I have some...news

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
Well, I just found out a few days ago. My father is being deployed to Balad, Iraq. 50 miles north of Baghdad. He'll leave around my birthday in January, for 12 months. I still support the War and the troops and President Bush with all my heart.

Thanks. He'll be flying CH47 Chinooks there. In the Gulf War he flew Hueys with the 101st. He lead the Hueys in the largest air assault ever! I think by January everything will mellow out even more.

Semper Fi said:
Thanks. He'll be flying CH47 Chinooks there. In the Gulf War he flew Hueys with the 101st. He lead the Hueys in the largest air assault ever! I think by January everything will mellow out even more.

For what it's worth, the Army doesn't fly Hueys... UH1 Iroquois. ;)

:D

I was under the impression Blackhawks had replaced the UH1 by the time of GW1.

Oh well - here's wishing your Pops the best!

Hey Semper he'll be on my prayer list. I'm sure it will all be fine.

Semper, I'm sure your dad will be fine. I have dozens of friends and thousands of acquaintances who have served in both Afghanistan and Iraq, and only two people I know have died, and that was over a year ago in the immediate aftermath of the liberation of Iraq. I think that if your dad is flying Chinooks, he will be just fine.

gop_jeff said:
Semper, I'm sure your dad will be fine. I have dozens of friends and thousands of acquaintances who have served in both Afghanistan and Iraq, and only two people I know have died, and that was over a year ago in the immediate aftermath of the liberation of Iraq. I think that if your dad is flying Chinooks, he will be just fine.

Hey gopjeff, I'm so sorry about the loss of your two friends. I pray for all the members of our military everyday, but in particular friends of my children that have chosen to serve. So far, we have been very fortunate.

Another person to think about when I watch my flag-----let us know if we can help you or your dad IN ANY WAY! People at home want to help even if we can't go over there.

(hopefully no one is offended by my use of the word "we" )

dilloduck said:
Another person to think about when I watch my flag-----let us know if we can help you or your dad IN ANY WAY! People at home want to help even if we can't go over there.

(hopefully no one is offended by my use of the word "we" )

Dillo, I am honored by the use of 'we'.

Well, I personnally am going to be just fine. But if you really want to help, continue what your doing and support the troops. Thank your servicemembers when you see them. Trust me, in this day and age it means more than we'll ever know.

-=d=- said:
For what it's worth, the Army doesn't fly Hueys... UH1 Iroquois. ;)

:D

I was under the impression Blackhawks had replaced the UH1 by the time of GW1.

Oh well - here's wishing your Pops the best!

Blackhawks have replaced the Iroquois in elite units, like Delta Force and many of the Ranger units, but the Army still has a LOT of Iroquois choppers, so they use them. BTW, the UH1 is called the Huey, becuase after the designation was changed to "UH," the Army guys thought it would be kinda dumb to call it the "uh," so "Huey" stuck.

No, the Army uses Blackhawks way more then Hueys now. I havent seen an Army Huey that wasnt in a muesum for several years. And I've lived on Army Air Bases my whole life.

Semper Fi said:
No, the Army uses Blackhawks way more then Hueys now. I havent seen an Army Huey that wasnt in a muesum for several years. And I've lived on Army Air Bases my whole life.

EDITED:

I just realized I never sent my regards to your father. For this, I apologize. I went back and read through the thread thinking I had already posted something in regards to this. Again, my apologies.

Please tell your father a sincere thanks. I am confident he will be safe. He has the expierence and the know-how, so I am sure all will be, as one of my 1SG's used to say, "copesetic"!

I was on a Blackhawk in 1987 that had to make an "auto-rotation" landing in Korea during a training exercise. Ya wanna talk about a bunch guys thinkin they were gonna die.... whew..... we made it out okay (thanks to the great pilots) with only a few bumps and bruises and one broken ankle.

Moi said:
Please tell your dad that we all hope he stays safe. Oh yeah, and by the way, tell him thanks.

Thanks for everyones support. Believe me, the day of his return, I'll be at the airfield bangin the drum with my USA colors flying high! I think everyone in my family has the wrong idea about American public. The news media shows them as war, America hating hippies. Thanks for proving us wrong.

Semper Fi said:
Thanks for everyones support. Believe me, the day of his return, I'll be at the airfield bangin the drum with my USA colors flying high! I think everyone in my family has the wrong idea about American public. The news media shows them as war, America hating hippies. Thanks for proving us wrong.

My Grandfather was in WWI, my father was in WWII, my brother went to Viet Nam, I went to Beirut, Lebanon. Non of us were killed in action, although we all saw it.

My best to you and your Pop Semper Fi. God bless the soilders. I'm sure he'll be fine. And I know how you can make him REAL HAPPY when he gets back... "HAVE A COLD ONE WAITING FOR HIM".... :usa:

Oh dont worry, I'll be sure to have an ice cold Miller Lite in the fridge for him. Reality hasnt quite set in yet, and they may not even deploy; who knows. But as of right now, they're going to Kuwait in January, then incountry to Balad in March. Now I'll take much more offense to those opposing Iraqi liberation. And I will fight anyone who gives me crap about it. Let me at 'em! Its personal now!

Forum List

Back