I just quit my day job today

So are you gonna have time to be on the boards more often?

I may. Being busy with the business and the day job is a big reason I haven't been around much, but I also started seeing a new girl and because I've never known how to take things slow, we live together now. I don't see her much because of work, so when I am home and she's home... you know :D

I wish you every success, working for yourself can be kind of scary, but it's awesome.

However, you really should treat your boss the way you would want to be treated. So, you really should have given him some notice. You dropped him in the shit.... business may be business but what goes around, comes around.

You know, that two week notice thing is interesting. They dont give you a two week notice if they fire you. If you quit, even if you give a two week notice, sometimes you wont get a reference from them anyway.

Goes around, comes around.....does this hold true with firing suddenly as well?

Best of luck - I hope you and your partner make your new business a roaring success.

My only criticism is not giving your old boss two weeks notice. What goes around comes around, and I doubt you'd want to be treated that way by your employees in the future.

I wish you every success, working for yourself can be kind of scary, but it's awesome.

However, you really should treat your boss the way you would want to be treated. So, you really should have given him some notice. You dropped him in the shit.... business may be business but what goes around, comes around.

You know, that two week notice thing is interesting. They dont give you a two week notice if they fire you. If you quit, even if you give a two week notice, sometimes you wont get a reference from them anyway.

A good friend of mine was the lead tech for a big fiber optic communications company. They have defense dept. contracts and he's the only one qualified to train the military as well as the only one with the clearances in his department to gain access to the bases where the work was done.

Last month they called him into the office and terminated his position immediately. His boss sat there in his chair with his legs up on the desk and his arms up with his hands behind his head and shrugged it off to him as though it was nothing. He said dude said to him "I know this must be tough to take". He said he wanted to strangle the living shit out of him for being so non chalant about taking a man's job away from him.

I worked in the past for a guy who wouldn't tell you there was no more work in the schedule until you finished the last project he had and he gave you your pay.

I may. Being busy with the business and the day job is a big reason I haven't been around much, but I also started seeing a new girl and because I've never known how to take things slow, we live together now. I don't see her much because of work, so when I am home and she's home... you know :D

Sounds like things are going well for you. :thup:

A good friend of mine was the lead tech for a big fiber optic communications company. They have defense dept. contracts and he's the only one qualified to train the military as well as the only one with the clearances in his department to gain access to the bases where the work was done.

Last month they called him into the office and terminated his position immediately. His boss sat there in his chair with his legs up on the desk and his arms up with his hands behind his head and shrugged it off to him as though it was nothing. He said dude said to him "I know this must be tough to take". He said he wanted to strangle the living shit out of him for being so non chalant about taking a man's job away from him.

I worked in the past for a guy who wouldn't tell you there was no more work in the schedule until you finished the last project he had and he gave you your pay.

I know how your friend feels, when I lost my job in Virginia our boss knew 3 months ahead of time the office was closing, when he told me the office I was shutting down I felt like I was dreaming. That shit sucks.

Yeah I'm pretty proud of myself. I started putting this all together back in the winter while things were seriously fucked up in my personal life. I had just lost my girlfriend (my son's mother) to another guy, she drug me through the court system and railroaded the shit out of me, even got the court to take visitation with my son away from me briefly. I just kept chugging along and working my ass off when I could have just as easily said fuck life and gone back to drugs and shit.

Whatever hasn't killed me in my life literally has made me stronger.

At my job, a woman I worked with quit. No notice, no nothing, she just came in that morning and quit. My supervisor was so damn angry at her for not giving him any notice. That same supervisor fired a woman a couple years ago. No notice, no nothing but that was fine with him. Its a power thing.

Screw all this, if your going to quit, just do it. It makes up for those same people firing others in the past/future imho.

Good for you dude. Good luck.

Last edited:

That's nice. You think treating people shitty is justified because totally unrelated people have done the same.

Good luck in your new business

Your old boss may be pissed but you gotta do what you gotta do. Especially in this economy. Business will dump employees to save a few bucks, so loyalty only goes so far

That's nice. You think treating people shitty is justified because totally unrelated people have done the same.

Apparently you haven't read enough of my posts in here. I've made it MORE than clear that I don't enjoy the fact that I gave no notice. I had no other choice. Well, I did actually. I could have turned down a huge opportunity that could be the lynchpin to major success for my business, just to give the guy 2 measly weeks to find someone that he'll have already found by this coming Monday morning.

You're a business owner yourself and you're responding out of emotion instead of looking at both sides of the coin.

Yeah I'm pretty proud of myself. I started putting this all together back in the winter while things were seriously fucked up in my personal life. I had just lost my girlfriend (my son's mother) to another guy, she drug me through the court system and railroaded the shit out of me, even got the court to take visitation with my son away from me briefly. I just kept chugging along and working my ass off when I could have just as easily said fuck life and gone back to drugs and shit.

Whatever hasn't killed me in my life literally has made me stronger.

Wow that sucks about your ex, but I am glad to hear you got through it and got your business going, things are looking better for you on the other end I bet. Its always easier to give up but fighting through it is hard, but worth it.

