I got 1000 bucks that says "the super rich" is YOU

Fair enough. But we're right back to where we started - workers deserve a fair share of the profit produced.

Why do they deserve a share of the profit?

When you accept a job offer, it's a verbal contract. You agreed to do X work for X wages. Unless part of your agreement was profit sharing, then the employer is not obligated to give that to you. You want to change the deal after the fact.

If profit sharing is important, then you decline job offers that don't offer profit sharing. But you can't agree to work for somebody and then start making up your own benefits while you work for them. You make that arrangement before you take the job.

I can't go to my employer and tell him I "deserve" six weeks of vacation a year. That's not what we agreed on. I agreed to work for him for two weeks of vacation a year. Now I can ask for him to change his policy, but he would have to change that policy for all his employees, and it's certainly not something I deserve, because what I deserve is what I agreed to do the work for.

Give me a brake. Jeeze! Companies change the fkn rules all the fkn time so put that shit back up in your closet on the top shelf, way in the back. And workers deserve good pay and bennies because with out the workers?...the employer would have nothing.

And vice versa. The difference in financial reward is the difference in financial risk. The workers only deserve what is in proportion to their work. Workers getting pay and bennies disproportionate to their value is what killed whole industries in this country.

Interesting perspective.

To me, the people who do the work produce the wealth. The investors are the catalyst smoothing the way from raw product to finished product. They only supply the tools. The people using those tools do all the work that produces the wealth. Without them, the finest tools in the world are useless and worthless.

This is typical half-truth deception. You think design and innovation isn't work? You think the guy pushing the button on the mold press in an assembly line is the only guy who works? He creates the wealth?

Truth is that the "workers" are needed but so are the engineers, the investors, the managers, and the CEOs. Take any one out of the equation and no wealth is created.
Everyone you mention is a worker. All deserve a fair share for their work.

Shareholders don't do a lick of work. Their share of the profits don't rise to the level of those doing the work.

Garbage, they take the risks. What risk dies the ditch digger take? He still gets paid for his hours. The shareholders could lose everything. They most certainly deserve their share.
Unlike the investor, he literally puts his life and health on the line.

Investors risk only replaceable funds.

I know. I am an investor and have been for 35 years. That's how I retired young.

The worker no more puts his life and health on the line than the investor. Investing could increase stress levels, and loss can be devastating to both mental and physical health.

The point I'm making is that the worker is no more responsible than any other part of the whole in creating wealth. That is the truth.
Then we're getting somewhere. If he's no more responsible, is he equally responsible or less responsible?

Worker compensation isn't determined in a vacuum. Workers' production value is relative to the profitability of the enterprise. The better job they do, the more profitable the operation and compensation should reflect that.

Compensation is a term of employment that needs to negotiated based on their value, not based on a calculus factoring how little people will accept vs cost of employee turnover.

No, that's exactly what it's determined on.

Let me ask: do you pay people that work for you more than they are worth? If your transmission goes in your car, and you get three estimates, do you choose the highest one? If you need a lawn care company and get three estimates, do you choose the one that will cut your lawn for $25.00 a cut, or the one that charges $85.00 a cut?

Nobody overpays people that work for them, so why would you expect employers to?

Fair enough. But we're right back to where we started - workers deserve a fair share of the profit produced.

Why do they deserve a share of the profit?

When you accept a job offer, it's a verbal contract. You agreed to do X work for X wages. Unless part of your agreement was profit sharing, then the employer is not obligated to give that to you. You want to change the deal after the fact.

If profit sharing is important, then you decline job offers that don't offer profit sharing. But you can't agree to work for somebody and then start making up your own benefits while you work for them. You make that arrangement before you take the job.

I can't go to my employer and tell him I "deserve" six weeks of vacation a year. That's not what we agreed on. I agreed to work for him for two weeks of vacation a year. Now I can ask for him to change his policy, but he would have to change that policy for all his employees, and it's certainly not something I deserve, because what I deserve is what I agreed to do the work for.

