How To Wean the Dependent Off Welfare

No job found. No fast food restaurants in his town. Had one interview, but the employer didn't like his tie and he was passed over. Is he a leech?

You really suck at this.

Guess it's time to move then. Of course that's what someone with a bit of self reliance would do, for the useless it's easier to sit on the couch and collect the government check, but how is that going to make anything better?

No job found. No fast food restaurants in his town. Had one interview, but the employer didn't like his tie and he was passed over. Is he a leech?

You really suck at this.

Not only that, but he's a paraplegic and can't afford a wheelchair. He has to drag himself around.

In this same town there are probably 100 illegal aliens who go to work every day and have managed to find a job even if they are here one day and can't speak the language.

Don't forget he lost his eyesight from a stray bullet from a gun nut.

I figured you'd stop trying to defend your ludicrous statement. Very few Americans are leeches. Especially those who are currently receiving UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE THAT THEY PAID INTO WHEN THEY WERE WORKING.

I figured you'd stop trying to defend your ludicrous statement. Very few Americans are leeches. Especially those who are currently receiving UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE THAT THEY PAID INTO WHEN THEY WERE WORKING.

We talking welfare or unemployment? you are so all over the map and changing your arguments that it's hard to tell.

You take the children away from parents who refuse to provide for them. It's not hard. Especially now that Russia slapped obama upside the head and banned adoption of Russian children.

Wow......what a callous asshole

I lived it. I'm entitled to be callous. When I was little we were homeless. Before there was a social safety net. No medical care, food, housing, Toys for Tots programs. We lived on the street. A stranger, a man we didn't even know, reported us to the police and the court took me away. No hearing, no trial, just a judge who had no sympathy and no recourse even if he had. His order was that I would live with my aunt until my step dad could get a job and my parents could provide stable housing. It took them a year. Mostly because my step dad was not used to working and was resentful of the demands. Demands like showing up and actually doing something. My mother was angry that apartments charged rent. But, in all fairness to them, they did it. If I didn't have an aunt I would have gone to a volunteer family (no foster care program) probably through a Church system.

But that's not the kicker, the punch line. Years later, my parents owned their own home and drove a nice car. I had my own child, graduated law school (because I didn't want to be poor), my mother told me that those years on the street were the happiest in her life. It was a callous and cruel judge that ended all those good times. Had their been the same social safety net then that we have now, that kind of poverty would be comfortable. Instead of being a successful lawyer I would be second generation welfare. Instead of being a VP for a major company, my son would have been third generation welfare like the other men who are generationally welfare. They drift from girlfriend to girlfriend because those are the ones the government gives most of the goodies to.

Poverty is painful compared to living in a mansion on the golf course. It just isn't painful enough. It should be far, FAR more painful that it is, with real loss. Serious loss.

Do you think it's the government's job to give people the happiest times in their lives?

Holy cow. You were a kid before there was welfare or a social safety net eh?

What are you; 95 years old? And an attorney. Yea. Right. And I am a prince.
Fuking attorneys. You proud of that? Proud of the way you attorneys suck off the guvmint teat? Sure you are.

Shit if it wasn't for attorneys advertising for SSDI claims and Insurance settlements, maybe there wouldn't be so many people soaking up the SSI funds. You ever think of calling out your attorney friends for what they do? Or is that how you made your living.
Off SSDI cases.

Yea.....especially when you have to trade off buying groceries or paying the doctors bill. Do you pay $1200 to get your car fixed so you can get to work? Do you pay for car insurance this month or the electric bill

It is so easy for the working poor

Turn it into the working poor if you like, we are discussing the useless fucks to lazy to get off the welfare.

I respect the fuck out of someone who can get out of bed and work for fuck all until something better comes along, that takes guts.

And before you now deflect to those who are unable to work, I am referring to folks who have their health.

Most people who get public assistance do work. These are the people who are struggling in this economy. Many used to have better paying jobs in better economic times. Republicans call them leeches in the 47%

I don't believe any of us don't have sympathy for those that are trying and having a hard time. Many of us have been there.

But there are leeches that game the system.

here are some that believe they are owed a living

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufk7IXdxc-c]Georgia Runs Out of Food Stamps! - YouTube[/ame]

I don't believe that story.

You underestimate your audience.

