CDZ I am for the Electoral College

Your statement is incorrect. The EC does not represent 'vote by acre' never did. This thread is not about slavery, that being said, the 3/4 vote actually gave slaves some recognition where they were given none before and, BTW the abolitionists won.
What do you mean slaves given recognition?

They couldn't vote. They weren't even considered "people" (see USSC Justice Tanney in Scott v Sandford plaintiff in error)

Slaves outnumbered whites in mississippi in the mid 1800s. If they could vote, they would have voted for an abolitionist.

Which is why the Constitution transferred any vote they might have had, to be used by the surrounding population.

And here's another log in this fire. Had the Benghazi Bitch won 2016, we'd hear nothing but high praises for the electoral College and how wonderful the system is. Democrats are such raging hypocrites.

Slaves outnumbered whites in mississippi in the mid 1800s. If they could vote, they would have voted for an abolitionist.

Which is why the Constitution transferred any vote they might have had, to be used by the surrounding population.
The Constitution did not transfer any votes.

I am for strengthening the electoral college as to where the President-Elect must get both the plurality of the nationwide popular vote as well as the majority of the electoral votes—the famous “270” that we hear about. Save for that one aspect of strengthening, I’m quite happy with the current formation of the electoral college as opposed to the direct election of the president through the national popular vote.

Here is why;

Whatever system we have must be good for every outcome. While not perfect, the current system ensures that at least a majority of the electors select the president. A national popular vote, in the year 2020, would do the same thing. However, ours is not a static electoral landscape. Does anyone remember all of those great democratic presidents from California? Yeah, neither do I. That’s because what is a solid blue state today used to be a pretty dependable red state. Presidents Nixon and Reagan both came from there; both republicans. The brick red-south used to be called the “solid south” for another reason; they supported democrats almost exclusively. So today’s reality must not be taken as being carved in stone.

Further, the two-party system that we currently have has not always been the case. In the future there may be serval parties that emerge dividing the vote into smaller percentages. Whereas the Electoral College has remedies for no one candidate getting 270 electoral votes, the national popular vote has only a provision for the candidate who gets the most votes winning whether it be 80% of the vote, 50% of the vote, or 12% of the vote if every other candidate gets 11.9% and less. As unsettling it is to contemplate the winner having been crowned when 88% chose someone else, it’s even more unsettling to consider that the proposed remedies—a nationwide runoff—would delay a president-elect being named for weeks. There is an intriguing remedy of “rank choice voting” where you have an instant run-off. It is explained here.

I don’t care much for the idea as it would elevate a candidate who didn’t get the most “first choice” votes to office based on being more voter’s second choice. But I could see some value in the concept.

One of the most frequent complaints about the electoral college is that candidates only campaign seriously if a handful of states that are considered to be contested. This is true. Here is a graphic from the National Popular Vote website that shows the campaign stops

View attachment 360418

What isn’t addressed by the graphic is that if an NPV was instituted, the candidates would focus almost solely on high population centers as opposed to toss-up states; thus substituting one criteria-based campaign strategy for another. I’ve heard some proponents of the NPV state that this is how it “should” be—high population centers having more sway than comparatively rural areas like Nevada and Colorado. I reject that because demographics, as I mentioned earlier, do change over time.

Lastly, let me close on what I mentioned earlier. In this day and age, there is no reason to ignore the national popular vote. In a democracy, you vote should matter and it should have some effect on the outcome of the election in which you’re voting. So that is why I’m for strengthening the electoral college by having the president-elect win both the plurality of the popular vote and the electoral vote majority. If they do not win both, the remedies of the 12th Amendment come into play; just as it would if no candidate gets 270 electoral votes four months from now. Given the most recent election saw the Blob win an electoral victory without winning a popular vote victory, I’m sure some will see this as me trying to throw up a hurdle to his oozing into office. I wish it were that easy. But no, I brought up the plan I had long before he won. From 2015:

Electoral College. Just why?

The remedy I proposed, in our history, would only have changed the winner (arguably) 4 times when the President didn’t get both the EC victory and the NPV victory. In the two most recent incarnations; Bush in 2000 and the Blob in 2016; in both cases the House would have almost certainly delivered the presidency to Bush and Trump since the GOP had majorities in both 2000 and 2016. So this is not me trying to re-write history.

There is plenty wrong with our system of electing Presidents. We need to make election day into an election week. We need to expand access to the ballot requiring states to offer no-cause absentee voting. We need to get the parties out of the business of running elections all together and let the county clerks and election officials run elections. We need to have third, fourth, and fifth parties on the debate stage next to the Democrats and Republicans so voters can draw distinctions between the different candidates who are running. But one thing that we have that works in all climates is the electoral college. I think it needs to be strengthened to make sure the President Elect is the voter’s choice. But it’s not bad the way it is.

