I don't know....maybe I'm wrong but I think this is shitty.

I live in Louisiana. My entire family and extended family live within 20 miles of me. I'm not moving to chase a job. I learned that once, spent 3 grand, got laid off, and had to come back.

Um no, I can't leave my house overnight.
You sound like another poster here....start a thread crying about how hard it is to get a job and when suggestions are floated you shoot down every one.

Well after I'm told I have a job and then the carpet is pulled out from under me in a nice little dishonest move, I tend to get a little pissed. I told him while his company is sitting with a hiring freeze Wells Fargo hasn't frozen the mortgage payments that I have to make every month.

And who was responsible for the OSHA violations at my old job? My old boss. For years I'd spoken to him about numerous problems. One of them was that the warehouse had a second level where a bunch of shit was stored. Well, it had no railings. It was about a 16 foot drop to the concrete below and the floor just ended. I was pulling some wire that was hung up in some old lights one time going get something for our sister company and I was taking steps back and felt my foot do something weird. I turned around and my back foot was halfway off the end. Literally another inch and I would have fallen to my death to the concrete below. I talked to him about it, and he told me to do research on railings they could install. I did, and I emailed him everything. Nothing happened.

Fast forward. I was told to go help someone weld in the warehouse on a truck. Now mind you, I'm an office guy. There are other office people that actually work for his company, but its only me that they constantly pick on. Why? Because in the past I've said yes, everyone else lies and says they're too busy to help. Well, I get back there and they tell me to hold this piece of metal, with absolutely no PPE available, and watch the sparks while this idiot welds to make sure nothing catches on fire and if it does, go run somewhere and find a fire extinguisher and put it out. There was flammable shit everywhere, it was a warehouse for gods sakes. I told the boss about this and he said he would look into it. Nothing ever changed.

Fast forward to the day I quit. A shipment of chairs came in and needed to be unloaded. I was the only one available for my own company to answer phones, input data and dispatch the 12 trucks I was responsible for. Well, the same idiot that did the welding demanded I help him on my only break of the day, a few minutes to shove a sandwhich down my throat, to help him unload. I knew the damn chair were on a pallet and could be unloaded in about 1 minute with our forklift but for some reason the moron wanted me to unload this stack of chairs by hand. Well I told him no and he went run to the owner of the company saying I refused to help him.

Now keep in mind, in the YEARS I worked there, not a single time did ANYONE offer to help me when I needed help. Not once. Even though I'd helped everyone in that office at least two dozen times. Even going so far as having one of my friends bring this girl a quart of oil for her car since it was low and she couldn't drive anywhere to get one. But no help for me, nope not once. So I didn't feel any remorse, people will run all over you if you let them, and I wasn't letting any of those people run over me. I kept telling them don't mistake kindness for weakness. I was pissing off my drivers helping everyone else because if I was helping them I wasn't in my dispatch chair taking care of business.

At that point, after being the only one keeping my own company and trucks going and getting no appreciation and no pay raises despite my workload at least quadroupling in the previous 3 months, I told them take this job and shove it, I refuse to help that idiot in that dangerous ass warehouse.

Two weeks later that idiot welding guy burned the warehouse down because there was nobody that was willing to go be his bitch and watch for his fire that would inevitably happen. When I heard on the news there was a warehouse fire at my old company I immediately texted my friend and told him this is who it was and this is what happened, I know exactly what it was. Sure enough, at the 6 oclock news update they said what had happened and it was exactly what I'd said happened. My friend was like holy shit how did you know? I said its part of the reason I quit.

I talked to a buddy of mine who worked for my old company as one of my drivers and after I quit, he said they had to hire 4 people to replace me I was doing so much work for the company. I was asking for a dollar an hour raise, and they refused. Now he's got to pay 4 people almost what he was paying me, for the same labor and they're all women so none will be able to go help in the warehouse like I did.

Oh the fuck well. I don't miss that shitty place at all.
Um...if the warehouse burned down....why would they hire 4 people to do your job in.....the.....warehouse?......

Cool story, bro.

Because it was the other warehouse across town. We had two for two different, but sister, companies. But it was the same idiot welding on the same trucks. He was our hired hand, he worked at whatever location needed him that day. Don't call something a story just because you don't get all the details. And had you actually read, you would have seen where I said "it was in the warehouse WHICH WASN'T MY JOB." That was the very first sentence in the OP of this entire fucking thread. But I won't ever accuse you of actually reading WTF I type. That was the whole fucking point, I didn't work in the warehouse, I wasn't dressed to work in the warehouse and I wasn't given any PPE to work in the warehouse. The 4 people they hired to replace me were office workers.

I didn't ask for suggestions, I just wanted opinions on the situation regarding the school and the driving job and whether you thought it was a shitty situation. Not once in my OP did I say "What should I do?" Nope, not once.

What you people don't seem to even realize is something I repeated over and over again, I WOULDN'T HAVE GONE TO THE SCHOOL HAD I NOT BEEN OFFERED THIS PARTICULAR JOB. That doesn't mean:

1. I want any driving job out there
2. I ever wanted to go OTR. In fact in CDL school I was telling people how I would never go OTR, I would do local or nothing. Most of them said the same thing.
3. I would accept any job regarding driving.

