I think my bastard skunk may still be hanging around...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AllieBaba, Oct 7, 2009.

1. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I notice the smell is getting worse in the bathroom.

I'm going to have to tell my landlord and see if the doddering old lady can bring the trapper in.

Won't that be fun.

2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,897
    easier just to borrow a live trap from someone and trap the thing yourself....or simply find out how its getting in during the day and seal it off...

3. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I'm not getting anywhere near that fucker. Getting sprayed once was enough for me, thanks.

It nailed my door jamb and my entire enclosed porch. It's just fucking great.

Now my dog is outside barking at something. Ordinarily I'd assume it's a deer, but now I'm afraid to look.

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Nope, it was a deer.

5. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Unfortunately I put off letting the dog out too long due to skunk paranoia and she pissed on the floor, dammit.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,897
    o stop being such a wussy...first of all it leaves at night.....go down there at night and figure out how its getting in...wear old clothes...its just looking for a warm place to be in the winter

It is important to check your property regularly to ensure that all air vents and openings to crawl spaces and other potentially accessible areas are secured. Skunks are rodent predators who often follow mice and rats into these areas. Close openings around decks, stairs, sheds and hot tubs. Keep woodpiles elevated off the ground and pick up any debris that could potentially house a skunk den.

Place a radio near a known skunk den and keep it on loud during the day. Wait until the animal has begun their nightly foray and locate all entrances and exits. Block all except one and use repellents or frightening strategies to scare the skunks out. To be certain the animals have left, sprinkle flour at the exit and watch for footprints that lead away from the opening. When you are sure the animal is gone, securely close the opening.

WHS - Nuisance Wildlife Info

7. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,897
    i am laffing too hard to even mock you at this point...

now pay attention....if you just trap the shunk ...something else will move in...you need to secure the area that the shunk is in...follow the directions above...no skunk....

8. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206

Ms. Strolling uses this strategy to keep her husband out of the house as well.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    No, it hangs out here at night. Hence my aversion to letting the dog out.

And noise doesn't bother it. Our house is incredibly loud at night. It wasn't even that worried by the dog on the porch.

And I am NOT looking for skunk dens.

If it's getting under the house, I know where it gets under. I'm not 100 percent convinced it is, though. I just walked around the house and didn't smell it out there, and they don't have to spray to be stinky. Also, the dog was out all day the last two days and didn't root it out, so I'd say it's probably not hanging here during the day.

10. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,081
    I have a couple of skunks myself, one is a youngster...the other is big ass!

my husband went out to look for our missing cat who is white and black...no moon was out and like a dummy he did not bring the flash light, he sees her by the feeder, starts walking over to her to pick her up or shew her in to the house, and she disappreared on his walk down the drive to the grass area where the bird feeders are, so he goes back up the drive towards the front of the house to see if she ran to the front door.

halfway down the driveway on the side of the house, he thinks he sees her going under one of our cars...he begins his approach towards her and SWISH SOUND and liquid hitting the side of the house, by the window i am sitting at. i grab the flash light, run to the front door and there is this skunk, under the car and matt heading for the back door to come back in....

I run to the back door to intercede and STOP him from entering the house with clothes on...

IF he had gotten hit by the skunk, he was stripping naked out side...so help me God he was, and i didn't care that it was 48 degrees out!!!!!!!!

but it turns out the skunk just got the side of the house and not him...the next day i washed it down, seemed to get worse??? about a week later the smell went away!