctors do not have the right to question a patient on anything outside of why the patient is there to begin with.

Typical liberal fear mongering, let's use the kids to enforce a ridiculous point. And I do understand how the law works, if it is not covered in the constitution it falls on the states to make the law, precedent be damned.

actually you do not understand how the law works. if this stands as law, then the florida government can then legislate exactly what you can and cant talk about with your doctor. they could make it illegal to talk about abortion, they could make it illegal for a doctor to ask questions to a child who looks physically abused by their parents without that parent present. this opens up a can of worms.

you are incorrectly arguing the point about this being a federal government issue. the fed is not involved at all in this case, it is only a florida law, but has huge ramifications about how far the government as a whole can intervene in a doctors conversation with his/her patient.

That's border patrol , where national security is involved, not a doctors office.

actually your lawyer can ask the you that very question, but you have the right to choose not to answer. your banker can legally ask you the same question as well, but you have the right to choose not to answer.

do you want florida passing laws that tell you what you can and cant talk about with your friends next?

The first amendment protects us on that one. There is no amendment allowing doctors to question your rights as a U.S. citizen. If all you leftists love this shit so much why dont you move to france or something?

We are defending it because doctors do not have the right to question a patient on anything outside of why the patient is there to begin with.

doctors have the right to ask the question, but you also have the right to choose to not answer. there was never anything in any current law that stated you had to answer.

here is what the lawsuit the doctors filed was based on.

"physicians groups — most notably, pediatricians — have continued to fight it, saying that they ask about guns to ensure that parents keep them safely locked up and away from children.

"By severely restricting such speech and the ability of physicians to practice such preventative medicine, the Florida statute could result in grievous harm to children, adolescents, adults, and the elderly," according to the lawsuit, filed Monday in federal court in Miami.

"Given that Florida has some of the highest violent-crimes rates in the nation, some of the weakest gun laws, and a gun-death rate higher than the national average, Gov. Rick Scott and the legislators cowed by the gun lobby should know better than to support any measure that makes Floridians more vulnerable to guns," said Brady Center president Paul Helmke.

Doctor gun law Florida: Doctors sue Florida Governor Rick Scott over bill banning them from asking about guns - Orlando Sentinel

The first amendment protects us on that one. There is no amendment allowing doctors to question your rights as a U.S. citizen. If all you leftists love this shit so much why dont you move to france or something?

how are they questioning your rights?

i dont see how the question of "do you own a gun?" questions your rights

which is the correct answer actually, they can ask all they want, it doesnt mean youre required to tell them.

And when they yank you out of your car to shake it down don't bitch or whine for not answering, because they have the right to inspect your vehicle and your person as they see fit to ensure national security, on both sides of the border.

Forum List

Back