I've already had at least a half dozen interviews and 2 job offers. I didn't NEED this CDL. But when I went ahead and got it, for some reason people thought I'd take any driving job. I only got it with the expectation of having a driving job that had me home every night. If I can't get that then I won't drive, period. I can get a non driving job that gets me home every night, why would I accept anything less from a driving one? Had I called and he said nope, I can't help you I would have said thanks, hung up and kept on interviewing like I was before. I wouldn't have gone to truck driving school. But no, he said I can put you in a truck but you need a Class B CDL. So I went and got one. And then they froze the hiring process on me.

When you've been to 18 years of school, have multiple degrees and licenses you can be a bit picky on what job you take. I didn't go to 6 years of college to flip burgers. I'm financially fine right now, I'm just pissed I wasted 2 grand. I've always wanted to drive a big truck since I had toy trucks as a kid so I don't mind doing that, but its going to be on my terms or it won't happen. I love the idea of being alone and free. I loved the jobs I had where I worked alone and unsupervised. I can't stand a boss, who is usually dumber than me, watching my every move. My IQ is over 120, and so I analyze and think stuff through usually on a level that most people can't grasp. I've had to sit down and explain shit to my bosses, why I was doing this or that or why something needs to be done, and it took 20 minutes and he'd say "God damn you a smart mutha fucka howd you figure this shit out?" Well, I think a lot thats why. Truck driving gives you freedom. Even local is enough freedom for me. I still have all of the qualifications I had before to fall back on should I not find what I want. Like 10 years of management experience which seems to be in hot demand right now. You don't become a manager in 3 different companies in less than 12 months each after starting out at the bottom in each one unless you're pretty damn smart and know WTF you're doing.

Last edited:
Because it was the other warehouse across town. We had two for two different, but sister, companies. But it was the same idiot welding on the same trucks. He was our hired hand, he worked at whatever location needed him that day. Don't call something a story just because you don't get all the details. And had you actually read, you would have seen where I said "it was in the warehouse WHICH WASN'T MY JOB." That was the very first sentence in the OP of this entire fucking thread. But I won't ever accuse you of actually reading WTF I type. That was the whole fucking point, I didn't work in the warehouse, I wasn't dressed to work in the warehouse and I wasn't given any PPE to work in the warehouse. The 4 people they hired to replace me were office workers.

I didn't ask for suggestions, I just wanted opinions on the situation regarding the school and the driving job and whether you thought it was a shitty situation. Not once in my OP did I say "What should I do?" Nope, not once.

What you people don't seem to even realize is something I repeated over and over again, I WOULDN'T HAVE GONE TO THE SCHOOL HAD I NOT BEEN OFFERED THIS PARTICULAR JOB. That doesn't mean:

1. I want any driving job out there
2. I ever wanted to go OTR. In fact in CDL school I was telling people how I would never go OTR, I would do local or nothing. Most of them said the same thing.
3. I would accept any job regarding driving.

I've already had at least a half dozen interviews and 2 job offers. I didn't NEED this CDL. But when I went ahead and got it, for some reason people thought I'd take any driving job. I only got it with the expectation of having a driving job that had me home every night. If I can't get that then I won't drive, period. I can get a non driving job that gets me home every night, why would I accept anything less from a driving one? Had I called and he said nope, I can't help you I would have said thanks, hung up and kept on interviewing like I was before. I wouldn't have gone to truck driving school. But no, he said I can put you in a truck but you need a Class B CDL. So I went and got one. And then they froze the hiring process on me.

When you've been to 18 years of school, have multiple degrees and licenses you can be a bit picky on what job you take. I didn't go to 6 years of college to flip burgers. I'm financially fine right now, I'm just pissed I wasted 2 grand. I've always wanted to drive a big truck since I had toy trucks as a kid so I don't mind doing that, but its going to be on my terms or it won't happen. I love the idea of being alone and free. I loved the jobs I had where I worked alone and unsupervised. I can't stand a boss, who is usually dumber than me, watching my every move. My IQ is over 120, and so I analyze and think stuff through usually on a level that most people can't grasp. I've had to sit down and explain shit to my bosses, why I was doing this or that or why something needs to be done, and it took 20 minutes and he'd say "God damn you a smart mutha fucka howd you figure this shit out?" Well, I think a lot thats why. Truck driving gives you freedom. Even local is enough freedom for me. I still have all of the qualifications I had before to fall back on should I not find what I want. Like 10 years of management experience which seems to be in hot demand right now. You don't become a manager in 3 different companies in less than 12 months each after starting out at the bottom in each one unless you're pretty damn smart and know WTF you're doing.

Previously you said there are no jobs no one is hiring but here you claimed you have dozens of interviews and 2 job offers....good for you but it prove my point that there are jobs out there.
Second you could have an IQ of 200 and couple of PHDs but if you don't use it wisely and smartly it doesn't mean much. Looking for a truck driver job doesn't need a degree or high IQ. High school graduate is more than enough to get you a truck driver job.
Third. It doesn't seems to me that you are 36yo because looking for dream job of truck driver doesn't make sense to me. When I was young I always wanted to be a pilot..... but if I became a pilot that could have been a very big mistakes for me. Anybody can have a dream job I'm not stopping you but good lord.....truck driver? I never heard this one. About 10 to 15 years from now they will or might find a way to fire you then replace with younger cheaper driver.... Then what? Back to square one... which is today.

I never said it was a dream job. I said I enjoyed the freedom that being even a local truck driver gives you. I also said I enjoyed the freedom past jobs gave me when I worked alone. I can't help I don't have those jobs anymore, one the facility went out of business and the other the owners sold out to another company who let me go.

I never said I couldn't find a job, I said I COULDN'T FIND A GOOD JOB.

Forum List

Back