I have been Called to the Principal's Office

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
Since the beginning of the school year about a month ago, I have requested that:

Teachers send me ONE graded paper per week per subject

I stipulate it must be a paper, graded, as opposed to their practice of simply showing the grade in an online gradebook called "Infinite Campus."

My intent is to SEE whatever the hell they're teaching, and if it is being learned. You cannot do this just by looking at the grade

I also stated that if I didn't see graded papers, then I'd need to see THEM AND the graded papers, and we could arrange a meeting.

WELL, apparently this is proving to be An Issue for which I must see the principal!!!???

It seems some teachers are just overwhelmed with the prospect of teaching anything that may be worth assessing the value on a weekly basis!!!!!:eek:

GODDAMN? WTF??

Am I being completely unreasonable???:confused:

Since the beginning of the school year about a month ago, I have requested that:

I stipulate it must be a paper, graded, as opposed to their practice of simply showing the grade in an online gradebook called "Infinite Campus."

My intent is to SEE whatever the hell they're teaching, and if it is being learned. You cannot do this just by looking at the grade

I also stated that if I didn't see graded papers, then I'd need to see THEM AND the graded papers, and we could arrange a meeting.

WELL, apparently this is proving to be An Issue for which I must see the principal!!!???

It seems some teachers are just overwhelmed with the prospect of teaching anything that may be worth assessing the value on a weekly basis!!!!!:eek:

GODDAMN? WTF??

Why don't they just send the graded assignments home with your spawn?

Isn't that how they do it? Or do teachers these days horde all the assignments?

How odd. At our school all high school homework and tests are now pc based and a parent may check on them at anytime. An interested parent could even come into the class grab a laptop log into the network and watch while their kid took the test.

Although when I was in school we did have some teachers that didn't even grade homework and such until the end of the semester, they made you do it then lug it around in a binder all semester, if you lost that binder you were screwed. I always thought those teachers were lazy.

GODDAMN? WTF??

Well, the slave isn't the most reliable conveyance, but after a fuckin' month I expect him to have the proceeedure of receiving a paper, transporting it home, letting me know he has it, and if necessary returning it to school.

Some complain that I'm interfering with their horde, arguing that they like to wait until "The end of the Unit" to send all the graded work home. But what I'm seeing is lost of grade entries that do not require ANY objective evaluation: "Participation" grades, and very few quizzes, tests, and things that require a student to place their pencil to a piece of paper!!

GODDAMN? WTF??

Well, the slave isn't the most reliable conveyance, but after a fuckin' month I expect him to have the proceeedure of receiving a paper, transporting it home, letting me know he has it, and if necessary returning it to school.

Some complain that I'm interfering with their horde, arguing that they like to wait until "The end of the Unit" to send all the graded work home. But what I'm seeing is lost of grade entries that do not require ANY objective evaluation: "Participation" grades, and very few quizzes, tests, and things that require a student to place their pencil to a piece of paper!!

What grade is the child in? How long has school been in session? Were there problems last year?

How odd. At our school all high school homework and tests are now pc based and a parent may check on them at anytime. An interested parent could even come into the class grab a laptop log into the network and watch while their kid took the test.

Although when I was in school we did have some teachers that didn't even grade homework and such until the end of the semester, they made you do it then lug it around in a binder all semester, if you lost that binder you were screwed. I always thought those teachers were lazy.

Yes, they ARE LAZY.

A teacher is supposed to .......TEACH GODDAMNIT, that means, you DO SOMETHING to ensure that the Students are doing more than maintaining a pulse during your presence.

If I don't go through my kids' backpack every day I miss all sorts of things...and their homework is sent home. But I walk into their classroom at least once a week, ostensibly to give Wallybaba his eyeglasses or pay for lunches or something. But that contact is never amiss, I'm able to sort of keep on top of what is going on.

I love it that my kids are in a charter school. This year the focus is on the watershed! How cool is that! The whole school is going to go canoeing at some point....

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
We're in first and second grade...homework every night consists of spelling words (and a test every day), reading, and workbook homework. Parents have to sign the workbook and the homework sheet, and the teacher checks it every day.

GODDAMN? WTF??

Good luck. They bypassed the principal altogether and I got called to the District Office last year after discovering by sheer accident that my pups had been yanked from their educational environment and placed in enrichment classes twice a week so I demanded to see their IEP's - as required by law - to find out exactly what "enriching" activities they were participating in. I won. Eventually. :eusa_angel:

Yes, they ARE LAZY.

