CDZ Hypersonic weapons...are we behind? does it matter?

Read an article today saying Russia and China are ahead of us in the hypersonic weapons deployment race.
New Russian weapon can travel 27 times the speed of sound
(Link generally works from data sharers like Chrome but not Firefox)
Do these weapons have any meaningful advantage? Are they phalanx proof? Or that much more difficult to intercept?
Have a happy holiday season.
Claims as these have limited meaning to me. 27X the speed of sound? Where? Sea level? 85,000 feet up? That matters.
And BTW, assuming that is sea level (18,000 mph), we already have stuff that goes faster than that (missiles), to the tune of 25,000 mph.
Any jet going mach 1.1 is a hypersonic weapon.

Besides, Barack already told us in 2012 that Russia isn't close to being any geopolitical threat to us.

Are we behind? Dude we got shit the public would pass out from if they knew we had the tech. we have. What they tell you they have or will have WAKE UP they have had this 20 yrs already.

Read an article today saying Russia and China are ahead of us in the hypersonic weapons deployment race.

Do these weapons have any meaningful advantage? Are they phalanx proof? Or that much more difficult to intercept?

This is just a maneuverable reentry vehicle, something the major powers have had for decades. Nothing to see here. Is it even powered? Anything that rides on a ballistic missile is hypersonic when it reenters the atmosphere. Hypersonic is very, very slow compared to the laser weapons we're working on so I suspect this was for Russian, domestic consumption.

hyper sonic weapons will disintegrate if struck by a BB round. higher closing speeds are very dangerous both ways

I don't know where they came up with mach 27. China and Russia have both tested hypersonic missiles that flew at around mach 6 to mach 8. We have ICBM interceptors that fly that fast but they are not designed to intercept smaller more maneuverable hypersonic missiles.

In an attack on ships they would most likely be used in a "swarm" attack rendering Phalanxes ineffective.

And, from what little I've read on the subject so far, these hypersonic weapons are anti-ship, with a fairly limited in-theater range.

Yes, I suspect we're "behind", and yes, we need to pay good attention in this area, but it doesn't sound like the sky is falling just yet.

When the Chinese and Russians claim things about weapon systems, I put my bullshit meter on. They claim alot of things, but most of the time the weapons are barely in development, and are often plagued with issues.

The US has the better habit of keeping their development of things like this quiet and only revealing them when they use them the first time.

Hmm....., I remember when China couldn’t launch a rocket off the ground. That was until Bill Clinton cleared the way by giving them the technology... Remember China-Gate and nobody went to jail for that either.
Then again. I wouldn't put it passed Joey Xi to have given the Chinese our Hypersonic missile technology just as Clinton sold out in the 1990's.

**********​
**********​
**********​

Forum List

Back