I am thinking of a career change...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I have been in the real estate business (different areas within the last few years) but I have always wanted to be a teacher. I have no college education, which makes it a little harder. Plus I am 24, and I work full time, so it would be a while before I could actually start working as one, because I would have to only go to school a few nights a week.

my question is, do you think I should go for it? I would maybe like to teach elementary school, probably 3rd or 4th grade, or maybe high school. I love working with kids, and found I had a knack for teaching and helping kids learn when I volunteered in my brother's 2nd grade class in my senior year. My job was to give the teacher a break 2x a week and read the kids stories and help them with in-class work. My brother's teacher at the time said that I should look into the career as one.

I guess what I am really scared of is the change from what I know and what I have experience in. Can I take SOME of my courses online to lighten the load of going to an actual campus? I guess I would have to check out the local colleges to know, but I was hoping that someone who is or was a teacher may be able to help. Thanks.

Originally posted by fuzzykitten99
I have been in the real estate business (different areas within the last few years) but I have always wanted to be a teacher. I have no college education, which makes it a little harder. Plus I am 24, and I work full time, so it would be a while before I could actually start working as one, because I would have to only go to school a few nights a week.

my question is, do you think I should go for it? I would maybe like to teach elementary school, probably 3rd or 4th grade, or maybe high school. I love working with kids, and found I had a knack for teaching and helping kids learn when I volunteered in my brother's 2nd grade class in my senior year. My job was to give the teacher a break 2x a week and read the kids stories and help them with in-class work. My brother's teacher at the time said that I should look into the career as one.

I guess what I am really scared of is the change from what I know and what I have experience in. Can I take SOME of my courses online to lighten the load of going to an actual campus? I guess I would have to check out the local colleges to know, but I was hoping that someone who is or was a teacher may be able to help. Thanks.

I can't think of one reason to discourage you from teaching.

1. First and foremost, we need good teachers!
2. It can be EXTREMELY rewarding. (although maybe not monetarily)
3. Summers off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For many.
4. I am a true believer that you never really know something until you can teach what you "know" to someone else.

Well, that's all I can think of now. Any questions?

GO FOR IT!

I LOVE the idea of summers off, cuz that's the time when I try to get out of working the most. I use most of my PTO in the summer.

I will either have to get a student loan of financial aid because of the costs of going, but that doesn't bother me. By the time I would actually start my career, my hubby should be more than able to support us until I get 'seasoned' and get a teaching contract and start getting paid. He is doing well in his field and the area he is in, is always busy and he is guaranteed a job with his company.

I would love to teach at the school that my son will be going to, because it is only 3 blocks from home.

Oh yes! Go for it! If you have a knack for it, you're needed. Since you are a 'non-traditional' student, perhaps the most cost effective way to begin is to get your requirements done at the community college. Take Child and the Family, Child Psych., only if you MIGHT think about Middle School Endorsement take Adolescent Psych.

Our local college offers self-paced courses for many, meaning you get the texts, some tapes, and have an advisor. You go to the school to take tests and hand in any assignments. No classes per se.

Internet classes still iffy at the undergrad level and I doubt at the grad level would be well accepted, though they are gaining in popularity. If you've been out of school for awhile, I think going to classes, if possible is a good thing.

If you want more-pm me! I love talking about teaching.

Fuzzy, my mother had the same dream to be a teacher. When her and my dad split up, she worked full time, and went to night school (I was old enough to look after my sister). After many years, she graduated from the University of Houston and started teaching. She was actually awarded something like Best Teacher in the Houston ISD. So the moral of the story is, if that is your dream, go for it! :thup:

I was certified by the state but had no college, but I taught Art for 11 years in a private school. It's great!

Originally posted by -=d=-
www.goarmy.com

the only branch of the military i want to join is the Air Force, but only to be trained to fly the f16 Falcon. The only problem is I need corrective lenses. I would have joined right out of HS had this not been a factor. I totally wanna fly one of those planes! At the very least I want to get a ride in one. I think it would be the ultimate thrill ride.

