HuffPost slammed for racy Steve Bannon headline

Appears this is an insensitive and racist post by some. I've never heard of the term before to be honest. I want to also say, considering the staunch support Conservatives, the religious right and Republicans in general have for Israel compared to the efforts of some in the alt-left, this is particular offensive and misguided. Though I must admit, seeing the history of the left division politics; not surprising.

Some like to fan the flames of hate and point at others for the blame.

The liberal Huffington Post website was pressured to change a derogatory homepage headline about the exit of White House strategist Steve Bannon after a social media backlash on Friday.

Powered By
View image on Twitter
DHhyNNDWAAILWPr.jpg:small

Follow
Lydia Polgreen

✔@lpolgreen

GOY, BYE!

1:13 PM - Aug 18, 2017
Twitter Ads info and privacy

The word “goy” is used to describe someone who is not Jewish.

Bannon has long faced accusations of anti-Semitism from some of his fiercest critics -- accusations he denies. He was often portrayed in the press as clashing with top White House aides, including the president’s daughter and son-in-law, who are Jewish.

Even some left-wing figures took issue with The Huffington Post's headline swipe.

“Say, @HuffPost, WTF?” tweeted former MSNBC anchor Keith Olbermann.

View image on Twitter
DHh7uIvUIAAD51q.jpg

Follow
Keith Olbermann

✔@KeithOlbermann

Say, @HuffPost, WTF?

1:55 PM - Aug 18, 2017

Others expressed shock at a website that often calls out others for political-incorrectness.

“I love your work, but wish you hadn't gone with this headline,” tweeted Julia Ioffe, a writer at The Atlantic.

3h
Lydia Polgreen

✔@lpolgreen

GOY, BYE! pic.twitter.com/yYlxh1jkJw

Follow
Julia Ioffe

✔@juliaioffe

I love your work, but wish you hadn't gone with this headline.

2:26 PM - Aug 18, 2017

“What is @HuffPost thinking?” tweeted Michael Wilner, a Washington correspondent for the Jerusalem Post.

Follow
Michael Wilner

✔@mawilner

"'Goy, bye?'" What is @HuffPost thinking?

1:54 PM - Aug 18, 2017

Responding to the criticism, Lydia Polgreen, the site’s editor in chief, defended the outlet, saying its headlines are intended to be “edgy and playful.”

She said the headline was meant to be a “tribute to Yiddish and Beyoncé” (a Beyoncé song features the line, "boy, bye") and any “other interpretation was completely unintended.”

Follow
Lydia Polgreen

✔@lpolgreen

HuffPost splash headlines have always been edgy and playful, featuring puns and references to popular culture./

3:15 PM - Aug 18, 2017

1h
Lydia Polgreen

✔@lpolgreen

HuffPost splash headlines have always been edgy and playful, featuring puns and references to popular culture./

Follow
Lydia Polgreen

✔@lpolgreen

Today’s splash was intended to be a mashup tribute to Yiddish and Beyoncé. Any other interpretation was completely unintended.

The website then changed its Bannon headline to “White Flight.”

Follow
Ian Miles Cheong

✔@stillgray

I'm not sure this is much better, Huffington Post.

3:11 PM - Aug 18, 2017

That wasn’t received well online either.

“I would say @HuffPost's new Bannon headline ('White Flight') in exactly the same bad taste as the one it replaces ('Goy, Bye'),” tweeted Eugene Kontorovich, a professor at Northwestern law school.

Follow
Eugene Kontorovich @EVKontorovich

I would say @HuffPost's new Bannon headline ("White Flight") in exactly the same bad taste as the one it replaces ("Goy, Bye").

Stuff Your Muff With Fluff, Huff

If the owner of this blind site had huffed and puffed more, her husband wouldn't have turned into a cock holster.

"Scuttlebut" I've got on "goy" says that it's derogatory when it is, and neutral when it's not derogatory. How is one to tell? Tone of voice if the term is spoken. Other written and situational content that accompanies the term, using good judgment to weigh multiple variables of those two dimensions, if the term is written. I'm told too that when one Jew uses the term with regard to another Jew, it's not a nice thing to say.

It's a term that because of the ambiguity of interpreting it -- at least the risk of ambiguity I'd face were I to use it -- I wouldn't use it. I think publications that may have a large a Yiddish-unaware readership should probably also eschew that word. I'd say the same of any word that has various meanings and applications in a given subculture.

My objective take is that HuffPo should not have used that term. Insofar as I don't much care for Steve Bannon, my subjective take is that it doesn't in least bother me that they did and that with any luck they did mean it derogatorily.

