I, For One, Welcome Our New Self-Driving Overlords

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
A Tesla, driving on autopilot, skidded 1,600 feet after sliding under a semitruck at 68 mph, shearing off its top and killing its driver, according to a lawyer who is suing the carmaker.

The crash in west Delray Beach happened four months ago when a tractor-trailer pulled out in front of a bright red Tesla Model 3 driven by 50-year-old Jeremy Banner.

The Autopilot system failed, according to a lawsuit Banner’s family filed Thursday in Palm Beach County. The system should have braked or swerved to avoid the semitruck, Trey Lytal, the family’s attorney, said at a news conference.

Autopilot failed to keep Tesla from sliding under semitruck at 68 mph, lawsuit claims

My name is HAL 2100!
I control your Tesla Auto Pilot System.
Russian hackers are testing to see if I will neutralize anyone against Trump again.

Please call my service contro!} C=ntۥr.

A Tesla, driving on autopilot, skidded 1,600 feet after sliding under a semitruck at 68 mph, shearing off its top and killing its driver, according to a lawyer who is suing the carmaker.

The crash in west Delray Beach happened four months ago when a tractor-trailer pulled out in front of a bright red Tesla Model 3 driven by 50-year-old Jeremy Banner.

The Autopilot system failed, according to a lawsuit Banner’s family filed Thursday in Palm Beach County. The system should have braked or swerved to avoid the semitruck, Trey Lytal, the family’s attorney, said at a news conference.

Autopilot failed to keep Tesla from sliding under semitruck at 68 mph, lawsuit claims

My name is HAL 2100!
Russian hackers are testing to see if I will neutralize anyone against Trump again.

Imagine how much worse it could be with a human driver.

Four dead in fiery Denver crash, semi driver charged

There are all kinds of ads for expensive 'self-driving' cars that start with: "For those who love to drive their car".
How fucking stupid is that! "Yeah I 'love to drive my car except I'm too fucking stupid or lazy to actually 'drive' my car.

My name is HAL 2100!
It's a small price to pay to put overpaid liberals out of work.

I actually do love driving my cars.

No way in hell will I ever get an "autopilot".

My name is HAL 2100!

Those pesky ole humans just won't get out of the way in order to make this technology flawless. LOL.

Every time this happens it's made out to be some sign that these cars are not safe. People seem to forget that human error causes countless accidents. Yes, mistakes will happen, but a human will make 1,000 mistakes for every mistake the computer makes, and unlike humans the computers will continue to get better and better at driving.

In bumper to bumper 2 hour traffic for 30 mile trips, I predict much worse commute time slowdowns. Let me see a computer pull out of the carpool lane across 5 lanes of gridlock to "enter or exit". Rude or zombie drivers won't let you in, even with blinker on. you just have to force it into-out of across each lane. Going one way, driver can roll down window and hang arm out to increase signal power and literally wave his way across. Need to really plan ahead. There is little predictability when you should begin your move day to day.

Last edited:

My name is HAL 2100!

Imagine how much worse it could be with a human driver.

Four dead in fiery Denver crash, semi driver charged
  • Ok let's do the math... In a nation with (?) numbers of people driving, what are the stats on good drivers verses bad drivers in auto or trucks ?
  • Do we really need vehicles driving us instead of us driving ourselves ?? No.
  • Has it really gotten to that or should the government regulate for the bulk of the American people, the auto and truck industry, by imposing speed control technology installed by the factory, in which no one would have any control over anymore ??? Otherwise these controls placed into the vehicle would conform to the limit imposed by the state upon the section of road being traveled upon.
  • Braking and driving would be left up to the driver always.
  • Speed in most all cases is the killer of human beings that are driving upon the road ways.

On the drive from Los Banos (Fresno area) to Grapevine on I-5. If you drive 80mph you are run over. Packs of cars at 90-110mph are routine. The trip is short. Computer will do 65mph? People will freak out.

In bumper to bumper 2 hour traffic for 30 mile trips, I predict much worse commute time slowdowns. Let me see a computer pull out of the carpool lane across 5 lanes of gridlock to "enter or exit". Rude or zombie drivers wont let you in, even with blinker on. you just have to force it into-out of across each lane. On way driver dan roll down window and hang arm out to increase signal power and literally wave his way across. Got to really plan ahead. There is little predictability when you should begin your move.

Just more alternative transportation should be looked into, and then invested in quickly. Seems as if by way of these traffic jams etc that are going on, that this nation put profits ahead of a safe balance being weighed or kept ahead of in regards to this stuff, and so this has kept the nation's transportation system screwed up, dangerous, and obsolete for way to long now.

Sooner or later it'll be mandated for safety reasons. Human drivers on public roads will be a thing of the past.

How will workers get to the job site to build new roads if they cannot drive there to make them because they have not yet made them to self drive there on?

On the drive from Los Banos (Fresno area) to Grapevine on I-5. If you drive 80mph you are run over. Packs of cars at 90-110mph are routine. The trip is short. Computer will do 65mph? People will freak out.
The technology would have to be adaptable to any vehicle, and the ones it cannot be adapted to should be replaced with the help of subsidies given to the upgrader in order to assist them into complying with the new regs and technology.

Now in order to make it American in the ideals of freedom and a merit based society, we should allow those who can prove professional drivers skills to be allowed a few more miles and hour over the ones who either don't qualify or rather don't care to qualify for the extra points that would be given.

The technology would have to be adaptable to any vehicle, and the ones it cannot be adapted to should be replaced with the help of subsidies given to the upgrader in order to assist them into complying with the new regs and technology.

Now in order to make it American in the ideals of freedom and a merit based society, we should allow those who can prove professional drivers skills to be allowed a few more miles and hour over the ones who either don't qualify or rather don't care to qualify for the extra points that would be given.

Understood. What I am saying is things will slow down, or so it seems. People will not like to come to a complete stop at every red light at 5AM to turn right if no one is out there. At least in the beginning.

If all are self driving and slow........? The whole society would slow down?

Sooner or later it'll be mandated for safety reasons. Human drivers on public roads will be a thing of the past.
Hopefully not before I'm dead.

Hope you and your kind go soon so the GOVT could maybe be repaired before America is completely destroyed again. You are part of the cancer that needs to be cut out. Die quickly please.

Hope you and your kind go soon so the GOVT could maybe be repaired before America is completely destroyed again. You are part of the cancer that needs to be cut out. Die quickly please.
Way to go man! What a perfect display of assholery! As a reward you should go fuck yourself! Use a dull knife please.

As someone who works in IT, let me say in no uncertain terms that I will NEVER own a "self driving" car. It is absolutely impossible to program a vehicle that could account for every potential variable that could happen on a public roadway. Just imagine the amount of coding that would have to go into one simple problem: Differentiating between a rock and a crumpled brown paper bag. Now multiply that tens of millions of times.

As human beings we have, at a minimum, 16 years of "real world experience" before getting behind the wheel. We know that a chair sitting the middle of the highway will probably damage our car if we hit it, and we'll brake or swerve to avoid it. We also know that in the same situation, if you're being tailgated by a semi or the opposing lane is full of traffic, it stands to reason to hit the chair rather than risk a potentially fatal accident.

Computers do not "experience". They do not rationalize. They do not reason. They do what they are programmed to do and nothing more.

Forum List

Back