Or better yet ,just leave well enough alone. A system that has worked for over 200 years can't be all bad.

As with all things, there is room for improvement.

Yet the only times these "improvements" are brought up is when your party loses. Go figure.

I am for strengthening the electoral college as to where the President-Elect must get both the plurality of the nationwide popular vote as well as the majority of the electoral votes—the famous “270” that we hear about. Save for that one aspect of strengthening, I’m quite happy with the current formation of the electoral college as opposed to the direct election of the president through the national popular vote.

Here is why;

Whatever system we have must be good for every outcome. While not perfect, the current system ensures that at least a majority of the electors select the president. A national popular vote, in the year 2020, would do the same thing. However, ours is not a static electoral landscape. Does anyone remember all of those great democratic presidents from California? Yeah, neither do I. That’s because what is a solid blue state today used to be a pretty dependable red state. Presidents Nixon and Reagan both came from there; both republicans. The brick red-south used to be called the “solid south” for another reason; they supported democrats almost exclusively. So today’s reality must not be taken as being carved in stone.

Further, the two-party system that we currently have has not always been the case. In the future there may be serval parties that emerge dividing the vote into smaller percentages. Whereas the Electoral College has remedies for no one candidate getting 270 electoral votes, the national popular vote has only a provision for the candidate who gets the most votes winning whether it be 80% of the vote, 50% of the vote, or 12% of the vote if every other candidate gets 11.9% and less. As unsettling it is to contemplate the winner having been crowned when 88% chose someone else, it’s even more unsettling to consider that the proposed remedies—a nationwide runoff—would delay a president-elect being named for weeks. There is an intriguing remedy of “rank choice voting” where you have an instant run-off. It is explained here.

I don’t care much for the idea as it would elevate a candidate who didn’t get the most “first choice” votes to office based on being more voter’s second choice. But I could see some value in the concept.

One of the most frequent complaints about the electoral college is that candidates only campaign seriously if a handful of states that are considered to be contested. This is true. Here is a graphic from the National Popular Vote website that shows the campaign stops

View attachment 360418

What isn’t addressed by the graphic is that if an NPV was instituted, the candidates would focus almost solely on high population centers as opposed to toss-up states; thus substituting one criteria-based campaign strategy for another. I’ve heard some proponents of the NPV state that this is how it “should” be—high population centers having more sway than comparatively rural areas like Nevada and Colorado. I reject that because demographics, as I mentioned earlier, do change over time.

Lastly, let me close on what I mentioned earlier. In this day and age, there is no reason to ignore the national popular vote. In a democracy, you vote should matter and it should have some effect on the outcome of the election in which you’re voting. So that is why I’m for strengthening the electoral college by having the president-elect win both the plurality of the popular vote and the electoral vote majority. If they do not win both, the remedies of the 12th Amendment come into play; just as it would if no candidate gets 270 electoral votes four months from now. Given the most recent election saw the Blob win an electoral victory without winning a popular vote victory, I’m sure some will see this as me trying to throw up a hurdle to his oozing into office. I wish it were that easy. But no, I brought up the plan I had long before he won. From 2015:

The remedy I proposed, in our history, would only have changed the winner (arguably) 4 times when the President didn’t get both the EC victory and the NPV victory. In the two most recent incarnations; Bush in 2000 and the Blob in 2016; in both cases the House would have almost certainly delivered the presidency to Bush and Trump since the GOP had majorities in both 2000 and 2016. So this is not me trying to re-write history.

There is plenty wrong with our system of electing Presidents. We need to make election day into an election week. We need to expand access to the ballot requiring states to offer no-cause absentee voting. We need to get the parties out of the business of running elections all together and let the county clerks and election officials run elections. We need to have third, fourth, and fifth parties on the debate stage next to the Democrats and Republicans so voters can draw distinctions between the different candidates who are running. But one thing that we have that works in all climates is the electoral college. I think it needs to be strengthened to make sure the President Elect is the voter’s choice. But it’s not bad the way it is.

Eliminate "winner takes all" rules and allocate proportionately.

Here is why;

View attachment 360418

Or better yet ,just leave well enough alone. A system that has worked for over 200 years can't be all bad.