Give me a brake. Jeeze! Companies change the fkn rules all the fkn time so put that shit back up in your closet on the top shelf, way in the back. And workers deserve good pay and bennies because with out the workers?...the employer would have nothing.

And vice versa. The difference in financial reward is the difference in financial risk. The workers only deserve what is in proportion to their work. Workers getting pay and bennies disproportionate to their value is what killed whole industries in this country.
Agreed. And the people who gave them more than they were worth are responsible for the demise.

This is typical half-truth deception. You think design and innovation isn't work? You think the guy pushing the button on the mold press in an assembly line is the only guy who works? He creates the wealth?

Truth is that the "workers" are needed but so are the engineers, the investors, the managers, and the CEOs. Take any one out of the equation and no wealth is created.

Shareholders don't do a lick of work. Their share of the profits don't rise to the level of those doing the work.

Garbage, they take the risks. What risk dies the ditch digger take? He still gets paid for his hours. The shareholders could lose everything. They most certainly deserve their share.

I know. I am an investor and have been for 35 years. That's how I retired young.

The worker no more puts his life and health on the line than the investor. Investing could increase stress levels, and loss can be devastating to both mental and physical health.

The point I'm making is that the worker is no more responsible than any other part of the whole in creating wealth. That is the truth.
Then we're getting somewhere. If he's no more responsible, is he equally responsible or less responsible?

In most cases he's less tesponsible, since you asked.

If Germany & several other countries can do it, then why not the richest country in the world????
7 countries where college is free
In California there was no tuition for state residents. Then Ronald Reagan became governor in '67 and one of his first decrees was establishing tuition for everyone. That priced college out of my reach and the reach of many young men who then were drafted and sent to Viet Nam. Some of them came home, still unable to afford the high cost even with the GI Bill stipend of $175/mo

Hillary's plan might help get things back to normal, for everyone in the country.
You cannot tax the rich enough to pay for college for everyone. Everyone will end up paying higher taxes for it, just like in the countries that already have "free" college.
Germany has free tuition like California used to have, and they are doing well overall.

Worker compensation isn't determined in a vacuum. Workers' production value is relative to the profitability of the enterprise. The better job they do, the more profitable the operation and compensation should reflect that.

Compensation is a term of employment that needs to negotiated based on their value, not based on a calculus factoring how little people will accept vs cost of employee turnover.

No, that's exactly what it's determined on.

Let me ask: do you pay people that work for you more than they are worth? If your transmission goes in your car, and you get three estimates, do you choose the highest one? If you need a lawn care company and get three estimates, do you choose the one that will cut your lawn for $25.00 a cut, or the one that charges $85.00 a cut?

Nobody overpays people that work for them, so why would you expect employers to?
If you're actually asking me, my first priority is value. Cost is secondary. It doesn't matter if I'm buying a service, a product or a company. Getting full value for every dollar I spend is more important than number of dollars involved.

Of course the rich need others to make money, as Al pointed out the obvious.
Why do you need to compare to the negative extreme; getting desperate?

How about Germany & other northern EU countries, where there's more equality, as well as respect for laborers and consumers.
Unfortunately, USA-style greed & business non-ethics is invading EU with global economic & IT trends.

So it looks like they are learning, huh?

This is the leftist hypocrisy: If a worker goes out to earn the most that they can, that's admirable. If a company does the same, it's evil.

If you're actually asking me, my first priority is value. Cost is secondary. It doesn't matter if I'm buying a service, a product or a company. Getting full value for every dollar I spend is more important than number of dollars involved.

You are trying to drift off. So let's assume you are getting the same value for your dollar on all three estimates, which one do you choose?

They we've come to the point where we have differing opinions.

It may be because I worked my way up through the ranks, but I believe I understand value of labor.

• Thanks
Reactions: PK1
Germany has free tuition like California used to have, and they are doing well overall.

I find that amazing. I wonder how Germany gets all those professors to work for nothing. I wonder who the nice people are that build those colleges and don't charge a dime. Those utility companies must be pretty generous as well.

