I thought gubmint coming between you and your Doctor was a bad thing

Haven't read through the thread yet, so don't know if anyone has pointed out this obvious point yet...

But "do you own guns" is a legitimate question for a psychiatrist to ask a patient being treated for depression.
The largest group lobbying against this piece of legislation were Pediatricians.
Why do you think that is?

I say the govt has NO ROLE in what question my doctor decides are worth asking or not worth asking. If the doctor asks "Do you own a gun" i will either say yes, or if im not comfortable telling that doctor the truth I say no. I dont see where the govt needs to be involved in any of that.

Haven't read through the thread yet, so don't know if anyone has pointed out this obvious point yet...

But "do you own guns" is a legitimate question for a psychiatrist to ask a patient being treated for depression.
The largest group lobbying against this piece of legislation were Pediatricians.

I say the govt has NO ROLE in what question my doctor decides are worth asking or not worth asking. If the doctor asks "Do you own a gun" i will either say yes, or if im not comfortable telling that doctor the truth I say no. I dont see where the govt needs to be involved in any of that.
I get the 'bigger government' argument. It's just further over-sight.
But I think a line had to be drawn in the sand, otherwise what other irrelevant and politically-driven questions would be asked?
If my kid shows up with a hole through his foot, I could understand asking about guns.
For a sore throat? No.
Imagine if a republican doctor was to ask if the kids' parent was gay.....
That line in the sand helps protect both sides
:cool:

But I think a line had to be drawn in the sand, otherwise what other irrelevant and politically-driven questions would be asked?
If my kid shows up with a hole through his foot, I could understand asking about guns.
For a sore throat? No.

and what if he did? is that any of your business or the governments business to say he cant ask that questions. if a doctor asks you an inappropriate question you can leave or not answer, you can even choose to change doctors. what if he asked you if you were gay? or had homosexual thoughts? should there be a law against that? can he not ask you if you have every done drugs, because you fear that he could report you to the government as a drug user?

Aren't there laws in place that tell me, as an employer, that I can't ask certain questions during the interview as a condition of employment?
Same thing.
The doctor cannot make it a condition of treatment

For a sore throat? No.

I know what your trying to get at but it still doesn't change things for me.

If a doctor is going to ask stuff like "are you or your kid gay" and your not comfortable you dont go back to that doctor, you find one you are comfortable with. Hopefully Obamacare is stopped before this is no longer the case.

Its still not the governments role to tell a doctor what they can and cant ask a patient, that is only the role of the patient and the doctor in private. The govt also should not have access to my health records (unless im giving them written consent)

Individual freedom and to some extent the free market(through the ability to switch doctors) protects both sides too ;)

Last edited:
For a sore throat? No.

Consider also the criteria used by doctors to ask the question in the first place may be problematic – does a parent ‘fit a profile’? Is the question asked of all patients or only of some? What indeed are the criteria for asking the question?

I assume the doctors in their lawsuit address these and other questions/issues – doctors are neither law enforcement nor lawyers, what makes them think they have the knowledge or expertise to ask questions that may result in criminal charges.
Its still not the governments role to tell a doctor what they can and cant ask a patient, that is only the role of the patient and the doctor in private.

That’s the problem, no one has established such conversations remain private.

For a sore throat? No.

Consider also the criteria used by doctors to ask the question in the first place may be problematic – does a parent ‘fit a profile’? Is the question asked of all patients or only of some? What indeed are the criteria for asking the question?

I assume the doctors in their lawsuit address these and other questions/issues – doctors are neither law enforcement nor lawyers, what makes them think they have the knowledge or expertise to ask questions that may result in criminal charges.
Its still not the governments role to tell a doctor what they can and cant ask a patient, that is only the role of the patient and the doctor in private.

They used to be private but the ObamaCare bill gave the govt access to all our medical records.

For a sore throat? No.

They used to be private but the ObamaCare bill gave the govt access to all our medical records.

really? proof please, that the gvt has access to, or will have access to what the doctor and patient discusses! :D

and good morning PP.

What in the hell is it a doctor's business whether or not a patient owns a gun?

Good move Florida.