The Taj Mahal ,for instance? Hmmmmm….. Here we have ,no matter how flawed ,the best system of Gov't the World has ever seen. Our election process gives the STATES the Power to elect the President. And this is important. The Problems in Wyoming ,Montana ,and Texas are NOT the same as NYC ,Chicago ,or Los Angeles.A POPULAR Vote would allow 4 or 5 Mega Cities to rule. This is to be avoided at all cost.

I agree. This is why I recommend counting both the EC and PV. But if the question is not "and" but "or", I'll stick with what we have now.

The EV way already accounts for popular vote, of each state, which is what the EC was designed for.

Founding Fathers went out of their was to AVOID a national popular vote, by setting up the EC, to shift the popular vote to the individual states instead.

I think the executive should represent the will of the people.

They do, that's why the people chose their State representatives. That's the way it's done in a Republic, If you can remember the Pledge of Allegiance, "and to the Republic for which it stands". Democracy ends at the State line.

Here is why;

View attachment 360418

Why would any of the less populous states agree to that?

In a perfect world, it would just make sense to have the person who gets the most votes win the election. The less populous states would have just as much power as they have today.
How do you figure that?

I submitted a paper on this stuff decades ago when I was a teenager in high school. The math said that the EC system empowered the individual voter slightly more. I had no bias whatsoever back then. Just a non political teenager doing the science.

Last edited:
I'm for keeping the Electoral College but the number of electors each state receives per House seat should be replaced so that one person's vote is of near equal proportion regardless of which state they reside.
(1) instead of by the number of US House members, I'd like to see this portion of state electors determined by 1 for each 50,000
The easiest way to do that is simple. Remove senators from a states electoral college count. Make it only the representatives determining EC count, since the number of representatives is based on population. It was the adding of the two senate seats to the count that skewed small states with 1 representative, getting three times the EC votes per capita, as big states.

Because the maximum number of seats in the House is fixed at 435, it is the per capita portion represented by the House of Representative seats that is askew.

Looking at just the electoral votes based on the House, California has 66 times the population of Wyoming but in terms of House seats they have 53 as opposed to 66. Thus a Wyoming vote counts 124% more than a voter in California, just it terms of the House seats portion of the equation. Yes, as you say the 2 senators per state skews the weight of the vote to an even greater extent, but it was simply my point not to change the system but rather to bring it back closer to how things were before the change in determining the number of seats each state gets in the House.

Source of my numbers: 2010 Census - State Population and the Distribution of Electoral Votes and Representatives

Last edited:

Here is why;

View attachment 360418

The problem with throwing it to the House if the NV and the EV are split is it just gives the loser a new thing to complain about. Then there will be talk of expanding the House so each rep is actually even to avoid the states with 1 rep that are technically "over represented".

And I think election day should only be 1 day, a true 24 hour period from the night before (figure 9 PM ) to the night of (9PM). It should always be a national federal holiday and State holiday, regardless of it being a presidential election or not.

People should have to CARE ENOUGH to go and vote. Absentee ballots should be for true absentees and those physically unable to reach a polling place.

If the standard way of voting was by mail, nobody would be saying that going to the polling place is a better idea. Going, standing in line for hours at times, in late fall...on a work day. Sorry....most voting should be done by mail and on days other than election day.

As for the expansion of the House, that should be happening anyway. One rep has about 500,000-600,000 constituents

Voting by mail eliminates the concept of the private/anonymous ballot. It allows family members to pressure each other, employers/unions to pressure employees/members. It also allows people to harvest unused ballots and commit fraud. We saw a small local example of harvesting just recently in NJ.

You also ignored my point of making it a federal/State holiday, and for 24 hour voting. Sorry, but if you can't figure out how to get to a polling place in that time frame with most people being off from work then you don't deserve to vote.

The issue isn't the inflation of voters per rep, it's the inflation of the things the feds feel the need to get involved with. If the feds concerned themselves with true national issues, and not trying to make the whole US a homogeneous slate of drones the # of persons per rep wouldn't be a big deal.

Yours is a sad world.

I have never considered what he just said. I think there is some merit to his position.

A national holiday for voting is a decent enough idea. As for the intimidation factor....it's completely made up otherwise you could just as easily make the argument that you can be intimidated from voting in person since you have to physically go to the location. The fraud argument is ridiculous.

I would not be opposed to a national holiday on the voting day. That seems reasonable to me.

Honestly... the more I think about it, I'm just not really a fan.

I guess I would be ok with it, but...

The concept that we want more people to vote, and thus we want to make it as easy as possible, so that every single person barely has to lift a figure, to vote.... is that really what we want? Seriously?

I was reading some guy wanted to make it so that you could vote from your living room, with your cable box. So you can finish watching survivor, vote on the direction of the entire nation, and then watch real housewives. Is that what we really want?

