How To Start Real Change

We blame the white man for what the white man has done.
When are black people going to stand up on their own two feet? ,,, :dunno:

Black people in America can live anywhere they want. Have a job or a career in any field they feel like working. Attend any school or university they apply for, provided they meet the academic requirements. Rise to the top echelons in the U.S. military branch of their choice. Run for any political office in the land, etc.

In essence, the only thing holding black people back in America is themselves.

Black people, time to take that imaginary chip off your shoulder and get with the program. .... :thup:
Black people already stand on their own two feet. White people just keep trying to trip them up because white people feel they need an advantage.

^^^^^^ That policy ended in 1968....which was 50 years ago.

Plenty of time for black people to get their act together and quite blaming the white man for all their problems. .... :cool:

Debating uneducated idiots is tiring. Actually the policy not stop in 1968. The issue remains very much a problem now. The white man will be blamed for what the white man has done. Quit doing it if you don't want to be blamed.

White Society is like the Jewish Society and is the smallest percentage in the world and yet get blame for everything!

Slavery in Africa, well blame the Jew and White man!

Can't get a job, blame the Jew and White man!!

A black man leave his kids to live on welfare, well blame the Jew and White man!!!

My point?

Those like you I will never listen to until you learn that your society has done more harm than good by staying slaves to the system!

Many times I have gotten contracts in black neighborhoods just because I am white, so what does that say about your own business owners!?!

So fix your neighborhoods and your society before you blame anyone else!

A black man can't leave his kids to live on welfare. Whites like you have been the problem. Fix your own society because whites will be blamed for what they have done.

Black people already stand on their own two feet. White people just keep trying to trip them up because white people feel they need an advantage.
Really??

Then why are you always begging the white man to solve your problems and give you more free stuff? .... :dunno:

Because that's not happening.

We blame the white man for what the white man has done.
When are black people going to stand up on their own two feet? ,,, :dunno:

Black people in America can live anywhere they want. Have a job or a career in any field they feel like working. Attend any school or university they apply for, provided they meet the academic requirements. Rise to the top echelons in the U.S. military branch of their choice. Run for any political office in the land, etc.

In essence, the only thing holding black people back in America is themselves.

Black people, time to take that imaginary chip off your shoulder and get with the program. .... :thup:

The better question is when will whites face reality and stop living afflicted with psychosis.

Really??

Then why are black people always begging the white man to solve your problems and give you more free stuff? .... :dunno:
Who told you Black people are begging whites for anything? :dunno:

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Why should white people listen to black people about anything?
Because it's better to listen TO someone instead of getting information ABOUT someone from TV news show that will not say anything positive. Because it's better to listen TO someone instead of making assumptions about someone. Because it's better to listen TO someone instead of believing every negative thing you hear or read about them.

Just started reading Michael Eric Dyson’s newest book, and it already speaks directly to something I have been thinking for a long time: That white people need to listen to black people. Here’s an excerpt talking about a meeting with some prominent black folks (Horne, Belafonte, Baldwin) and Bobby Kennedy.

“In fact, the brutal battering he suffered at the hands of the Baldwin crew offers an important lesson to white people about how to start real change. And that involves sometimes sitting silently, and finally, as black folks have been forced to do, listening, and listening, and listening, and listening some more.”
I don't want to hear anything they have to say because it's always the same song. Racist, cry cry cry, racist, cry cry cry, waa waa waa. The best thing stupid blacks can do is learn what "show me your hands" means. Until these idiots change themselves I want NOTHING to do with them.
There is a Baldwin quote in the book I am reading: “Whatever you describe to another person is also a revelation of who you are and who you think you are. You cannot describe anything without betraying your point of view, your aspirations, your fears, your hopes, everything.”

Because it's better to listen TO someone instead of getting information ABOUT someone from TV news show that will not say anything positive. Because it's better to listen TO someone instead of making assumptions about someone. Because it's better to listen TO someone instead of believing every negative thing you hear or read about them.
I don't need to watch news shows on TV to know about black people.

I've been around them most of my life.

Listened to their tales of woe about how all their problems are the white man's fault. And how their great, great, grandpappy and grandmammy were slaves.

Look, it's 2018, and slavery ended well over a century ago. Time to get off the self pity victim train, and get with the program.

Put down the bong, get an education, then a job, and build a life. .... :cool:

Just started reading Michael Eric Dyson’s newest book, and it already speaks directly to something I have been thinking for a long time: That white people need to listen to black people. Here’s an excerpt talking about a meeting with some prominent black folks (Horne, Belafonte, Baldwin) and Bobby Kennedy.