Appears this is an insensitive and racist post by some. I've never heard of the term before to be honest. I want to also say, considering the staunch support Conservatives, the religious right and Republicans in general have for Israel compared to the efforts of some in the alt-left, this is particular offensive and misguided. Though I must admit, seeing the history of the left division politics; not surprising.

Some like to fan the flames of hate and point at others for the blame.

The liberal Huffington Post website was pressured to change a derogatory homepage headline about the exit of White House strategist Steve Bannon after a social media backlash on Friday.

Powered By
View image on Twitter
DHhyNNDWAAILWPr.jpg:small

Follow
Lydia Polgreen

✔@lpolgreen

GOY, BYE!

1:13 PM - Aug 18, 2017

The word “goy” is used to describe someone who is not Jewish.

Bannon has long faced accusations of anti-Semitism from some of his fiercest critics -- accusations he denies. He was often portrayed in the press as clashing with top White House aides, including the president’s daughter and son-in-law, who are Jewish.

Even some left-wing figures took issue with The Huffington Post's headline swipe.

“Say, @HuffPost, WTF?” tweeted former MSNBC anchor Keith Olbermann.

View image on Twitter
DHh7uIvUIAAD51q.jpg

Follow
Keith Olbermann

✔@KeithOlbermann

Say, @HuffPost, WTF?

1:55 PM - Aug 18, 2017

Others expressed shock at a website that often calls out others for political-incorrectness.

“I love your work, but wish you hadn't gone with this headline,” tweeted Julia Ioffe, a writer at The Atlantic.

3h
Lydia Polgreen

✔@lpolgreen

GOY, BYE! pic.twitter.com/yYlxh1jkJw

Follow
Julia Ioffe

✔@juliaioffe

I love your work, but wish you hadn't gone with this headline.

2:26 PM - Aug 18, 2017

“What is @HuffPost thinking?” tweeted Michael Wilner, a Washington correspondent for the Jerusalem Post.

Follow
Michael Wilner

✔@mawilner

"'Goy, bye?'" What is @HuffPost thinking?

1:54 PM - Aug 18, 2017

Responding to the criticism, Lydia Polgreen, the site’s editor in chief, defended the outlet, saying its headlines are intended to be “edgy and playful.”

She said the headline was meant to be a “tribute to Yiddish and Beyoncé” (a Beyoncé song features the line, "boy, bye") and any “other interpretation was completely unintended.”

Follow
Lydia Polgreen

✔@lpolgreen

1h
Lydia Polgreen

✔@lpolgreen

Follow
Lydia Polgreen

✔@lpolgreen

Today’s splash was intended to be a mashup tribute to Yiddish and Beyoncé. Any other interpretation was completely unintended.

The website then changed its Bannon headline to “White Flight.”

Follow
Ian Miles Cheong

✔@stillgray

I'm not sure this is much better, Huffington Post.

3:11 PM - Aug 18, 2017

That wasn’t received well online either.

“I would say @HuffPost's new Bannon headline ('White Flight') in exactly the same bad taste as the one it replaces ('Goy, Bye'),” tweeted Eugene Kontorovich, a professor at Northwestern law school.

Follow
Eugene Kontorovich @EVKontorovich

I would say @HuffPost's new Bannon headline ("White Flight") in exactly the same bad taste as the one it replaces ("Goy, Bye").
What's racy about it? He's got his clothes on (thank the gods).

Why is this bad taste? Bannon is the hero of a fundamentally anti-semitic movement, and "boy, bye" is a term from pop culture that's popular right now. "Goy, bye," is clever as hell.

That you felt a need to lie about that, shows that your conclusion is a lie.

It was in bad taste.

"Scuttlebut" I've got on "goy" says that it's derogatory when it is, and neutral when it's not derogatory.
So, no different (save for the asterisks) than "******" or "****"?

LOL How would I know? LOL
"******" is how USMB spells the word that starts with "n" and rhymes with "chigger"; "****" starts with "k" and rhymes with "bike". But the asterisks made my point that there is a double standard as per your post that a word is derogatory only when it is used derogatorily.

"Scuttlebut" I've got on "goy" says that it's derogatory when it is, and neutral when it's not derogatory.
So, no different (save for the asterisks) than "******" or "****"?

LOL How would I know? LOL
"******" is how USMB spells the word that starts with "n" and rhymes with "chigger"; "****" starts with "k" and rhymes with "bike". But the asterisks made my point that there is a double standard as per your post that a word is derogatory only when it is used derogatorily.

