How you know it is all just Kabuki theatre

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

WASHINGTON, May 26 (Reuters) - U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Friday set a deadline for raising the federal debt limit, saying the government would default if Congress does not increase the $31.4 trillion debt ceiling by June 5.

Yellen had previously said a default could potentially happen as early as June 1, but is now characterizing June 5 as the precise deadline.

"We now estimate that Treasury will have insufficient resources to satisfy the government’s obligations if Congress has not raised or suspended the debt limit by June 5," she wrote.

More time magically appeared for them to get a deal done and now they will not have to come back over the holiday weekend.

WASHINGTON, May 26 (Reuters) - U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Friday set a deadline for raising the federal debt limit, saying the government would default if Congress does not increase the $31.4 trillion debt ceiling by June 5.

Yellen had previously said a default could potentially happen as early as June 1, but is now characterizing June 5 as the precise deadline.

"We now estimate that Treasury will have insufficient resources to satisfy the government’s obligations if Congress has not raised or suspended the debt limit by June 5," she wrote.

More time magically appeared for them to get a deal done and now they will not have to come back over the holiday weekend.

In fairness to Yellen, though, this is hard to time with precision. Trying to predict how much tax revenue is going to come in and how much in payments are going to go out from day to day is really impossible. The Treasury's general account balance can have sudden drops.

Remember the x-date was at one point not supposed to arrive until August or even September.

If they default on the debt on June 5, that is a choice that they will make. They will be rejecting the option to redirect other spending into paying the interest on the debt.

Like a guy refusing to cancel his trip to Vegas and use the money to pay his monthly credit card payments.

Dammit. I was going to post this last night. Yellen and Biden are starting to crack, and are just stalling for more time.

blob

Dammit. I was going to post this last night. Yellen and Biden are starting to crack, and are just stalling for more time.

This is my favorite part of the whole thing. People like you attack Biden for refusing to negotiate and then you attack him for making a deal.

I appreciate how you do not even pretend not to be mindless partisan drone

In fairness to Yellen, though, this is hard to time with precision. Trying to predict how much tax revenue is going to come in and how much in payments are going to go out from day to day is really impossible. The Treasury's general account balance can have sudden drops.

Remember the x-date was at one point not supposed to arrive until August or even September.
Such a prediction wouldn’t be necessary, of course, if Republicans had any interest in responsible governance, rather than holding the country hostage like the domestic terrorist they are.

The two Party system has officially failed America.

If we default, I have a feeling you will not be alone in thinking this, and I could see major interest in a 3rd party.

Question is, would be a real grassroots "centrist" third party or a Trojan Horse to something else? Or would it open the door to a sub-270 EV count and having the House of Reps decide the election?

Have to agree with you on that. Yellen works for Biden. But, Republicans called Yellen out already for providing a false date so you are late to the game.

This is my favorite part of the whole thing. People like you attack Biden for refusing to negotiate and then you attack him for making a deal.

I appreciate how you do not even pretend not to be mindless partisan drone
Unfortunately mindless partisanship rules the day for both sides of the criminal duopoly.

Such a prediction wouldn’t be necessary, of course, if Republicans had any interest in responsible governance, rather than holding the country hostage like the domestic terrorist they are.

I would blame the GOP for a default, but I would not blame them for wanting to control spending. The problem I see with Republicans is they only want to talk about spending and never about raising capital gains taxes, raising estate (aka "death") taxes, or rolling back Trump tax cuts. Now that they control most media it's easier for them to confuse people about which way is up or down.

I'm not particularly optimistic about the future, of this country or of this planet for that matter. The human brain was built to conquer our pre-history world. The world we've created since then? Not so much.

Have to agree with you on that. Yellen works for Biden. But, Republicans called Yellen out already for providing a false date so you are late to the game.

The Repubs are part of the drama, it is all a game and people like you eat it up like it is real.

I have never understood how people are so blind to it

Obviously the time will change as the time grows shorter. It could change again by a few days one way or the other.

I receive early pay notifications the Saturday before ss and va disability and I had my VA in account this morning (early pay) for June 1.

Forum List

Back