Does any of the corrective laser surgery options deal with this? Not personal, just wondering.

actually, i don't know, and i was thinking about that if they accepted people with lasik...but lasik was WAY expensive 5 years ago, and it was not an option. i never bothered to ask the recruiters at my school if they accepted lasik applicants because of the unlikelyhood of the proceedure happening to me.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Fuzzy, my mother had the same dream to be a teacher. When her and my dad split up, she worked full time, and went to night school (I was old enough to look after my sister). After many years, she graduated from the University of Houston and started teaching. She was actually awarded something like Best Teacher in the Houston ISD. So the moral of the story is, if that is your dream, go for it! :thup:

WOW...this makes me feel better about the whole thing! How did she finance it, if it isn't too personal? I was hoping to get a good discount through work since I work for a major national bank, who offers great discounted interest rates for employees. without them, i would not have been able to get the interest rate i did for my mortgage, and afford to buy my grandma's house. i don't want to use financial aid unless necessary, because i don't like to take handouts when there are so many other people who need it more. but i guess if i qualify, maybe i am one of those people. :huh:

like GOP's mom, I went back via divorce. Since the generous ex was sending $50 bucks per month for me and 3 young children, I qualified for major FAFSA bucks. Didn't hurt that I also qualified for scholarship, but not that hard.

If you want, you can do!

Originally posted by Kathianne
like GOP's mom, I went back via divorce. Since the generous ex was sending $50 bucks per month for me and 3 young children, I qualified for major FAFSA bucks. Didn't hurt that I also qualified for scholarship, but not that hard.

If you want, you can do!

can i still apply for scholarships, even though i never took the SATs, or any other test that has to do with college?

Oh yeah! If you have a learning disability there is help there too. Let me know.

Schools need caring people, you seem to fit the bill.

GO FOR IT! I'm in the same position myself. I work during the day, and go to school at night - only 1 half credit this summer. The univeristy I go to has Insturctional Television, and many classes are offered on-line, making things a little easier. I'm partially blind, and do get some help, although not financial ie: proof reader (hahaha) and my notes are provided sometimes, depending on the size of the class.

Teaching is a wonderful choice IMO. I work with kids myself, but a school setting would be too structured for me. I work from home - a lot easier and more fun (for me anyway). Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!

Originally posted by Said1
GO FOR IT! I'm in the same position myself. I work during the day, and go to school at night - only 1 half credit this summer. The univeristy I go to has Insturctional Television, and many classes are offered on-line, making things a little easier. I'm partially blind, and do get some help, although not financial ie: proof reader (hahaha) and my notes are provided sometimes, depending on the size of the class.

Teaching is a wonderful choice IMO. I work with kids myself, but a school setting would be too structured for me. I work from home - a lot easier and more fun (for me anyway). Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!

Good for you Said1. You're going about the rate I am for my MsEd. I can't hear, you can't see. Hmmm, together we might make 1.

WOW...this makes me feel better about the whole thing! How did she finance it, if it isn't too personal? I was hoping to get a good discount through work since I work for a major national bank, who offers great discounted interest rates for employees. without them, i would not have been able to get the interest rate i did for my mortgage, and afford to buy my grandma's house. i don't want to use financial aid unless necessary, because i don't like to take handouts when there are so many other people who need it more. but i guess if i qualify, maybe i am one of those people. :huh:

While we were still living with her, child support helped her pay the bills so she could take a class or two at night school. Then when we moved in with our dad, she had more time/money so she took more classes. It took her about 8 years total time, working full time and going to school, but she is one of those people who is very popular with others right off the bat, so she made a lot of friends along the way.
As far as grant programs, if you qualify, go for it!!!

Originally posted by Kathianne
Good for you Said1. You're going about the rate I am for my MsEd. I can't hear, you can't see. Hmmm, together we might make 1.

I enjoy doing it this way. I don't have to work so hard, and going to class is almost like a night out :D Only sometimes, I'm surrounded by 100 "CC's" ;)

Forum List

Back