I Don't Know WHERE to Post This!

NoTeaPartyPleez

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2012
I've been on the phone most of the day with a very close friend who woke up this morning to find out that the only money he had was a couple of thousand dollars he kept in his basement. Overnight his identity was stolen.

This morning the phone began to ring with calls from his banks and credit card companies telling him of suspicious activities. He logged on to accounts online and saw either red or zero.

This is what he wrote in his email to me:

“””The bad news keeps going from bad to worse. I’m heading to the bank in a few moments to file a dispute. There’s no guarantee. Insurance like FDIC is to protect your account if the bank fails. Fraud is a little trickier. All the bank accounts were drained and the overdraft protection exhausted.

Every other account where I had money or investments is just zeroed out. The money wasn’t used to buy anything. The assets weren’t sold. It’s like it never existed. I’ve already spoken to the FBI and the SEC. They indicated the prognosis isn’t good when this happens. From what I can determine so far, my credit lines have also been maxed out into the 6-figures. So far I don’t see any silver lining. I fear this nightmare is just beginning.””””

This person is not a careless, clueless low-info idiot. On the contrary, he's an Ivy League educated lawyer with a lot of money, so therefore the perfect target.

The best we can assess at this early stage is his SS number and other identifiers were sold on a black website. The buyers quickly pay a fee, probably through PayPal, and then hit his accounts with all kinds of front merchant accounts from overseas. He lost over $100K in cash in just minutes. Charges from Colombia to Vermont, from Belgium to Hawaii are logged on reams of print outs.

I have no idea how to protect myself from this, but I just wanted to post this and alert others. Contact your bank and ask them how they handle such situations and see if they have restitution after establishing fraud. Do something. This is rampant. 12,000,000 identity thefts alone in 2011.

I find it hard to believe that as an attorney, he is taken aback by the *prognosis*. When people are victimized, very rarely are the victims "paid back" what is stolen. Particularly if the perp is never caught.

Most of the grasping class believe that there are money fairies who will magically replace anything that is taken from you..regardless of whether or not you actually know who did the taking.

Alas, it is not so...

I've been on the phone most of the day with a very close friend who woke up this morning to find out that the only money he had was a couple of thousand dollars he kept in his basement. Overnight his identity was stolen.

This morning the phone began to ring with calls from his banks and credit card companies telling him of suspicious activities. He logged on to accounts online and saw either red or zero.

“””The bad news keeps going from bad to worse. I’m heading to the bank in a few moments to file a dispute. There’s no guarantee. Insurance like FDIC is to protect your account if the bank fails. Fraud is a little trickier. All the bank accounts were drained and the overdraft protection exhausted.

Every other account where I had money or investments is just zeroed out. The money wasn’t used to buy anything. The assets weren’t sold. It’s like it never existed. I’ve already spoken to the FBI and the SEC. They indicated the prognosis isn’t good when this happens. From what I can determine so far, my credit lines have also been maxed out into the 6-figures. So far I don’t see any silver lining. I fear this nightmare is just beginning.””””

This person is not a careless, clueless low-info idiot. On the contrary, he's an Ivy League educated lawyer with a lot of money, so therefore the perfect target.

The best we can assess at this early stage is his SS number and other identifiers were sold on a black website. The buyers quickly pay a fee, probably through PayPal, and then hit his accounts with all kinds of front merchant accounts from overseas. He lost over $100K in cash in just minutes. Charges from Colombia to Vermont, from Belgium to Hawaii are logged on reams of print outs.

I have no idea how to protect myself from this, but I just wanted to post this and alert others. Contact your bank and ask them how they handle such situations and see if they have restitution after establishing fraud. Do something. This is rampant. 12,000,000 identity thefts alone in 2011.

No idea where to post this, eh? How about you post it in the 'nobody gives a damn' section? Oh wait, there isn't one. Yet.

I find it hard to believe that as an attorney, he is taken aback by the *prognosis*. When people are victimized, very rarely are the victims "paid back" what is stolen. Particularly if the perp is never caught.

Most of the grasping class believe that there are money fairies who will magically replace anything that is taken from you..regardless of whether or not you actually know who did the taking.

Alas, it is not so...

Our information is out there everywhere. Google identity theft and check out the numbers from 2011. Astounding. He's actually the second atty I've known to have their identity stolen. The other one didn't have assets like this though.

Remember, if the criminal hasn't been caught and convicted, no crime has occurred.

Oh what a terrible reality, for the person. It is something most of us are concerned deeply about. I do the best I can, by changing my passwords, and answers to security questions, frequently. Check all my financial sites daily.

Still....my C/C number was stolen a little less than two years ago. It was a good thing I check that site everyday. She ( or he ) had purchased lots of Avon products ( which I never use ) and joined two dating sites, ( which I don't do ) and she was stopped in her tracks because I called the Fraud department, who said they had been watching and noticed the unfamiliar charges pattern, and were going to call me, later.

It didn't cost me anything, but several months of aggravation, as I had to get a new card and number ( two week deal ) and notify many sites that hold it AND it took a while to get those charges removed. It was a giant hassle, but I was, and am, so grateful that was the worst of it all.

If this supposed situation actually occurred and it was a purchase through PayPal the perpetrators will be quickly identified and the alleged victim will be able to resolve whatever problems occurred within a reasonable time....:doubt:

Why would he be so dumb to keep money in his basement?

Have you checked his computer for spyware or keyloggers?

Why would he be so dumb to keep money in his basement?
Actually I know of two Attorneys who's wives had found money stashed away in pillow cases in the back of their closets and they were livid at their husbands for doing it. One of my attorney friends I hunt with stated he learned from his father to hoard money in case something bad happened financially emergency wise. These attorneys are in their 50's and 60's.

Last edited:
If it's the only money he's left with, I'd say he was pretty smart to put some money in his basement. Otherwise, he would have nada, if the story is to be believed.I think it's just an email hoax, myself.

Banks and credit card companies carry fraud insurance for stuff like this. Your friend will get his money back. The louder he complains, the faster they will fix it.

Forum List

Back