I Am Done With the Politics Forum

I agree with Midcan...it's all been said before.

It gets frustrating arguing against the same stupid talking points again and again.

How much time are you willing to waste typing the same response in reply to a fresh imbecile with a still wet copy of the gun-grabber false "fact" crib sheet?

Best thing you can do is start a blog and save your most well researched and written posts.

When the new ignoramus appears, or an old ignoramus tries to slip in previously debunked thread topics, you can hit them in the face with an old post without wasting time or energy.

JMHO, YMMV.

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed the increasing idiocy of those posts? I can barely remember the days when there was intelligent, principled liberal-conservative debate. Now it is little more than cheer leading for whichever team one identifies with, regardless of facts, logic or civil discourse. I fear this is representative of the country as a whole, with each side seeking to manipulate the brainless masses. History does not suggest a good outcome...

Its not just the politics forum but what you describe is why I don't post very often. Also why I don't make much attempt at conversation or debate.

When you're in a bad mood or need to unload, this board is the perfect place to visit.

If you want intelligent discourse, go elsewhere.

The sad fact is, we are a country divided. Despite President Obama's attempts to bring us together, he can't fight the constant filth from an entire party who swore to bring him and the country down.

That division, as well as the vision the owners have/had for this board, are reflected in the way posters talk to each other.

his attempts?.....ok if you say so.....

Has anyone else noticed the increasing idiocy of those posts? I can barely remember the days when there was intelligent, principled liberal-conservative debate. Now it is little more than cheer leading for whichever team one identifies with, regardless of facts, logic or civil discourse. I fear this is representative of the country as a whole, with each side seeking to manipulate the brainless masses. History does not suggest a good outcome...

Its not just the politics forum but what you describe is why I don't post very often. Also why I don't make much attempt at conversation or debate.

When you're in a bad mood or need to unload, this board is the perfect place to visit.

If you want intelligent discourse, go elsewhere.

The sad fact is, we are a country divided. Despite President Obama's attempts to bring us together, he can't fight the constant filth from an entire party who swore to bring him and the country down.

That division, as well as the vision the owners have/had for this board, are reflected in the way posters talk to each other.

Total Posts: 13,073
Posts Per Day: 19.12
Find all posts by Luddly Neddite
Find all threads started by Luddly Neddite

13,000 posts, `19 posts/day. And you don't post very often. Seriously dude. You are more than a little out of touch with reality.

Maybe we could make the CDZ a membership forum? XXXX

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe we could make the CDZ a membership forum?

For the most part – it is. The only difference is that you need to lose your membership here rather than gain it. Any raucous people eventually lose their access here forever as they get 3 chances. Just give it time, many of the people that do not belong posting in the CDZ are no longer allowed to post here.

If you refuse to stand up to the people you think are idiots because they don't play fair then you give them the power to control what, and when, you speak up.

That makes you the loser.

!!!
Methinks you are looking at your avatar too much. There is no ‘winner’ here.

There is only your opinion and how you evolve that opinion over the new information/perspective that this site can give you should you know where to look.
:D

If you refuse to stand up to the people you think are idiots because they don't play fair then you give them the power to control what, and when, you speak up.

That makes you the loser.

!!!
Methinks you are looking at your avatar too much. There is no ‘winner’ here.

There is only your opinion and how you evolve that opinion over the new information/perspective that this site can give you should you know where to look.
:D

I didn't say the idiots would win, just that anyone who didn't stand up to them because they don't like their tactics will lose.

There could be a Formal Debate forum with rules to be followed by the two opposing posters only, for a set number of alternating posts followed with judging by members familiar with the rules and purpose of logical debate. (A good debater can take either side...and win.) ...but such a forum would be peculiar to the basic tenets of a message board and would require considerable moderator efforts. Again, we're screwed. :lol:

I used to coach debate. There is a formal set of rules for such a debate. There is a clearly articulated proposition and the audience votes in advance for which side they favor. Speakers proceed under the ordinary rules of forensics alternating for however many rounds are mutually agreed on. At the end, the same audience is polled again. The side that has gained ground is the winner. Provision can be made for audience questions. I've participated in a couple of these on line and the logistics work out pretty well. But the participants need to know what they are doing.

