I am changing my philosophies on meat.

Hey.......you can get Kosher ground beef.

What you do with it (cheeseburgers) is up to you........

But, for real, Kosher meat is slaughtered in a very specific manner which reduces bad things to almost nil.

We purchase a cow every year from my wife's cousin and have it slaughtered, and processed at a local butcher shop where we live. It lasts us for nearly a whole year (depending on the amount of dinner guests). All of it is very good we've done this for about 15 years and never got a bad one yet. We don't eat the organs like heart, liver, tongue, etc. We generally give that to another one of the wife's cousins. I can't imagine waiting until a cow died of old age or some disease before I ate it. I don't think that's a very wise thing to do. I think you are being a bit on the fickle side myself. It could be you are in the early stages of going insane. For this condition I recommend eating large amounts of beef, pork and chicken. This way, just in case you do go insane, at least you won't arrive there hungry.

We purchase a cow every year from my wife's cousin and have it slaughtered, and processed at a local butcher shop where we live. It lasts us for nearly a whole year (depending on the amount of dinner guests). All of it is very good we've done this for about 15 years and never got a bad one yet. We don't eat the organs like heart, liver, tongue, etc. We generally give that to another one of the wife's cousins. I can't imagine waiting until a cow died of old age or some disease before I ate it. I don't think that's a very wise thing to do. I think you are being a bit on the fickle side myself. It could be you are in the early stages of going insane. For this condition I recommend eating large amounts of beef, pork and chicken. This way, just in case you do go insane, at least you won't arrive there hungry.

Lived the same way myself up in Montana when I was younger. Didn't know what store bought meat was until I was 12.

You don't have to worry if you eat Kosher meat!
Not if you eat at the kosher restaurant my friend lives above. Their store room is overrun with rats. He reported then to the city and now he's written to the rabbi who certifies kosher restaurants.

A lot of self centered morons posted in this thread.
You'd think they might at least be concerned with their own health even if they care nothing about anything else.

My understanding was that that movie's representation was somewhat... more dramatic than accurate?

I prefer to buy food that has been killed by (ideally) nitrogen or (failing that) using a captive bolt prior to cutting the throat, as I abhor needless cruelty and suffering.

Do kosher meat plants use a captive bolt?
Halal food and animal welfare

The ritual method of slaughter as practiced in Islam and Judaism has been decried as inhumane by animal welfare organisations in the UK who have stated that it "causes severe suffering to animals."[11][12]
However, in 1978, a study incorporating EEG (electroencephalograph) with electrodes surgically implanted on the skull of 17 sheep and 15 calves, and conducted by Wilhelm Schulze et al. at the University of Veterinary Medicine in Germany concluded that "the slaughter in the form of a ritual cut is, if carried out properly, painless in sheep and calves according to EEG recordings and the missing defensive actions" (of the animals) and that "For sheep, there were in part severe reactions both in bloodletting cut and the pain stimuli" when Captive Bolt Stunning (CBS) was used.[13] This study is cited by the German Constitutional Court in its permitting of dhabiha slaughtering.[14]
In 2003, an independent advisory group - the Farm Animal Welfare Council (FAWC) - concluded that the way halal and Kosher meat is produced causes severe suffering to animals and should be banned immediately. FAWC argued that cattle required up to two minutes to bleed to death when such means are employed. The Chairperson of FAWC at the time, Judy MacArthur Clark, added, "this is a major incision into the animal and to say that it doesn't suffer is quite ridiculous."
Halal and kosher butchers deny their method of killing animals is cruel and expressed anger over the FAWC recommendation [12].
Majid Katme of the Muslim Council of Britain also disagreed, stating that "it's a sudden and quick haemorrhage. A quick loss of blood pressure and the brain is instantaneously starved of blood and there is no time to start feeling any pain."[12]
In April 2008, the Food and Farming minister in the UK, Lord Rooker, stated that Halal and kosher meat should be labelled when it is put on sale, so that the public can decide whether or not they want to buy food from animals that have bled to death. He was quoted as saying, "I object to the method of slaughter ... my choice as a customer is that I would want to buy meat that has been looked after and slaughtered in the most humane way possible.". The RSPCA supported Lord Rooker's views. [15]
For the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and the Humane Society International, "the animals that are slaughtered according to Kosher and Halal should be securely restrained, particularly the head and neck, before cutting the throat" as "movements (during slaughter) results in a poor cut, bad bleeding, slow loss of consciousness if at all and pain." [16]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halal#cite_note-15
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halal

If God didn't want us to eat meat he wouldn't have made animals lower than us on the food chain and He wouldn't have had us discover fire. And He certainly wouldn't have let the Weber grill be invented.

College kid is coming home this weekend; Delmonico steaks all around!

Lower than us on the food chain?

The food chain is not a hierarchy.

We are eaten by even the smallest of things.

If God didn't want us to eat meat he wouldn't have made animals lower than us on the food chain and He wouldn't have had us discover fire. And He certainly wouldn't have let the Weber grill be invented.

So if a man eating tiger eats you God's will is done?

:eusa_naughty:You know they don't think these things out...

be nice to them

No, if you pass up a really good sale on Delmonico steaks because yer squeemish about meat, the loss is yours. Meat is tasty, tasty eats.

Forum List

Back