I have to be honest. I've always operated from the standpoint that the two terms to which you've referred are ever anything but derogatory. Even black folks, I think, would assert that the "N-word" spelling/pronunciation you've indicated is always derogatory and offensive. I have never with a Jew had a discussion about the "K-word." Unlike variants of the "N-word" when used by blacks in reference to other blacks, I've never heard or heard of Jews using that word; thus I have no basis for thinking it anything other than universally offensive.

I have one black friend whom I've known very well for over half my life, and it's possible our relationship is such that I could get away with some inflections of the "N-word." I maybe can; maybe cannot. It's really irrelevant to me which of those outcomes be the case. I know only that I have neither the need nor desire nor presumptuousness to thus test our relationship. I just can't see doing so as being a good thing for either of us, and it's certainly not a risk I care to take.

Why anyone feels moved to push the limits of their relationships -- weak, strong or somewhere in between -- by using such loaded language is beyond me. Sometimes one may have liberties that one just as well refrain from exercising. And let's be honest, that is after all, the thematic heart of the saying about not opening one's mouth and confirming for all that one is a fool. Concept applies in more than purely intellectual and academic ways.

I've never heard or heard of Jews using that word; thus I have no basis for thinking it anything other than universally offensive.
Have you ever heard a Euromerican using the word "goy" with another Euromerican?
No.

People in my circle rarely use vulgarities and/or impolitic language. "Sh*t" and maybe an occasional "f-word" is about it. Personal effrontery is all but unheard of.

Even black folks, I think, would assert that the "N-word" spelling/pronunciation you've indicated is always derogatory and offensive. I have never with a Jew had a discussion about the "K-word." Unlike variants of the "N-word" when used by blacks in reference to other blacks, I've never heard or heard of Jews using that word; thus I have no basis for thinking it anything other than universally offensive.
So then why is "goy" ok?

Even black folks, I think, would assert that the "N-word" spelling/pronunciation you've indicated is always derogatory and offensive. I have never with a Jew had a discussion about the "K-word." Unlike variants of the "N-word" when used by blacks in reference to other blacks, I've never heard or heard of Jews using that word; thus I have no basis for thinking it anything other than universally offensive.
So then why is "goy" ok?
You tell me....I didn't say it was.
My objective take is that HuffPo should not have used that term. Insofar as I don't much care for Steve Bannon, my subjective take is that it doesn't in [the] least bother me that they did and that with any luck they did mean it derogatorily.
I think "HuffPo should not have used that term." What part of that statement makes you think that I think it's okay for HuffPo to have used that word? Even though I think Bannon deserves their derision, I think too that if they are going to deride him, they should do so using words that are suitable for "polite company." Insofar as they didn't use such language, however, I'm willing to be indifferent about the HuffPo's diction, but as you well know, indifference (not bothered, neutrality) and approbation are not at all the same things.

I've never heard or heard of Jews using that word; thus I have no basis for thinking it anything other than universally offensive.
Have you ever heard a Euromerican using the word "goy" with another Euromerican?
No.

People in my circle rarely use vulgarities and/or impolitic language. "Sh*t" and maybe an occasional "f-word" is about it. Personal effrontery is all but unheard of.
Yet that was the argument you used to claim the unacceptability of n*gger and k*ke. But "goy" on the other hand is just playful. Do you admit the double standard?

No.

Yet that was the argument you used to claim the unacceptability of n*gger and k*ke. But "goy" on the other hand is just playful. Do you admit the double standard?
No! I don't think one should use any of them.

Oh, oh....Now I see why you are making the remarks you are. "Universally offensive" is what you've keyed on, and I understand why. I was unclear. That is my mistake.

What I meant is that based on having been told that the word "goy" can, depending on the user's intent, have neutral or negative meaning, and, I, not being Jewish, have no basis for construing that were I, Xelor, to use it, it and I would be neutrally interpreted/taken on any occasion (universally) in which I might be observed to have used it. Just as I think that were I to use the "N" or "K" words, I'd jeopardize my reputation and relationship(s) with others whose friendship/acquaintanceship I value, I think the same risk present were I to use "goy."

What I had in mind when I first wrote the "universal" post is how I would be construed upon using it, not whether the word in the abstract can in certain instances, and by certain speakers/writers, be "safely"/neutrally used. I do not find that there is good reason for me to use any of those words.

I see now that I definitely did not get my intended point across in my earlier post. Apologies for the confusion I cause in failing to do so. I do now understand why you perceived that I have a double standard.

You tell me....I didn't say it was.

Yes. That's the statement I made that I thought/hoped (?) you'd consider and make the "leap" from what I'd actually written to knowing what was in my head. Obviously, you could not have done that. I realize the mistake I made now. (See post 39.) Again, my bad.

Forum List

Back