“In fact, the brutal battering he suffered at the hands of the Baldwin crew offers an important lesson to white people about how to start real change. And that involves sometimes sitting silently, and finally, as black folks have been forced to do, listening, and listening, and listening, and listening some more.”

Why should white people listen to others complaining about how awful they supposedly are? Where is the advantage in that?

People are motivated by self-interest. They're not going to do anything unless it benefits them. As far as I know, endlessly apologizing for things beyond your control does not benefit anyone. It simply makes you look weak, and gives others license to try and take more from you.

Why would you read anything penned by a race pimp?

Listened to their tales of woe about how all their problems are the white man's fault. And how their great, great, grandpappy and grandmammy were slaves.

Look, it's 2018, and slavery ended well over a century ago. Time to get off the self pity victim train, and get with the program.

I Put in White Tenants’: The Grim, Racist (and Likely Illegal) Methods of One Brooklyn Landlord
May 12, 2015
‘I Put in White Tenants’: The Grim, Racist (and Likely Illegal) Methods of One Brooklyn Landlord

A book you might want to read.

Not in My Neighborhood: How Bigotry Shaped a Great American City
Baltimore is the setting for (and typifies) one of the most penetrating examinations of bigotry and residential segregation ever published in the United States. Antero Pietila shows how continued discrimination practices toward African Americans and Jews have shaped the cities in which we now live. Eugenics, racial thinking, and white supremacist attitudes influenced even the federal government's actions toward housing in the 20th century, dooming American cities to ghettoization. This all-American tale is told through the prism of Baltimore, from its early suburbanization in the 1880s to the consequences of "white flight" after World War II, and into the first decade of the twenty-first century. The events are real, and so are the heroes and villains. Mr. Pietila's engrossing story is an eye-opening journey into city blocks and neighborhoods, shady practices, and ruthless promoters.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1566638437/?tag=slatmaga-20

White racial attitudes over time: Data from the General Social Survey

“In 2008, a nontrivial proportion of whites nationwide, 28%, still support an individual homeowner’s right to discriminate on the basis of race when selling a home, and even nearly 1 in 4 highly educated Northern whites adopt this position.”

• One part of more recent surveys (2000) showed respondents a “card depicting a 15-house neighborhood with their own home in the middle, and asked to indicate their preferred racial mixture by writing a ‘W’ (for white), ‘B’ (for black), ‘A’ (for Asian), or ‘H’ (for Hispanic) in the remaining homes.” The results “highlight the likely difficulty of creating stably integrated communities,” the researchers write. Indeed, “1 in 5 whites nationally created an ideal neighborhood that was all white; 1 in 4 created a neighborhood with no blacks in it; and 1 in 3 created a neighborhood with no Hispanics or no Asians.”
  • Preferences among minority groups were different, but not without other bias: “Similarly, though fewer than 1 in 10 blacks created an all-black neighborhood or one with no whites, almost 2 out of 5 created ideal neighborhoods with no Hispanics or Asians in them.”
  • In 1990 white respondents were asked if they were willing to live in a neighborhood where “half of your neighbors were blacks” and only 10% said they would. That figure rose to 25% in 2008.
  • “When first measured in 1990, fully 65% of whites opposed a black-white union, while 40+% opposed Asian-white or Hispanic-white unions. The data since then reveal both a general decline in objection to racial intermarriage and a considerable narrowing of the size of the gap between opposition to black-white unions and either Asian- or Hispanic-white unions. Nonetheless, even in 2008, 1 in 4 whites either ‘opposed’ or ‘strongly opposed’ a close relative or family member marrying a black person.”
  • “In 1990, when first assessed, roughly 65% of whites rated blacks as less hard-working than whites, while just under 60% rated blacks as less intelligent than whites. Such negative stereotyping subsequently falls for both traits, particularly between 1990 and 1996, remaining relatively stable over the ensuing decade.”

.” However, “despite accepting integration as a general principle and a small minority presence in schools, neighborhoods or other public social spaces, whites express strong social distance preferences; indeed, a racial hierarchy of association remains, with African Americans at or near its bottom.”

White racial attitudes over time: Data from the General Social Survey - Journalist's Resource

A Tax on Blackness

Racism is still rampant in real estate.

Compared to whites, according to a 2013 study from the Urban Institute and Department of Housing and Urban Development, black renters learned about 11 percent fewer rental units and black homebuyers were shown roughly 20 percent fewer homes; Asian renters learned about 7 percent fewer properties, while Asian homebuyers also learned about 20 percent fewer homes; and Latino renters learned about 12 percent fewer units. (There was no difference in the treatment of Latino homebuyers.) As NPR points out in its analysis, this wasn’t a regional problem: Researchers ran their experiment in 28 different metropolitan regions, with similar results.

