I miss DOS

i 'use' ubuntu on older machines i still have a use for.

but right now i'm really into playing with raspberry pi's. jut got my hands on some zeroes. jammed one inside an old nes cartridge, now i have access to every nes, genesis, and snes game made.

i built a kodi machine out of a pi 3 - those are fun little beasts.

but i do suck at the terminal stuff. feels like i'm back in the dos days working with it - which does oddly have its own appeal
I've got Kodi on an android box and watch most of my TV on it. It's not as fast as the Roku 3 but they have some hot programmers or something.
for my own use i run it on a fire tv with sickbeard and sabnzbd running on a desktop to supply content.

i did just build a setup for a friend that had sickbeard and sabnzbd running on the pi 3 connected to a 4tb external drive.

i need to work in multi-thread par 2 and unpacking support. that should really improve things. but as is it's a nice little workhorse that runs on a fraction of the power my set up uses.

i 'use' ubuntu on older machines i still have a use for.

but right now i'm really into playing with raspberry pi's. jut got my hands on some zeroes. jammed one inside an old nes cartridge, now i have access to every nes, genesis, and snes game made.

i built a kodi machine out of a pi 3 - those are fun little beasts.

but i do suck at the terminal stuff. feels like i'm back in the dos days working with it - which does oddly have its own appeal
I've got Kodi on an android box and watch most of my TV on it. It's not as fast as the Roku 3 but they have some hot programmers or something.
for my own use i run it on a fire tv with sickbeard and sabnzbd running on a desktop to supply content.

i did just build a setup for a friend that had sickbeard and sabnzbd running on the pi 3 connected to a 4tb external drive.

i need to work in multi-thread par 2 and unpacking support. that should really improve things. but as is it's a nice little workhorse that runs on a fraction of the power my set up uses.
Someday kids will be amazed that people used giant noisy boxes called cpus for their computers.

Sure thing there Sparky...... :thup:

Poster: I have a problem with_______, you: Linux.......... Poster: I have a problem with______, you: Linux.
Fuck you, you fat asshole. You couldn't back up your shit. No doubt the same in real life!
Touched a nerve....... :lmao:
You're a lying shitstain. The nerve was all yours, fat boy.
Yet I'm not the one calling you names........ :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
You're just a lying asshole that can't back up his shit. That a preference for you for some reason.
Sure thing Sparkette....... :lmao:

Fuck you, you fat asshole. You couldn't back up your shit. No doubt the same in real life!
You're just a lying asshole that can't back up his shit. That a preference for you for some reason.
Change your tampon.

Change your tampon.
Like I said, I'm not the one going ballistic over it........ :lmao:

I tried Linux but no one else seemed to know what that was and it was to hard for me to use. DOS, at least, forced you to know something about the computer. I can't say the same about modern GUIs. People really think that there are icons in your computer. It is a .exe file that gets executed when you click the icon. The icon doesn't exist. I just hate the dumbed down approach modern GUIs seem to have.

Yeah I'm not buying it. You dont have to run it on an old system to keep the it off the internet. All you have to do is set up a private network with no access to the internet. In order to get to the internet the traffic needs to be routed and assigned an IP address from IANA. You set up two or more servers and back up using your private network and then take a copy and place it in an offsite storage facility.
It is more than that. As a system ages the security on it gets better. Holes are plugged and people that even understand the system well enough to hack it start to age and disappear. As systems get newer and more powerful they get a whole lot more vulnerabilities.

It is one of those 'if it aint broke then don't fix it' instances. There is literally zero gain from upgrading the machine as it already performs a very narrow task well. I just wish they would learn that lesson with some of our other systems.

I know what you are saying about windows - I am really fucking tired of my computer trying to tell me what to do rather than letting me tell it what to do.

Windows 8 is really bad with that. All in all though, we have a lot more power now and it is a lot simpler to do many tasks that would be a pain in the ass in DOS. If I need to consolidate 50 files on a windows machine I can do that in minuets. It would take all day in DOS.

Change your tampon.
I'm not, you are because you keep going with it. You are posting just a few minutes after I do, each and every time. The proof is right up there. You are hurt, I don't care and blaming me won't cover it up.

I tried Linux but no one else seemed to know what that was and it was to hard for me to use. DOS, at least, forced you to know something about the computer. I can't say the same about modern GUIs. People really think that there are icons in your computer. It is a .exe file that gets executed when you click the icon. The icon doesn't exist. I just hate the dumbed down approach modern GUIs seem to have.
Linux and OSX doesn't use exe files but they are similar. I am not a geek and one can do a lot with the command line. For me a gui is a blessing, I have a whole bunch of other stuff to do with my life that learn the lingo to do what clicking on an icon will do. I have no shame about it. We live in a graphic world, it's much more natural to interact in a graphic way. Some guys like to pop the hood and tinker with the engine though.

Change your tampon.
I'm not, you are because you keep going with it. You are posting just a few minutes after I do, each and every time. The proof is right up there. You are hurt, I don't care and blaming me won't cover it up.
Delusional too boot!! :lmao :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Change your tampon.
Delusional too boot!! :lmao :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
What the fuck is wrong with you?

Change your tampon.
Delusional too boot!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
What the fuck is wrong with you?
I'm having fun, you're funny, just not the way you think you are. Everything I've posted is true, you just refuse to believe it because it doesn't fit your experiences. Yeah, like you're the only person in the world and it's only your experiences that count. A hack in every aspect of your life. :thup:

This whole thing reminds me of the newer Battlestar Gallactica where the one old carrier that didn't have upgraded computers was the one that survived because the enemy couldn't hack it's computers.

Great remake of that series. The original was cheesy as hell.

C:\usmb.exe /quote 499141 /reply "DOS was quite easy to learn and had a whole bunch of graphical user interfaces available to the user, beginning with Windows 1 - 3 and ending with 3rd party stuff like Lotus." \forum\computers\i miss dos

Last edited:

Forum List

Back