It is a shame that you don't believe that story. I know that it's a matter of choice because you can't conceive of the time when there was no welfare, so social safety net. It's always been there. Did you think, perhaps that in 1950 New York City there was a HUD program, or WIC? Or that by some miracle or other there was no poor. Or, that there has never been a time when people for whatever reason chose to live unfettered by the demands of a society they rejected.

In the 1950s the urban poor were blacks, immigrants, in NYC it meant newly arrived hispanic Puerto Ricans, and those who chose not to participate in rising America. Today we just have more people choosing not to participate. They don't have to.

You have absolutely no idea in the world. None. I have no sympathy for the poor or the homeless. For the most part it is a chosen lifestyle. They just want it made more comfortable. I see no reason to accommodate them.

We talking welfare or unemployment? you are so all over the map and changing your arguments that it's hard to tell.

it's called moving the goal posts

the LWers are experts at that. It's one way to avoid answering the question.

You said you would cut people off after 6 months of unemployment.....several times. That is what we are talking about.

Turn it into the working poor if you like, we are discussing the useless fucks to lazy to get off the welfare.

I respect the fuck out of someone who can get out of bed and work for fuck all until something better comes along, that takes guts.

And before you now deflect to those who are unable to work, I am referring to folks who have their health.

Most people who get public assistance do work. These are the people who are struggling in this economy. Many used to have better paying jobs in better economic times. Republicans call them leeches in the 47%

I don't believe any of us don't have sympathy for those that are trying and having a hard time. Many of us have been there.

But there are leeches that game the system.

here are some that believe they are owed a living

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufk7IXdxc-c]Georgia Runs Out of Food Stamps! - YouTube[/ame]

Can you imagine waiting in line for a whole 6 hrs for that free food to feed your six kids? lol Poor America indeed.

I don't believe that story.

It is a shame that you don't believe that story. I know that it's a matter of choice because you can't conceive of the time when there was no welfare, so social safety net. It's always been there. Did you think, perhaps that in 1950 New York City there was a HUD program, or WIC? Or that by some miracle or other there was no poor. Or, that there has never been a time when people for whatever reason chose to live unfettered by the demands of a society they rejected.

In the 1950s the urban poor were blacks, immigrants, in NYC it meant newly arrived hispanic Puerto Ricans, and those who chose not to participate in rising America. Today we just have more people choosing not to participate. They don't have to.

You have absolutely no idea in the world. None. I have no sympathy for the poor or the homeless. For the most part it is a chosen lifestyle. They just want it made more comfortable. I see no reason to accommodate them.

Doesn't address the claim that your story is bullshit. You are a lawyer? You attended law school based on your stellar academic ability and passed the bar and went on to become a successful lawyer? You?

You take the children away from parents who refuse to provide for them. It's not hard. Especially now that Russia slapped obama upside the head and banned adoption of Russian children.

I lived it. I'm entitled to be callous. When I was little we were homeless. Before there was a social safety net. No medical care, food, housing, Toys for Tots programs. We lived on the street. A stranger, a man we didn't even know, reported us to the police and the court took me away. No hearing, no trial, just a judge who had no sympathy and no recourse even if he had. His order was that I would live with my aunt until my step dad could get a job and my parents could provide stable housing. It took them a year. Mostly because my step dad was not used to working and was resentful of the demands. Demands like showing up and actually doing something. My mother was angry that apartments charged rent. But, in all fairness to them, they did it. If I didn't have an aunt I would have gone to a volunteer family (no foster care program) probably through a Church system.

But that's not the kicker, the punch line. Years later, my parents owned their own home and drove a nice car. I had my own child, graduated law school (because I didn't want to be poor), my mother told me that those years on the street were the happiest in her life. It was a callous and cruel judge that ended all those good times. Had their been the same social safety net then that we have now, that kind of poverty would be comfortable. Instead of being a successful lawyer I would be second generation welfare. Instead of being a VP for a major company, my son would have been third generation welfare like the other men who are generationally welfare. They drift from girlfriend to girlfriend because those are the ones the government gives most of the goodies to.

Poverty is painful compared to living in a mansion on the golf course. It just isn't painful enough. It should be far, FAR more painful that it is, with real loss. Serious loss.

Do you think it's the government's job to give people the happiest times in their lives?

