I Am Done With the Politics Forum

This board operates much like governments do in real life.

No matter how effective the rules, if the players have no honor, the board/government will have no honor.

You want to clean up this mess?

Make people post behind their REAL NAMES.

That will not elimiate the rancor, but at least it will eliminate the cowardly trolls.

Last edited:

No matter how effective the rules, if the players have no honor, the board/government will have no honor.

Totally agree.

Reality takes all the fun out of it.

That will not elimiate the rancor, but at least it will eliminate the cowardly trolls.

I'm not sure that would do it. Some have no honor, even when using their real names and some trolls think it's an honor for everyone to know they are trolls.

Good idea in theory, but there are people of a certain persuasion who would try to use this information for political purposes. Care to take a guess who that might be?

as much as I may agree in theory I would be the first to abort.

There is no way I would post with my real full name in view. I recently told the wall street journal that I wanted them to pull my full name from their 'community comment' section, a place in the op-ed section where you can post to the comments sections of if you have at least registered on WSJ .... I got 2 pings via a professional network site, using cleverly couched hostile language from folks who had very obviously ( but not obvious enough to file legal action) tracked me down by process of elimination and an hour or so at their computer using my name.......( another reason why I am not on/in facebroke or any of the other social media mechanisms that require your name in view)

If your name is not john smith or bob jones etc. and theres a determined poster who has your full name, there is a better than average chance they can 'find' you.....no thx.

as much as I may agree in theory I would be the first to abort.

There is no way I would post with my real full name in view. I recently told the wall street journal that I wanted them to pull my full name from their 'community comment' section, a place in the op-ed section where you can post to the comments sections of if you have at least registered on WSJ .... I got 2 pings via a professional network site, using cleverly couched hostile language from folks who had very obviously ( but not obvious enough to file legal action) tracked me down by process of elimination and an hour or so at their computer using my name.......( another reason why I am not on/in facebroke or any of the other social media mechanisms that require your name in view)

If your name is not john smith or bob jones etc. and theres a determined poster who has your full name, there is a better than average chance they can 'find' you.....no thx.

This. I have no problem putting my name out there with what I post. I have a serious problem with any crazy that walks along being able to track me down.

The internet is wide open to the world. You wouldn’t put your address on the side of your car; why would you put your name on a public website.

You could set an example by posting your real name, and address. Alternatively, you can continue to hide behind your screen name and accuse others of dishonesty for not wanting everyone to know who they are.

You could set an example by posting your real name, and address. Alternatively, you can continue to hide behind your screen name and accuse others of dishonesty for not wanting everyone to know who they are.
That's against the rules. Besides, you would be attacked by rabid trolls at home.

That's against the rules. Besides, you would be attacked by rabid trolls at home.

It is against the rules for him to post his name and address? Why do I doubt that?

It is against the rules for him to post his name and address? Why do I doubt that?

we 'frown upon it'.....;)

Has anyone else noticed the increasing idiocy of those posts? I can barely remember the days when there was intelligent, principled liberal-conservative debate. Now it is little more than cheer leading for whichever team one identifies with, regardless of facts, logic or civil discourse. I fear this is representative of the country as a whole, with each side seeking to manipulate the brainless masses. History does not suggest a good outcome...

I say we have a good old fashion civil war and settle this mess once and for all

My name is Barack Q. Obama. I live at 1601 Pennsylvania Ave., Washington, D.C.

That's not your middle initial! And, there is no home across from 1600 Penn Ave.

Quit fibbing, Amelia.

Personally I avoid the politics forum in favor of subject fora. The large number of posters makes it difficult to follow threads. People also feel freer to express opinions that they think are anonymous. The social restraints of real life don't exist on boards.

In my mind, I visualize some posters as being thirteen year old males driving a pickup truck at 120 mph over a dirt washboard road with a beer in hand, loaded deer rifle safety off aimed at the back of their head in the gun rack, a Jessica Simpson look-alike giving them a blow job, praying to their god that they go off at the same time as the rifle. It seems to catch the flavor of their posting behavior.
I understand your complaint but the problem is manageable. It's a simple matter of separating the wheat from the chaff.

The exceptionally high level of participants in this forum enables the elimination of annoying and gratuitously offensive time-wasters while retaining an adequate number of serious, intelligent participants. My Ignore list presently contains fifty-two names, which leaves plenty of intelligent, sane participants who are capable of serious, adult discussion.

Forum List

Back