Let me to tell you about my roommate I had. This chick, got kicked out of her apartment. I felt bad for her, and let her stay in my spare bedroom. Then I started noticing things. She spent every penny she had, from every check, before she got her next check. Paid of Friday, broke by Thursday. Never saved a penny. But nevertheless bought stuff constantly complaining she was poor, and asking for help. All the time. I came home, and she had two chocolate cakes. She said she went to one store, and decided to buy the chocolate cake. Then went to another store, and say they had a chocolate cake too. So she bought both, so that she could eat both, and know which one was better if she need a cake in the future.

Not making this up. It wasn't a birthday, or a holiday, or a retirement party. She just bought two chocolate cakes. Then I would come home from work, and she would be laying on the couch like a beached whale, and shoveling chips and snacks in her face, and would be watching (Not making this up), Biggest Loser on TV, and crying that she wished she could be like them. She couldn't pay rent, but she could buy two chocolate cakes, shovel them in her face, and cry she wished she could lose weight like the people on biggest loser.

Just to finish the story, I kicked her out for being 3 months late on rent, and 4 months later she told me she has diabetes. Shocking. Shocking I say.

Now I told you all of that to say this....

Are you absolutely sure we want to make it easier for the most irresponsible train wreck people in our society to vote? Are you sure about that?

There is part of me, that thinks there is something good about a natural filter, that prevents the most useless and irresponsible people from voting.

That if you can't waddle your wide butt to get a driver's license or state ID, and then roll your round ass to the car or bus stop, to go spend the massive 15 minutes it takes to cast a vote, because this interrupts your 'cake-gorging-biggest-loser-rerun-marathon'..........

Well... maybe it's best we don't have you involved in the leadership choices, and policy direction of the most wealthy and militarily power country in the world.

Maybe requiring you to put in some amount of effort to vote, will filter out the people that should not be voting anyway.

Here is why;

View attachment 360418

Lastly, let me close on what I mentioned earlier. In this day and age, there is no reason to ignore the national popular vote. In a democracy, you vote should matter and it should have some effect on the outcome of the election in which you’re voting. So that is why I’m for strengthening the electoral college by having the president-elect win both the plurality of the popular vote and the electoral vote majority. If they do not win both, the remedies of the 12th Amendment come into play; just as it would if no candidate gets 270 electoral votes four months from now. Given the most recent election saw the XXXX win an electoral victory without winning a popular vote victory, I’m sure some will see this as me trying to throw up a hurdle to his XXXXXX into office. I wish it were that easy. But no, I brought up the plan I had long before he won. From 2015:

The remedy I proposed, in our history, would only have changed the winner (arguably) 4 times when the President didn’t get both the EC victory and the NPV victory. In the two most recent incarnations; Bush in 2000 and the XXXX in 2016; in both cases the House would have almost certainly delivered the presidency to Bush and Trump since the GOP had majorities in both 2000 and 2016. So this is not me trying to re-write history.

/——/ Translation: Keep changing the rules until democRATs win.

Here is why;

View attachment 360418

That's the first question, but the second is whether the proposed improvement is actually better.

At least you're not just blindly advocating the PV, but I like the EV the way it is. The founders got it right

Here is why;

View attachment 360418

Disagree. The whole point of the EC was to keep one or two heavily populated areas from RULING the rest of us.

Do away with The Electoral College and we won't need presidential elections. Just a fight-until-one's-dead match between the mayors of New York City and Los Angeles.

Which is only half as good as it could be......

I have read nothing in this thread that would change my mind on the EC. It is still the best way for the majority to be balanced with the minority.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

Yet the only times these "improvements" are brought up is when your party loses. Go figure.

Yep. And CandyCorn wrote a post in 2012 crowing about Obama's electoral college victory over Romney eschewing the popular vote. I called her on that before

Yep. And CandyCorn wrote posts about 2012 crowing about Obama's electoral college victory over Romney eschewing the popular vote. I called her on that before. Just Google "332-206" for CandyCorn and you'll see these quotes and more

No; 332-206 is and we use the Electoral college. Losers talk about percentages of popular vote.

Obama also won almost every state that was up for grabs. In short, he kicked Romney's ass.

332-206..

You chose to engage...you don't have anyone IRL that you can talk to...poor baby

:dance:

332-206 courtesy of the women's vote.

:dance:
:dance: :lol: :dance:
:dance: :lol: :dance: :lol: :dance:

Enjoy your single digit approval rate...you've earned it.

Still applauding Al Queda you piece of shit?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back