I have been invited to a wedding

roomy said:
in Florida in January, If I can make it I will be there for 3 weeks, apart from Mickey mouse and his friends, where should I visit?Are there any pubs there?Can I exercise my right to get drunk and stagger home singing at the top of my voice without fear of being arrested by some fat bastard in a police uniform?

Aside from Orlando (where Mickey lives) what part(s) of Florida will you be visiting?

roomy said:
I will have a car so Anywhere really.

There's a neat bar in Lauderdale called Shooters... Haven't been there in ages, but when I was you could get a water taxi there and hang out and drink. But that's a long ride from Orlando to go to a bar.

If you're outdoorsy, you can do the Everglades down south, too. Also, the Florida Keys are beautiful. Key West is an awesome place... sun, bars, amazing sunsets, great fishing and Hemingway's House.

roomy said:
in Florida in January, If I can make it I will be there for 3 weeks, apart from Mickey mouse and his friends, where should I visit?Are there any pubs there?Can I exercise my right to get drunk and stagger home singing at the top of my voice without fear of being arrested by some fat bastard in a police uniform?

January is a nice time to visit, not so god awful hot.

I spent around 5 years in the Tampa area. St Petersburg is a nice area with lots of small shops and a very nice beach area. Sea World is also close.

There are lots of tourist things to do in Orlando, Arabian Nights dinner theatre is something I enjoyed taking visitors to. Unless you have kids I'd avoid Disney World all together, Epcot isn't bad for adults if you just can't miss the whole Disney experience. Last time I was there tickets were outragiously expensive, but at least you have the benefit of changing over Euros so your up in the money department.

Coco beach is a nice area, very clean. They used to allow alcohol on the beach as long as it wan't in a glass bottle, but that might have changed.

Clearwater beach doesn't allow any drinks on the beach...old people mecca.

Almost forgot the very first Hooters restaurant is in Tampa. My husband used to love that place. Beer, flirty waitresses, and skimpy outfits. Your kind of place??? :beer:

I would very highly recommend the Kennedy Space Center. The 3D film about the lunar landing is phenomenal. Complete with those funny glasses.

Seeing actual rockets up close and personal is unforgettable.

roomy said:

Of course you can get drunk and stagger home without fear of being arrested by a fat bastard. Cops in Florida are generally not fat....

:beer:

roomy said:
wow. 3 weeks?!
I was only there for a week for my honeymoon trip(well, belated honeymoon because we were married in Sept, but went the following Jan), but we still did a lot.

Other than the obvious popular theme parks, I know of an English pub in Kissimmee called Harry Ramsbottom's. I kid you not, that is the pub's name. It is just off hwy 192 (Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy).
There's a restaurant down the road from there (to the West) called Boston Lobster, where they have a Volkswagen Beetle with a giant lobster mounted on it, and they drive it around. It's kinda freaky the first time you see it. They have a pretty good selection of seafood too.

if you want a REALLY cool experience, book a day at www.discoverycove.com
It's a bit spendy, but if you choose the full dolphin swim package, it is an experience you'll never forget. My husband is a bit wary of spending that much money on one place, but even HE said it was SO worth the money. When we went, it was about $220 per person for a full day with dolphin swim, but I am sure it has gone up since '03. You also get to use a wetsuit and they give you swim mask and snorkel (you get to keep the snorkel), and your admission badge gets you 7 free admissions to Sea World that don't expire ever.
The dolphin swim was really cool, and I was chatting with the trainer shortly beforehand, and I mentioned that I was pregnant at the time (i was about 7 weeks along) and she asked the dolphin, Dolly, to pick out which of us in the group of 10, was expecting and the dolphin cam and put her snout to my belly, without any cue from the trainer or anyone else. It was so cool!

We also drove to Cocoa Beach, which is about 30 miles East of Orlando. If you do make the drive, take a few rolls of coins (quarters, nickels, and dimes) with you for the toll roads-it took about $8 for us for round trip to and from Cocoa Beach. Kennedy Space Center is just North of there as well, but we didn't go there, because we ran out of time. If you do go to the Beach, then you have to visit Ron Jon's Surf Shop, which is a landmark shop there.

I'll try to think of more for you.

Forum List

Back