A teacher is supposed to .......TEACH GODDAMNIT, that means, you DO SOMETHING to ensure that the Students are doing more than maintaining a pulse during your presence.

Charter school...charter school...charter school...

US Charter Schools Home

What grade is the child in? How long has school been in session? Were there problems last year?

10th

about a month: I know, not much time, but GET THE LEAD OUT!

Problems EVERY year....wait until 9 weeks are up, then WFT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING??? has been SOP. Not so this year.

English 10, for example....I have not seen a graded paper for the past TWO WEEKS?

Biology? Nothing but one paper with three questions graded.:evil:

10th

Problems EVERY year....wait until 9 weeks are up, then WFT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING??? has been SOP. Not so this year.

English 10, for example....I have not seen a graded paper for the past TWO WEEKS?

10th grade? Wow! I'd go meet the principal and bring the kid too. Needs to be clarity between expectations all around.

The teachers should be handing out syllabi by that age-for at least 2-4 weeks. You and son should know what is going on.

Does the teacher use rubrics? If so, do you agree with the measurements?

10th

do yall not have edline? true it doesnt contain the actual paperwork but it does show grades, and we require our teachers at ALL levels to update daily, even if that update merely says no homework.

10th

I don't remember ever having that much homework in biology, it was mostly in class activities.
And maybe you should ask your children every night what they are learning.

If I don't go through my kids' backpack every day I miss all sorts of things...and their homework is sent home. But I walk into their classroom at least once a week, ostensibly to give Wallybaba his eyeglasses or pay for lunches or something. But that contact is never amiss, I'm able to sort of keep on top of what is going on.

I love it that my kids are in a charter school. This year the focus is on the watershed! How cool is that! The whole school is going to go canoeing at some point....

We're in first and second grade...homework every night consists of spelling words (and a test every day), reading, and workbook homework. Parents have to sign the workbook and the homework sheet, and the teacher checks it every day.

US Charter Schools Home

Charter High School is often, as in this case, not an option: however my 14 and 7 yo are in Charter school, and I agree, you can pull strings much more easily.

Also, elementary grades receive feedback every day.....eventually, like when they're 11 or 12 graders, you begin to see less and less paper (I'm not sure this is a good thing).

10th

I don't remember ever having that much homework in biology, it was mostly in class activities.
And maybe you should ask your children every night what they are learning.

I recall at LEAST having vocabulary words in Biology...fucking having to memorize names of plant parts an' shit.

Have YOU asked a freakin 16 yo what they did in school?

"Huh. uh......grrkle...urp, ten abber dak."

WTF????

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

US Charter Schools Home

Charter High School is often, as in this case, not an option: however my 14 and 7 yo are in Charter school, and I agree, you can pull strings much more easily.

Also, elementary grades receive feedback every day.....eventually, like when they're 11 or 12 graders, you begin to see less and less paper (I'm not sure this is a good thing).

Tends to be as the grades get higher there are fewer, but more in depth lessons. Essays, research papers, and labs are not usually going to be done in a day.

However, you and kid should know what is going on and assignments should have clear expectations on material to be covered and how they will be assessed.

I think I'd request that my kids do a written summary of what they did in school each day, including what homework they were assigned and what classwork they did - and provide you with the grades.

Unless of course they bring home the graded work themselves. I think it sounds like your kids are playing you a little. If they don't bring home the graded work, make them do the summary...they'll start bringing it home.

The teachers aren't going to do a special paper each day for you. Unfortunate, but true.

Aren't adolescents fun???!

But don't feel bad. When my boys were that age, we went through a nice long period where every time my oldest would do something out of line he had to write a hundred sentences for me (I dictated the sentence) which explained why that wasn't a good thing to do, and how he would never do it again.

It worked remarkably well.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
When I was in hs biology, we had homework every night. Biology has TONS of homework! And labs. Which often have homework as well...

US Charter Schools Home

Tends to be as the grades get higher there are fewer, but more in depth lessons. Essays, research papers, and labs are not usually going to be done in a day.

However, you and kid should know what is going on and assignments should have clear expectations on material to be covered and how they will be assessed.

I agree with the more in-depth lessons having a longer timeline.

But does that preclude lessons with a shorter timeline?

It seems to me quite natural to expect there would be something NEW learned every DAY, if not every WEEK, and that some evaluative tool be applied to that learning.

The fact is, teachers don't want to construct the test, grade the test, or deal with parents that question the grade. The less frequently they grade, the easier their lives are.

Forum List

Back