To pursue a business I started back in December, full time. This is the 2nd business I've started in a little over a year. The first one really isn't mine anymore since it was started with my now ex, and I'm only entitled to a profit percentage. That one is a preschool, and is just now starting to become slightly profitable.

I've been working 7 days a week, sometimes 16 hour days (barely seeing much of my son) to juggle my day job and my business and the business is getting to the point where I can't take on anymore work and still have a day job. I had to choose between keeping my day job which is guaranteed income year round and just do side work to supplement, or take the chance and quit and pursue the business full time and deal with the slow money periods. The caveat is that my boss did no take me quitting very well. In fact, he was pissed off at me because I pretty much fucked him. I'll never be able to work for him again. I couldn't give him 2 weeks notice because a huge project just fell in my lap the other day that if I would have given the boss 2 weeks, I wouldn't have been able to accomplish the project and would have definitely left a bad taste in a big client's mouth. The way I see it is, business is business. He'll be ok.

I'm kind of scared but pretty excited about it. I've saved up enough to make it work. It's going to be nice to have my life back again.

Pray for me :lol:

You played the hand you were dealt, the best you could. ;)

Apparently you haven't read enough of my posts in here. I've made it MORE than clear that I don't enjoy the fact that I gave no notice. I had no other choice. Well, I did actually. I could have turned down a huge opportunity that could be the lynchpin to major success for my business, just to give the guy 2 measly weeks to find someone that he'll have already found by this coming Monday morning.

You're a business owner yourself and you're responding out of emotion instead of looking at both sides of the coin.

I'm responding based upon values of human decency, and how I would wish to be treated in a similar situation. You knew you were leaving your boss in a lurch, yet you did it anyway. You could have given him a head's up that you would be leaving when your business reached "take off" so he could have planned for replacing you. And as a business owner yourself who may have employees at some point, you'd dislike being treated the way you treated him.

Instead, you burned your bridges. Not a good life strategy, imo.

I'm responding based upon values of human decency, and how I would wish to be treated in a similar situation. You knew you were leaving your boss in a lurch, yet you did it anyway. You could have given him a head's up that you would be leaving when your business reached "take off" so he could have planned for replacing you. And as a business owner yourself who may have employees at some point, you'd dislike being treated the way you treated him.

Instead, you burned your bridges. Not a good life strategy, imo.

He already knew we were doing side work and on MULTIPLE occasions he would make smart ass little comments about it because even though there's nothing he can do about what we in our off work time, it still bothered him. He thought it would take away from his own business because maybe we'd be tired from it and not perform 100% for him, as well as other reasons. One day my partner was missing a tool for work that day, and the boss flipped out on him about how it must be that he left it on a side job somewhere, which wasn't actually the case.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that if we'd have told him we'll be leaving him as soon as he's not necessary anymore (which is basically what you're saying) he'd have said 'then leave now'.

He's not the nicest of men, he's paranoid about his crew, and doesn't trust anyone. He'd have looked at it like he was being used.

With all this said, I still would have given him 2 weeks if it was at all possible.

I left the comforts of corporate slavery and never looked back. Working for yourself is an emotional rollercoaster, but you can do it. Good luck.

Something Paulie wrote really stands out to me and that is the his former boss is really hard to work for. Althought I can't condone walking out on a job, the idea that Paulie wouldn't subject somebody he knows to working for this dude speaks volumes to me. Sounds to me like the boss was an ass who created a volatile work environment not worthy of referrals.

ETA: looks like paulie and i posted at the same time.

Last edited:
I'm responding based upon values of human decency, and how I would wish to be treated in a similar situation.

Please.

As someone who will now be a boss myself, if I have an employee that decides it's time to leave, who am I to question that? If he bounces immediately, the worst it could do is potentially leave me in a pinch on a current project. As a business owner, I'll have already prepared as best I could to be able to handle that. My partner and I both work everyday and have no plans anytime soon of being the boss that doesn't work alongside his help. I won't be stupid enough to put my future in the hands of any of my help.

I'm not self absorbed enough to think I'm the be all end all of anyone's labor history.

It's all about stepping stones and getting to the next level. I already know I'll just be someone's stepping stone, and I'm ok with that.

I'm responding based upon values of human decency, and how I would wish to be treated in a similar situation.

Please.

As someone who will now be a boss myself, if I have an employee that decides it's time to leave, who am I to question that? If he bounces immediately, the worst it could do is potentially leave me in a pinch on a current project. As a business owner, I'll have already prepared as best I could to be able to handle that. My partner and I both work everyday and have no plans anytime soon of being the boss that doesn't work alongside his help. I won't be stupid enough to put my future in the hands of any of my help.

I'm not self absorbed enough to think I'm the be all end all of anyone's labor history.

It's all about stepping stones and getting to the next level. I already know I'll just be someone's stepping stone, and I'm ok with that.

Another approach might be to not focus on the ending, but the years committed to delivering professional services for this company and how you did them right for so long.

Forum List

Back