Finally, we see it in the financial penalty that accrues to middle-class blacks who live in predominantly black, middle-class neighborhoods. Here’s how the Washington Post describes the phenomenon, writing about the largely black Prince George’s County, Maryland. “Most whites live in largely white neighborhoods, where homes often prove to be a better investment because people of all races want to live there. Predominantly black communities tend to attract a narrower group of mainly black buyers, dampening demand and prices, they say.” For wealthy blacks who bought into Prince George’s County for the comfort they felt in a mostly black community, that “meant their home brought them less wealth than if they had purchased elsewhere.”

"Put differently, they suffered a kind of tax that reflects the stigma associated with blackness, independent of wealth or status. It doesn’t matter how rich the inhabitants are. If a neighborhood is black, other groups don’t want to live there, hurting the value. And on the other end, while we tend to associate gentrification with poor minority neighborhoods, the reality is a little different. According to a Harvard study on Chicago neighborhoods, full gentrification only happened in low-income neighborhoods with substantial white populations, 35 percent. If there's an equally substantial black population, around 40 percent, the process either slowed, or stopped altogether."

"Don’t fool yourself into thinking the Brooklyn landlord is a New York problem. He is just a dramatic example of a dynamic that happens in neighborhoods across the country, in subtle, often imperceptible ways. Realtors discourage black and brown buyers; lenders charge higher rates to them"

"Despite the laws we pass and the values we say we have, discrimination is part and parcel of how Americans do housing. It’s how it was 100 years ago, and it’s how it is now."

Persistent Racism in Housing Is a Tax on Blackness

here-endeth-the-lesson.jpg

Why should white people listen to others complaining about how awful they supposedly are? Where is the advantage in that?

People are motivated by self-interest. They're not going to do anything unless it benefits them. As far as I know, endlessly apologizing for things beyond your control does not benefit anyone. It simply makes you look weak, and gives others license to try and take more from you.

I Put in White Tenants’: The Grim, Racist (and Likely Illegal) Methods of One Brooklyn Landlord
May 12, 2015
‘I Put in White Tenants’: The Grim, Racist (and Likely Illegal) Methods of One Brooklyn Landlord

A book you might want to read.

Not in My Neighborhood: How Bigotry Shaped a Great American City
Baltimore is the setting for (and typifies) one of the most penetrating examinations of bigotry and residential segregation ever published in the United States. Antero Pietila shows how continued discrimination practices toward African Americans and Jews have shaped the cities in which we now live. Eugenics, racial thinking, and white supremacist attitudes influenced even the federal government's actions toward housing in the 20th century, dooming American cities to ghettoization. This all-American tale is told through the prism of Baltimore, from its early suburbanization in the 1880s to the consequences of "white flight" after World War II, and into the first decade of the twenty-first century. The events are real, and so are the heroes and villains. Mr. Pietila's engrossing story is an eye-opening journey into city blocks and neighborhoods, shady practices, and ruthless promoters.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1566638437/?tag=slatmaga-20

White racial attitudes over time: Data from the General Social Survey

“In 2008, a nontrivial proportion of whites nationwide, 28%, still support an individual homeowner’s right to discriminate on the basis of race when selling a home, and even nearly 1 in 4 highly educated Northern whites adopt this position.”

• One part of more recent surveys (2000) showed respondents a “card depicting a 15-house neighborhood with their own home in the middle, and asked to indicate their preferred racial mixture by writing a ‘W’ (for white), ‘B’ (for black), ‘A’ (for Asian), or ‘H’ (for Hispanic) in the remaining homes.” The results “highlight the likely difficulty of creating stably integrated communities,” the researchers write. Indeed, “1 in 5 whites nationally created an ideal neighborhood that was all white; 1 in 4 created a neighborhood with no blacks in it; and 1 in 3 created a neighborhood with no Hispanics or no Asians.”
  • Preferences among minority groups were different, but not without other bias: “Similarly, though fewer than 1 in 10 blacks created an all-black neighborhood or one with no whites, almost 2 out of 5 created ideal neighborhoods with no Hispanics or Asians in them.”
  • In 1990 white respondents were asked if they were willing to live in a neighborhood where “half of your neighbors were blacks” and only 10% said they would. That figure rose to 25% in 2008.
  • “When first measured in 1990, fully 65% of whites opposed a black-white union, while 40+% opposed Asian-white or Hispanic-white unions. The data since then reveal both a general decline in objection to racial intermarriage and a considerable narrowing of the size of the gap between opposition to black-white unions and either Asian- or Hispanic-white unions. Nonetheless, even in 2008, 1 in 4 whites either ‘opposed’ or ‘strongly opposed’ a close relative or family member marrying a black person.”
  • “In 1990, when first assessed, roughly 65% of whites rated blacks as less hard-working than whites, while just under 60% rated blacks as less intelligent than whites. Such negative stereotyping subsequently falls for both traits, particularly between 1990 and 1996, remaining relatively stable over the ensuing decade.”