Yes, I do

We are the wealthiest nation on earth. We can afford to provide a safety net to all families. Taking children away from families who are not abusive just because they are poor is callous

Your anecdote that it made you a stronger person is nonsense

Your poor people don't suffer enough is typical of rightwing dogma. Protect a four percent tax break for the ultra rich while you take children away from those who struggle economically

You are an asshole

Last edited:

Yes, I do

We are the wealthiest nation on earth. We can afford to provide a safety net to all families. Taking children away from families who are not abusive just because they are poor is callous

Your anecdote that it made you a stronger person is nonsense

I would argue that teaching kids it's ok to sit on your ass and let uncle same pay your way is child abuse.

I would argue that teaching kids it's ok to sit on your ass and let uncle same pay your way is child abuse.

In many cases, 16 year olds can only be employed part time, and they need a license and car to get to work.

......then try teaching an 18 year old to get a job........doing.....what?

unemployment rate for the 16 to 19 age group has been just under 24% now for three months in a row.

If they're not flipping burgers then they're
1. Taking out a government loan to go to college
2. Enlisting for military service

BOTH choices require Uncle Sam to pay.

Yes, I do

We are the wealthiest nation on earth. We can afford to provide a safety net to all families.

We did not become a wealthy nation by "providing a safety net to all families."

If we tried, then we would be called "Cuba."

Cause and effect

There was a time we did not take care of our poor. We had a Dickensonian view of the poor. Survival of the fittest, debtors prison and orphanages. Modern societies take care of those who cannot take care of themselves.

In many cases, 16 year olds can only be employed part time, and they need a license and car to get to work.

unemployment rate for the 16 to 19 age group has been just under 24% now for three months in a row.

I'm eluding to the useless healthy parent setting the example for the kid that it's ok to be useless and do nothing, uncle sam will pay your way.

Holy cow. You were a kid before there was welfare or a social safety net eh?

What are you; 95 years old? And an attorney. Yea. Right. And I am a prince.
Fuking attorneys. You proud of that? Proud of the way you attorneys suck off the guvmint teat? Sure you are.

Shit if it wasn't for attorneys advertising for SSDI claims and Insurance settlements, maybe there wouldn't be so many people soaking up the SSI funds. You ever think of calling out your attorney friends for what they do? Or is that how you made your living.
Off SSDI cases.

There was no welfare the way we know it today, that's for sure. There was general relief. General relief in those days was quite strict. You were not permitted luxuries. There was no such thing as food stamps, although you could get allotments of govermment issued food like powdered eggs or bricks of lard. While there was a food distribution program, the government had no role, it was administered by charities, largely through local Churches. We didn't have a Great Society until LBJ.

And you are right about attorneys. They advertise for scammers and people who don't mind being paid to say they are sick or injured. Yes, for a time I did SSDI cases! So I know all about women who train their kids to be "crazy" and get the crazy check from the government. I retired a few years ago because the people I represented were sickening and disgusting. Accidents, divorces, criminals, bankruptcies, SSI, worker's compensation, the people, the clients were disgusting pieces of shit whose sole concern was who they could leech off of. I opened a dog grooming shop so I wouldn't have to deal with them any longer. Dogs have an honesty that human beings lack. That's why I know that bankruptcies aren't caused by medical bills, they are caused by people getting credit cards to make the payments on the credit cards they already maxed out. The attorneys who are the worst of the worst can only be that bad because there is a demand for it. Everyone wants to win Tort Lotto! You don't even need to spend that buck. Who the FUCK would want an honest attorney! An attorney who limits his clientele to the really in need would have about two clients, once in a while. I used to think that if the ordinary citizen knew how attorneys, the courts and the government was working with con men, scammers, cappers and thugs they'd storm the courthouses. Now I know that if the ordinary citizen really knew the extent of the corruption they'd only say "How do I get mine?"

I'm eluding to the useless healthy parent setting the example for the kid that it's ok to be useless and do nothing, uncle sam will pay your way.

You are eluding to HOW MANY?

Is it a million people? 10 million? 100 million? How many? And how much do they cost us?

Please. Let's discuss reality. Not your selfish fantasy. How many are there?

Yes, I do

We are the wealthiest nation on earth. We can afford to provide a safety net to all families.

We did not become a wealthy nation by "providing a safety net to all families."

If we tried, then we would be called "Cuba."

Cause and effect

There was a time we did not take care of our poor. We had a Dickensonian view of the poor. Survival of the fittest, debtors prison and orphanages. Modern societies take care of those who cannot take care of themselves.

It depends on who cannot take care of themselves. Most of the poor today choose not to take care of themselves, therefore they cannot take care of themselves.

Forum List

Back