Huge Fire Erupts at Scranton Army Ammunition Plant, the U.S.’s Primary Producer of 155mm Artillery Shell Bodies

skye

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2012
A huge fire erupted at the Scranton Army Ammunition Plant in Scranton, Pennsylvania, according to initial reports.

The blaze at this crucial facility, responsible for producing the metal bodies of the U.S. Army’s 155 mm artillery shells, prompted an immediate response from local fire fighting units.

It is a HUGE producer of 155mm artillery shells!

1713235720924.png

More information.

The Scranton Army Ammunition Plant(SCAAP) is a United States Army Joint Munitions Command (JMC) facility that manufactures large-caliber metal projectiles and mortar projectile. It is operated by General Dynamics-Ordnance and Tactical Systems (GD-OTS). It currently produces:

• 155mm and 105mm artillery projectiles
  • the 105mm PGU-45/B High Fragmentation (HF) Cartridges
  • 120mm Mortar (M120/M121) Projectiles
  • M931 Full Range Training Cartridges (FRTC)
  • M933 and M934 High Explosive (HE)
  • M930 and M983 Illumination
  • M929 White Phosphorus (WP) Smoke
  • 5″/54 (5 inch) Naval Gun Projectile.
  • 8 inch (203mm) and 175mm artillery
It is not currently clear if there is a structure fire, but emergency services are on scene.

This is one of only 7 production arsenals that produce military munitions for the United States military. There are a total of 17 JMC facilities in the U.S

That must have been the result of Biden's "unprecedented job growth" the left keeps babbling about. Most companies I've seen are hiring some genuine fucking idiots these days. Probably a diversity hire.

I was gonna go with "sabotage", but Occam's Razor.

That must have been Biden's "unprecedented job growth" the left keeps babbling about. Most companies I've seen are hiring some genuine fucking idiots these days.

Bet you thought I was going to say it was "sabotage", right?

whatever it was, it is no good news! :dunno:

Oh well, I guess. Those artillery bodies probably weren't being made for domestic use anyway. They were probably going to end up in Ukraine, leaving us short.

I really don't know!

I'm thinking more.....on the lines ....of domestic use?

But that's just an opinion! :dunno:

I don't know if I'm right or not , but I read that's the only factory in all the US that produces 155ml artillery shells!

Anybody knows?

I don't know if I'm right or not , but I read that's the only factory in all the US that produces 155ml artillery shells!

Anybody knows?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to throw a hood over your head and throw you in a black van. :smoke:

Anybody knows?
I know better than that. There's others. At least there were last I knew..

Even from the OP:

"This is one of only 7 production arsenals that produce military munitions for the United States military. There are a total of 17 JMC facilities in the U.S"

That plant had recently had a $243 million upgrade to increase production.

It supplies the US, France, Norway and Germany.

But it's OK. We have massive stockpiles of those 155mm mortar shells. Or at least we did before Biden gave over a million of them to Ukraine.

Forum List

Back