CDZ I do not understand the fascination with and demand for semi-automatic rifles

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you put assault style weapons under the NFA, you're not banning them because people, who are willing to do the paperwork, can purchase and own such weapons as long as they comply with NFA rules.
You are, however, creating an unnecessary and ineffective restriction on the exercise of the right to keep and bear arms by the law abiding.
By definition, unnecessary and ineffective restrictions on the exercise of a right infringe upon that right.

Yes, and also the value of wounding an enemy in battle that can be said to cause the enemy more hardship than the dead. The Nato cartridge was designed with that in mind.
The "NATO cartridge" is a development of a civilian cartridge, with no practical change in the exterior or terminal ballistics of same.

A law saying what you suggest wouldn't last til the water got hot, because semi-automatic rifles aren't "military weapons, modified for civilian use".

The M-14 is based on the M-1 Garland. You want to outlaw Garlands, too? What's the next round of stupidity? Will bolt action rifles be called " high powered sniper rifles"?...lol
Garland twice!

The "NATO cartridge" is a development of a civilian cartridge, with no practical change in the exterior or terminal ballistics of same.
No, not true and if you know your topic you can tell me why. I'll give you as much time as you need.

If you thought the founders intention regarding the second amendment related to sport, or hunting... You were wrong.

washinggun.jpg

By placing those firearms under the NFA, you will be placing a tax on them. The Supreme Court has ruled that a right can't be taxed.

I don't think so, because there are hundreds of weapons that fall under the NFA right now that you can't own without doing NFA paperwork.

There are even some weapons that are banned outright under the NRA, the M4 Carbine the army and marines use, for example.

I don't think so, because there are hundreds of weapons that fall under the NFA right now that you can't own without doing NFA paperwork.

There are even some weapons that are banned outright under the NRA, the M4 Carbine the army and marines use, for example.
The only firearms that fall under the NFA, are short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, suppressors and automatic firearms.

M-4's aren't banned. There may not be available, but they aren't banned. An M-4 is literally a carbine version of the M-16. Are they banned under the unconstitutional amendment that bans automatic weapons built after 1986? I guess, technically. Can I apply for and receive an FFL and build one? Yes, I can. So, "banned" is a relative term.

But, again, it's unconstitutional to tax a right.

No, not true and if you know your topic you can tell me why. I'll give you as much time as you need.
Is your statement, above, one of ignorance, or dishonesty?

The .223 Remington (designated as the 223 Remington by the SAAMI[3] and 223 Rem by the CIP[4]) is a rimless, bottlenecked rifle cartridge. It was developed in 1957 by Remington Arms and Fairchild Industries for the U.S. Continental Army Command of the United States Army as part of a project to create a small-caliber, high-velocity firearm. The .223 Remington is considered one of the most popular cartridges and is currently used by a wide range of semi-automatic and manual-action rifles as well as handguns.

In the US Army, the cartridge is referred to as "Cartridge, 5.56 mm ball M193." The 5.56×45mm NATO was also developed from the 223 Remington.[5]...on.[5] In September 1963, the .223 Remington cartridge was officially accepted and named "Cartridge, 5.56 mm ball, M193"

What the remarks above allude to is that the fascination with and demand for with semi-automatic rifles derives from what one call a hobbyist collector's passion. That fine, but it's also emotional. [1] That said, I don't seek a justification; I seek an explanation(s), one that is credible.
Asked and answered.

That you don’t like the explanation doesn’t make it invalid.

For example, I’ve got a Vepr Kalashnikov platform semi-auto rifle chambered in 54R that’s literally a blast to shoot.

It also makes for an excellent hunting rifle, suitable for most – if not all – North American game.

Just write a law placing "assault style weapons" under the NFA.

Define "assault style weapons" as a style of weapon used by a military at some point, modified for civilian use, that can attach a magazine of greater than 5 rounds, etc.

That would cover the Mini-14 which is based on the M14.

You could still own these weapons, you'd just have to comply with the NFA.

Obviously, a law can be written to cover the Mini-14.
At the risk of being pedantic, you would amend the NFA – it already exists as a law.

And the 1911 and Beretta 92 were used by the military at some point and have magazines greater than 5 rounds, certainly such handguns shouldn’t be subject to NFA restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back