It may be because I worked my way up through the ranks, but I believe I understand value of labor.

I'm a worker myself. I work for a small company which just about doubled in size since I started 22 years ago. But I don't expect my employer to pay me more money than he could pay somebody else to do the same job. I don't care how much my employer makes. What I care about is that he provides me with the pay and benefits we agreed on. If I become dissatisfied with our original agreement and he refuses to renegotiate, then I have the option to make that arrangement with somebody else; perhaps his competition.

You are trying to drift off. So let's assume you are getting the same value for your dollar on all three estimates, which one do you choose?
Since you're asking me personally, I have to say I would have to consider all the factors. I'm a careful man and think things through.

I know you'd like me to say I'd pick the least expensive, but that isn't always the case. Cheapest isn't necessarily the best suited.

But this isn't about me, it's about the value of labor. Some of us value it more than others.

You and I could be twins. What are we arguing about?

I'm a worker myself. I work for a small company which just about doubled in size since I started 22 years ago. But I don't expect my employer to pay me more money than he could pay somebody else to do the same job. I don't care how much my employer makes. What I care about is that he provides me with the pay and benefits we agreed on. If I become dissatisfied with our original agreement and he refuses to renegotiate, then I have the option to make that arrangement with somebody else; perhaps his competition.
You and I could be twins. What are we arguing about?

If Germany & several other countries can do it, then why not the richest country in the world????

In California there was no tuition for state residents. Then Ronald Reagan became governor in '67 and one of his first decrees was establishing tuition for everyone. That priced college out of my reach and the reach of many young men who then were drafted and sent to Viet Nam. Some of them came home, still unable to afford the high cost even with the GI Bill stipend of $175/mo

Hillary's plan might help get things back to normal, for everyone in the country.

wasn't college like 4 grand per year back then?
i'm going to have to call BS on that story
As I recall, the tuition for the University of California system went from zero to $750 per semester ($5,400 today). There were no student loans in those days. We worked our way through college, but a $10,000+/yr nut right out of the blue was catastrophic for a teenager.

how about reducing tuition at colleges and books are so fucking overpriced it's insane...reduce the cost of those.

Can't, its a Democratic party cash cow and students are their targets.

wasn't college like 4 grand per year back then?
i'm going to have to call BS on that story
As I recall, the tuition for the University of California system went from zero to $750 per semester ($5,400 today). There were no student loans in those days. We worked our way through college, but a $10,000+/yr nut right out of the blue was catastrophic for a teenager.

how about reducing tuition at colleges and books are so fucking overpriced it's insane...reduce the cost of those.

Can't, its a Democratic party cash cow and students are their targets.

DING DING DING..........that's why they want taxpayers to pay for the ridiculous salaries and book deals of these leftwing academics

Of course the rich need others to make money, as Al pointed out the obvious.
Why do you need to compare to the negative extreme; getting desperate?

How about Germany & other northern EU countries, where there's more equality, as well as respect for laborers and consumers.
Unfortunately, USA-style greed & business non-ethics is invading EU with global economic & IT trends.
This is the leftist hypocrisy: If a worker goes out to earn the most that they can, that's admirable. If a company does the same, it's evil.
Why can't we appreciate a win-win philosophy?
Companies who offer valuable services can share wealth more equitably and have happy workers as well as owners.
There are owners who are not greedy, and we could use more of them.

You cannot tax the rich enough to pay for college for everyone. Everyone will end up paying higher taxes for it, just like in the countries that already have "free" college.

And Germany pays higher taxes than we do. California is pretty high as well. Free college isn't free.

Same here, and it does have value.

And Germany pays higher taxes than we do. California is pretty high as well. Free college isn't free.
Neither is street repair "free" for drivers who use the road the most. It's about infrastructure, and no-tuition college for smart students (usually only 18 yrs old) who qualify is an investment in social infrastructure.
I understand Germany ranked very high in the survey on "happiest countries in the world".

Forum List

Back