You're right; we're screwed.

This is all for information and entertainment---mainly entertainment.

I am most amused at folks on left end of the spectrum---the ones who have been spoon-fed by the mass media all their lives, then can't believe any evidence that challenges it.

Most of the time, courtesy and compassion are called for in the discussion, but sometimes a flamethrower is warrented.

Rule changes which clearly delineate areas where a more formal type of discussion would take place and a more informal and anything goes types of discussion take place inhibit or otherwise thwart quality discussion would prompt the quality discussion you appear to be describing. ply not found

I am not one for many rules, in fact, if I want the more academic and structured discussion where ideas are actually heralded and personal attacks are simply not present I go to other would go to those places as they are offered through my professional associations or almae matres. This place is good for a few beginning posts then digresses into a series of personal attacks and flames. Hardly any ideas are truly digested and discussed. Then if someone gets really upset they run downstairs to play in a more nonsensical manner and cry when someone bests them.

This is a good place for it's advertised purpose, but, never anything for what is does not hold itself out to be.

This happens when a Board is predominantly right wing, and prone to use profanity and ad hominems in their attacks on those who don't agree with them.

Most eventually dissipate, as they end up with only their own kind - and how boring is that!

:)

Perhaps, unnoticed by many, but there may be a learning process going on at the same time? Do some do their homework before posting? True, some get frustrated, probably because they are wrong, and begin the name-calling bit, but that too can be a learning experience?

Bottom line is - why bother attempting any kind of mature and thoughtful discourse when the thread is so quickly bogged down. XXXX

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Don't take any of it seriously and enjoy yourself.

Many political forums are I've seen are Liberal and populated with Liberals but they keep a few extreme Conservatives to bat around like cats playing with a mouse. Moderates or too many Conservatives are pushed out by either moderation or, more often, group shunning.
Let's be fair and balanced. Likely it is that neither of us have sampled a sufficient number of forums to determine that what you say here is evidence that liberals are prevalent in running forums as you described.

While there may be more liberal leaning than conservative leaning forums, the bell shaped curves that apply to both the forums samples and the poster samples within them could be logically expected to indicate similar results for both sides with a slight skew in favor of the liberals due to their propensity to resort to cattiness and cutely worded lies to gain admiration from their adolescent followers...followed by several "amen" posts from those that did not have enough wit to come out with the "cool" post but still want to jump on the band wagon and inflate their egotism.

However, you assessment is bolstered by the tendency of liberals to insist on having the last word and claiming a false victory in noting that the conservative foe simply abandoned the thread in search of a less futile debate.

I contend that there are two major contributions to this behavior: anonymity and lack of qualifiers regarding age and IQ. Any moron poster among us can fuck up a lot of threads in one day...as evidenced by one that appears to have left the forum after some 40,000 + posts.

The anonymity factor should obvious to us all because we simply do not act in the real world as we do here. The lack of qualifiers is a result the forum administration not wanting to discriminate except in the minimum age requirement. Regarding that one I do not understand how it can be guaranteed without photo ID or submission of certified birth certificates...then away goes the anonymity. We're screwed. :lol:

There could be a Formal Debate forum with rules to be followed by the two opposing posters only, for a set number of alternating posts followed with judging by members familiar with the rules and purpose of logical debate. (A good debater can take either side...and win.) ...but such a forum would be peculiar to the basic tenets of a message board and would require considerable moderator efforts. Again, we're screwed. :lol:

I'm lovin' this idea, whether practical or not.

We already have such a forum......

Sent from my Nexus 7

Let's be fair and balanced. Likely it is that neither of us have sampled a sufficient number of forums to determine that what you say here is evidence that liberals are prevalent in running forums as you described.

While there may be more liberal leaning than conservative leaning forums, the bell shaped curves that apply to both the forums samples and the poster samples within them could be logically expected to indicate similar results for both sides with a slight skew in favor of the liberals due to their propensity to resort to cattiness and cutely worded lies to gain admiration from their adolescent followers...followed by several "amen" posts from those that did not have enough wit to come out with the "cool" post but still want to jump on the band wagon and inflate their egotism.

However, you assessment is bolstered by the tendency of liberals to insist on having the last word and claiming a false victory in noting that the conservative foe simply abandoned the thread in search of a less futile debate.

