Zone1 How we repair it: White Americans’ attitudes toward reparations

I don't believe the majority think they are racist, but they still have racist attitudes.

Again, I cite the study that showed that resumes with black names got 50% less callbacks than resumes with white names, even when education and experience were identical.

Do I think all those HR people were racists? Nope. But they did have a bias that "Greg" was a good worker while "Jamal" wasn't.
How many are rejected automatically by software and it's not even a human doing the rejecting?

To your point, I don't think people will disagree that attitudes and perceptions are still being fought. And we do have a long way to go to fight individualized racism. But each instance should not be a tearing off the band aid and restart of the healing process.

To be on topic, reparations isn't going to fix racism. If reparations were to be handed out, I don't believe the black community would agree to stop blaming systemic racism. 20 years post reparations, if the majority of the black community still find themselves in the same economic and cultural state, are they capable of blaming themselves, or once again, point their fingers back to the white man?

How many are rejected automatically by software and it's not even a human doing the rejecting?

None. The resumes in the study were identical in all but one respect, the names on the resume.

ATS Programs will deprioritize your resume if you have spelling errors or lack certain keywords, but only a human can reject them.

To your point, I don't think people will disagree that attitudes and perceptions are still being fought. And we do have a long way to go to fight individualized racism. But each instance should not be a tearing off the band aid and restart of the healing process.

We shouldn't do reparations because it will make the white bigots mad? That sounds like the best reason for them.

To be on topic, reparations isn't going to fix racism. If reparations were to be handed out, I don't believe the black community would agree to stop blaming systemic racism. 20 years post reparations, if the majority of the black community still find themselves in the same economic and cultural state, are they capable of blaming themselves, or once again, point their fingers back to the white man?
I don't think reparations are the answer.

We need stronger EEOC and DEI efforts, investment in communities, jobs programs, etc.

Don't try talking ---- son. I don't think you want to see that. For you will surely die. We will die before we go back or are denied what is rightfuly ours. When you are up against an opponent in a war that doesn't fear death, you cannot win. Reparations have been given to other groups in your lifetime.

1970: Richard Nixon signed into law House Resolution 471 restoring Blue Lake and surrounding area to the Taos Pueblo (New Mexico). The land had been taken by presidential order in 1906. (A History of the Indians in the United States by Angie Debo (Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press, 1984, p. 422); see also "Taos Pueblo celebrates 40th anniversary of Blue Lake's return" by Matthew van Buren, Santa Fe New Mexican, September 18, 2010.)

The payments from 1971-1988 are taken from the booklet Black Reparations Now! 40 Acres, $50 Dollars, and a Mule, + Interest by Dorothy Benton-Lewis; and borrowed from N’COBRA (National Coalition of Blacks for Reparations in America).

1971: Around $1 billion + 44 million acres of land: Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.

1974: A $10 million out-of-court settlement was reached between the U.S. government and Tuskegee victims, black men who had been unwitting subjects of a study of untreated syphilis, and who did not receive available treatments. (“The Tuskegee Timeline”, CDC, updated March 2, 2020.)

1980: $81 million: Klamaths of Oregon. ("Spending Spree" by Dylan Darling, Herald and News (Klamath Falls, OR), June 21, 2005.)

1980: $105 million: Sioux of South Dakota for seizure of their land. (United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians, 448 U.S. 371 (1980).)

1985: $12.3 million: Seminoles of Florida. (see Racial Justice in America: A Reference Handbook by David B. Mustard, 2002, ABC-CLIO, p. 81.)

1985: $31 million: Chippewas of Wisconsin. (see Racial Justice in America: A Reference Handbook by David B. Mustard, 2002, ABC-CLIO, p. 81.)

1986: $32 million per 1836 Treaty: Ottawas of Michigan. (see Racial Justice in America: A Reference Handbook by David B. Mustard, 2002, ABC-CLIO, p. 81.)

2016: The U.S. government reached a settlement of $492 million with 17 Native American tribes to resolve lawsuits alleging the federal government mismanaged tribal land, resources, and money. (“U.S. Government To Pay $492 Million To 17 American Indian Tribes” by Rebecca Hersher, NPR, September 27, 2016.)

2018: The Supreme Court, in a 4-4 deadlock, let stand a lower court's order to the state of Washington to make billions of dollars worth of repairs to roads, where the state had built culverts below road channels and structures in a way that prevented salmon from swimming through and reaching their spawning grounds, that had damaged the state’s salmon habitats and contributed to population loss. The case involved the Stevens Treaties, a series of agreements in 1854-55, in which tribes in Washington State gave up millions of acres of land in exchange for "the right to take fish." Implicit in the treaties, courts would later rule, was a guarantee that there would be enough fish for the tribes to harvest. Destroying the habitat reduces the population and thus violates these treaties. This decision directly affects the Swinomish Tribe. ("A Victory For A Tribe That’s Lost Its Salmon" by John Eligon, The New York Times, June 12, 2018.)

So the only reason anyone white would oppose reparations for blacks is due to your own personal racist hatred of blacks.
Then how about you get it over with already? Go try to steal your $300K with a gun. You can then die in a hail of gunfire or spend the rest of your life in prison.

Then how about you get it over with already? Go try to steal your $300K with a gun. You can then die in a hail of gunfire or spend the rest of your life in prison.
No, they won't spend the rest of their life in prison based on today's criminal justice system.

None. The resumes in the study were identical in all but one respect, the names on the resume.

ATS Programs will deprioritize your resume if you have spelling errors or lack certain keywords, but only a human can reject them.
Interesting. Thanks for the info
We shouldn't do reparations because it will make the white bigots mad? That sounds like the best reason for them.
??
I don't think reparations are the answer.

