Hypothetical: A Repeat of the 1860 Presidential Election?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
There were FOUR major party candidates in that election: Republican-Lincoln; North Democrat-Douglas; South Democrat-Breckenridge; and Constitutional Union/Whig-Bell. Although all four did not appear on any single State's ballot. Lincoln was elected with 39% of the popular vote and a majority of the electoral votes.

What if the same thing happened in 2016? I could envision Trump as an upstart leader of a new populist party, with Hillary and Bernie splitting the Democratic party and Kasich representing the old GOP. Wouldn't that be fun?

How do you think that might shake out? Who would win the most electoral votes? Would it be enough to win the election, or would it go to the House? Who would the House elect? Feel free to let your mind wander and share your thoughts...

Do you know how the electoral college electors were/are/would be awarded? In a general election with that scenario, Trump would not have a plurality.

The end

U. S. Electoral College: Who Are the Electors? How Do They Vote?

Yes, I know how electors are awarded and no, I was not suggesting that Trump would have a plurality (of votes?). I was hoping that someone with a little less latent hostility might be able to contribute some analysis of projected voting patterns to this hypothetical scenario.

Do you know how the electoral college electors were/are/would be awarded? In a general election with that scenario, Trump would not have a plurality.

The end

Yes, I know how electors are awarded and no, I was not suggesting that Trump would have a plurality (of votes?). I was hoping that someone with a little less latent hostility might be able to contribute some analysis of projected voting patterns to this hypothetical scenario.
Hypothetically speaking, you could be full of shit. If you had asked, I could more than contribute.

calling your bluff, or is it bluster?

The end

Hypothetically speaking, you could be full of shit. If you had asked, I could more than contribute.

calling your bluff, or is it bluster?

WARNING: IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO DEAL WITH HYPOTHETICALS, PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS THREAD. OTHERWISE,, IRREVERSIBLE BRAIN ATROPHY MAY OCCUR.

There were FOUR major party candidates in that election: Republican-Lincoln; North Democrat-Douglas; South Democrat-Breckenridge; and Constitutional Union/Whig-Bell. Although all four did not appear on any single State's ballot. Lincoln was elected with 39% of the popular vote and a majority of the electoral votes.

What if the same thing happened in 2016? I could envision Trump as an upstart leader of a new populist party, with Hillary and Bernie splitting the Democratic party and Kasich representing the old GOP. Wouldn't that be fun?

How do you think that might shake out? Who would win the most electoral votes? Would it be enough to win the election, or would it go to the House? Who would the House elect? Feel free to let your mind wander and share your thoughts...
One variable you left out, the voters then were all of the cracka variety, now not so much and they don't like trump

Forum List

Back