I contend that there are two major contributions to this behavior: anonymity and lack of qualifiers regarding age and IQ. Any moron poster among us can fuck up a lot of threads in one day...as evidenced by one that appears to have left the forum after some 40,000 + posts.

The anonymity factor should obvious to us all because we simply do not act in the real world as we do here. The lack of qualifiers is a result the forum administration not wanting to discriminate except in the minimum age requirement. Regarding that one I do not understand how it can be guaranteed without photo ID or submission of certified birth certificates...then away goes the anonymity. We're screwed. :lol:

I'm lovin' this idea, whether practical or not.

We already have such a forum......

Sent from my Nexus 7

Which one?

I can understand that.
The GZ trial is a prime example of people Cheering for their side despite all evidence.

And you cant have a rational discussion with people who think free shit is the answer to our countries problems.

agreed----it makes you wonder what's worse--racism or hyper partisanship.

They go hand in hand with a certain party......

A few more prime examples.
Failed cities,and who ran them.
Gun control and crime statistics.

Your posts fall right in line with what the OP was talking about. Thanks.

I totally agree. Civil discourse is not about being a cheer-leader or propaganda machine for either side, it contributes to opening doors and windows so either side can experience the humanity of everyone involved, it's like adding color to a black and white for more contrast and a better perspective. What comparison is the source of a truth or valid perspective, when compared or weighed by the relevance of the message? When something is discredited, should the reason be who made the claim, or maybe the message could stand or fall on it's own merit? I'd like to see that more commonly.
To read these boards the unsuspecting could easily conclude that Conservatism is void of charity, empathy, and generosity. One could easily conclude that the Left is at war with private property and individual liberty, individual justice, when either appear at odds with the will or interest of the collective. I personally do not believe this to be the case when dealing with individuals as individuals.

There are just too many threads in 'Politics,' and they are often repetitive. Having been on this board for years now, I could easily simply refer to prior posts 95% of the time. Often I do. Another minor complaint is many of the threads should be placed in a new section titled, 'Repeated Whines repeated again' or some similarly named section. There could be a section named, 'Personal whines of the moment, please excuse the similarity to personal whines of a past moment.' That could be the place for most of these threads. Or a 'Random Comments' section, find yours here. :lol: I've suggested that a poster only be allowed one thread per week or longer. Would that help?

"Nothing matters but the writing. There has been nothing else worthwhile... a stain upon the silence." Samuel Beckett - I wonder what Sam would have thought about writing in today's verbose world?

;) :) What I find is some posters imitating the Headline Page of some of the Popular political sites, both left and right. They bombard the Forums Daily starting new OP's on the headline flavors of the day, everyday. I don't like the Site being used as an extension, like that.People lose the ability to defend a position with their own thoughts or words. One can search through pages looking for a single original thought. ;)

I think it's worth noting that we're all here for our own benefit, not someone else's. It doesn't matter what someone else say's or does, it only matters what you say and do. And when someone goes off on one of your posts, it's more about them, than it is about you. It's there perception (or reaction), which may (or may not) have anything to do with the point you were making. So for me, I just make the point and let the chips fall where they may.

If someone wants to have a respectful, intelligent debate, I'll reciprocate. But if they wanna play the asshole game, then I'll show them I'm a lot better at it than most. I know that's not really the best way to handle the "dicks of the forum", but it's a personal fault of mine, that I have to be constantly aware of. I seem to enjoy confrontation a little too much. But I'm working on it.

Now, get your ass back to the politics forum, we're running out of victims!

Well put for a Lefty. :D :) ;) The reason why we incorporated 4 different posting zones was to better accommodate individual posting styles. Not everyone is into confrontation, or confrontation all of the time. The Coffee Shop, the Tavern, the Hobby Forums reflect that. Hi-Jacking threads, derailing them, threads going on repeatedly for 50 to 100 pages of Yes you did, No I didn't, are pretty much ended (Thank God). Make your point, defend it, and move on, is the best philosophy on any board. You start digging in, you end up offending everybody and anybody you never had intention to. Save the heavy battle for the Flame Zone and Badlads, which are the most open forums on the site. Too many posters give them a bad rap.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back