We need stronger EEOC and DEI efforts, investment in communities, jobs programs, etc.
Agreed. Giving cash is not the answer.

Don't try talking ---- son. I don't think you want to see that. For you will surely die. We will die before we go back or are denied what is rightfuly ours. When you are up against an opponent in a war that doesn't fear death, you cannot win. Reparations have been given to other groups in your lifetime.

1970: Richard Nixon signed into law House Resolution 471 restoring Blue Lake and surrounding area to the Taos Pueblo (New Mexico). The land had been taken by presidential order in 1906. (A History of the Indians in the United States by Angie Debo (Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press, 1984, p. 422); see also "Taos Pueblo celebrates 40th anniversary of Blue Lake's return" by Matthew van Buren, Santa Fe New Mexican, September 18, 2010.)

The payments from 1971-1988 are taken from the booklet Black Reparations Now! 40 Acres, $50 Dollars, and a Mule, + Interest by Dorothy Benton-Lewis; and borrowed from N’COBRA (National Coalition of Blacks for Reparations in America).

1971: Around $1 billion + 44 million acres of land: Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.

1974: A $10 million out-of-court settlement was reached between the U.S. government and Tuskegee victims, black men who had been unwitting subjects of a study of untreated syphilis, and who did not receive available treatments. (“The Tuskegee Timeline”, CDC, updated March 2, 2020.)

1980: $81 million: Klamaths of Oregon. ("Spending Spree" by Dylan Darling, Herald and News (Klamath Falls, OR), June 21, 2005.)

1980: $105 million: Sioux of South Dakota for seizure of their land. (United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians, 448 U.S. 371 (1980).)

1985: $12.3 million: Seminoles of Florida. (see Racial Justice in America: A Reference Handbook by David B. Mustard, 2002, ABC-CLIO, p. 81.)

1985: $31 million: Chippewas of Wisconsin. (see Racial Justice in America: A Reference Handbook by David B. Mustard, 2002, ABC-CLIO, p. 81.)

1986: $32 million per 1836 Treaty: Ottawas of Michigan. (see Racial Justice in America: A Reference Handbook by David B. Mustard, 2002, ABC-CLIO, p. 81.)

2016: The U.S. government reached a settlement of $492 million with 17 Native American tribes to resolve lawsuits alleging the federal government mismanaged tribal land, resources, and money. (“U.S. Government To Pay $492 Million To 17 American Indian Tribes” by Rebecca Hersher, NPR, September 27, 2016.)

2018: The Supreme Court, in a 4-4 deadlock, let stand a lower court's order to the state of Washington to make billions of dollars worth of repairs to roads, where the state had built culverts below road channels and structures in a way that prevented salmon from swimming through and reaching their spawning grounds, that had damaged the state’s salmon habitats and contributed to population loss. The case involved the Stevens Treaties, a series of agreements in 1854-55, in which tribes in Washington State gave up millions of acres of land in exchange for "the right to take fish." Implicit in the treaties, courts would later rule, was a guarantee that there would be enough fish for the tribes to harvest. Destroying the habitat reduces the population and thus violates these treaties. This decision directly affects the Swinomish Tribe. ("A Victory For A Tribe That’s Lost Its Salmon" by John Eligon, The New York Times, June 12, 2018.)

So the only reason anyone white would oppose reparations for blacks is due to your own personal racist hatred of blacks.
My money is not your right, bitch.
You want a cash grab, go after the people that enslaved you.
Ever think why you got enslaved?
Want to go there?

Did you ask any other group to do that?

No. So don't ask me to.

What reparations will do is create a huge economic stimulus. But many whites can't see that.
It is not far off to say that economic help to Blacks has DESTROYED their families and social ascendancy

1711988291952.png

ANd don't forget the freedom of ABORTION
1711988359364.png

ANd the bottom line is this

1711988416452.png

I've never received a handout. I was raised by a single grandparent, on very tight fixed income. What I have, I have built myself. No welfare, no payouts, no handouts, all on me.
Of course.

My money is not your right, bitch.
You want a cash grab, go after the people that enslaved you.
Ever think why you got enslaved?
Want to go there?
Since whites have grabbed my cash, my parents cash and my grandparents cash, yu really need to think before you post. This is a case against the government.

The other problem is that presidential candidates, in an effort to buy black votes, would keep bidding up the amount each election cycle.

Since whites have grabbed my cash, my parents cash and my grandparents cash, yu really need to think before you post. This is a case against the government.
And the government is funded primarily by whites, it will be at their expense.

And whites didn’t grab your cash, or your parents and grandparents. MY grandparents came over fleeing antisemitism in Europe, and lived in a walk-up tenement apartment. They took no “relief” money. So they took nothing from you or your family, unless you think their watering down the soup took something from your family.

And the government is funded primarily by whites, it will be at their expense.

And whites didn’t grab your cash, or your parents and grandparents. MY grandparents came over fleeing antisemitism in Europe, and lived in a walk-up tenement apartment. They took no “relief” money. So they took nothing from you or your family, unless you think their watering down the soup took something from your family.

Actually, what the Jews did was exploited people in places like NY, which is why they are so despised by the black community there. It's why race pimps like Sharpton and Farrakhan can make points against them.

Actually, what the Jews did was exploited people in places like NY, which is why they are so despised by the black community there. It's why race pimps like Sharpton and Farrakhan can make points against them.

Actually, what the Jews did was exploited people in places like NY

How did they do that?

Forum List

Back