.” However, “despite accepting integration as a general principle and a small minority presence in schools, neighborhoods or other public social spaces, whites express strong social distance preferences; indeed, a racial hierarchy of association remains, with African Americans at or near its bottom.”

White racial attitudes over time: Data from the General Social Survey - Journalist's Resource

A Tax on Blackness

Racism is still rampant in real estate.

Compared to whites, according to a 2013 study from the Urban Institute and Department of Housing and Urban Development, black renters learned about 11 percent fewer rental units and black homebuyers were shown roughly 20 percent fewer homes; Asian renters learned about 7 percent fewer properties, while Asian homebuyers also learned about 20 percent fewer homes; and Latino renters learned about 12 percent fewer units. (There was no difference in the treatment of Latino homebuyers.) As NPR points out in its analysis, this wasn’t a regional problem: Researchers ran their experiment in 28 different metropolitan regions, with similar results.

Finally, we see it in the financial penalty that accrues to middle-class blacks who live in predominantly black, middle-class neighborhoods. Here’s how the Washington Post describes the phenomenon, writing about the largely black Prince George’s County, Maryland. “Most whites live in largely white neighborhoods, where homes often prove to be a better investment because people of all races want to live there. Predominantly black communities tend to attract a narrower group of mainly black buyers, dampening demand and prices, they say.” For wealthy blacks who bought into Prince George’s County for the comfort they felt in a mostly black community, that “meant their home brought them less wealth than if they had purchased elsewhere.”

"Put differently, they suffered a kind of tax that reflects the stigma associated with blackness, independent of wealth or status. It doesn’t matter how rich the inhabitants are. If a neighborhood is black, other groups don’t want to live there, hurting the value. And on the other end, while we tend to associate gentrification with poor minority neighborhoods, the reality is a little different. According to a Harvard study on Chicago neighborhoods, full gentrification only happened in low-income neighborhoods with substantial white populations, 35 percent. If there's an equally substantial black population, around 40 percent, the process either slowed, or stopped altogether."

"Don’t fool yourself into thinking the Brooklyn landlord is a New York problem. He is just a dramatic example of a dynamic that happens in neighborhoods across the country, in subtle, often imperceptible ways. Realtors discourage black and brown buyers; lenders charge higher rates to them"

"Despite the laws we pass and the values we say we have, discrimination is part and parcel of how Americans do housing. It’s how it was 100 years ago, and it’s how it is now."

Persistent Racism in Housing Is a Tax on Blackness

here-endeth-the-lesson.jpg

Why would you read anything penned by a race pimp?
Obviously I do not consider him a race pimp. I read his writing because it is interesting, revealing, factual, scholarly and thought provoking. Here is a black man who has done all of the things white folks say blacks should do: went to college, got a job, became a success in America. But some folks still look down on him and won't listen to what he says.

• Thanks
Why should white people listen to others complaining about how awful they supposedly are?
When black folks talk it is not simply to complain or blame. It is an effort to explain the truths they live with every day. An effort to help the rest of us understand.

• Thanks

Many black folks do just that - like the author of the book I'm reading. But they are still profiled, disrespected, questioned, mocked and criticized. I sometimes think that seeing highly educated, professional, successful black folks still not accepted, may take away motivation and make some people ask "what's the use? No matter how high up I get, they'll still find a way to fault me."

Perhaps you have been around black folks, like you say, but maybe the ones you have been around are not the norm. Maybe they are a minority and maybe if you met another class of blacks you would form a more positive opinion. But then, maybe not, like I said, no matter how far they go, some of us have already formed negative opinions which we want to cling to.

• Thanks
Really??

Then why are black people always begging the white man to solve your problems and give you more free stuff? .... :dunno:
No black people I know are begging the white man to solve their problems and they are not asking for free stuff. The people I know work and are only asking that the white man treat him equally and fairly.

Forum List

Back