That doesn't matter

It would matter if the question was should doctors ask about guns, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the state coming between the doctor and the patient

The State has every right to tell doctors they can not ask their patients a question that frankly has absolutely NOTHING to do with Treating them.

As far as your second claim, unless you can find a link that shows what you are claiming is even real, Not sure why we should even address it.
:lol:

That doesn't matter

It would matter if the question was should doctors ask about guns, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the state coming between the doctor and the patient

How is preventing an irrelevant question, which really shouldnt be legislated on, come between the dr and patient?

because it sets a legal precedent that the government can restrict the conversation a doctor has with his patient. it should not matter the topic, it should not be regulated.

Then I guess the doctor has no limits... asking about your PIN#, your extreme sexual details, whether you own a blender, whether you have sharp or serrated steak knives... :rolleyes:

This was a question that had ZERO to do with medical treatment

For a sore throat? No.

Yeah I gotta call bullshit on this until you back it up. Medical records are privileged in the legal system and that's not going away anytime soon. Especially not to the government.

How is preventing an irrelevant question, which really shouldnt be legislated on, come between the dr and patient?

because it sets a legal precedent that the government can restrict the conversation a doctor has with his patient. it should not matter the topic, it should not be regulated.

Then I guess the doctor has no limits... asking about your PIN#, your extreme sexual details, whether you own a blender, whether you have sharp or serrated steak knives... :rolleyes:

This was a question that had ZERO to do with medical treatment

and the correct response if he asked you those things would be to get up and walk out.

i guess we should pass a law that says exactly what a doctor can and can not ask you. we can include what kinda car you drive, your favorite vacation spot and who you want to be the next president. :cuckoo:

Yeah I gotta call bullshit on this until you back it up. Medical records are privileged in the legal system and that's not going away anytime soon. Especially not to the government.

It's also bullshit these same blatherers never said anything when the Bush administration was trying to access medical records and the Doctors stood up to them.

For a sore throat? No.

I know what your trying to get at but it still doesn't change things for me.

If a doctor is going to ask stuff like "are you or your kid gay" and your not comfortable you dont go back to that doctor, you find one you are comfortable with. Hopefully Obamacare is stopped before this is no longer the case.

Its still not the governments role to tell a doctor what they can and cant ask a patient, that is only the role of the patient and the doctor in private. The govt also should not have access to my health records (unless im giving them written consent)

Individual freedom and to some extent the free market(through the ability to switch doctors) protects both sides too ;)

i think you missed that part where this is actually not about the new health care law, its about a law that the state of Florida recently passed limiting what a doctor can ask a patient.

also, patient records are confidential. there is just a push to store them electronically to cut costs and increase the ability for them to be portable. (say for if you get in an accident and you end up at a hospital out of state, that hospital would have access to you medical records so that they dont give you a medication that you may be allergic to)

Last edited:
Not all politicains are honest about these issues.

Some hide information from the people when the people paid for the information.

Head-desk-1.jpg

New law in Florida passed by a Republican legislature and signed by a Republican Governor prohibits Doctors from asking their patients if they have guns

Some other Republican state, I forget which one, has a script about abortion that the law dictates Doctors read to their patients

The legislation originated after a couple complained that their doctor had told them to find another physician after they refused to disclose whether they owned guns and how they were stored.

Keep in mind, a doctor records this information in your medical records. You might have noticed that the the federal government is leaning more and more to centralized records, especially where medical records are concerned and we all know the history behind gun control and fascism.

I would prefer no legislation at all, but I can understand where freedom-loving people would want to pass such legislation.

That, and guess who's going to be in the business of health care in a few years.....

:eusa_whistle:

Yep. As I said, I'd prefer no legislation at all, but freedom-loving Americans are getting tired of this BS.

I thought gubmint coming between you and your Doctor was a bad thing

New law in Florida passed by a Republican legislature and signed by a Republican Governor prohibits Doctors from asking their patients if they have guns

Some other Republican state, I forget which one, has a script about abortion that the law dictates Doctors read to their patients
Just a minute here, pal.

The term "gubmint®" is an officially copyrighted and licensed term, which is the property of yours truly, to be used by permission of.....yours truly.

Who the fuck are you, Scooter?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back