How to reduce the effect of taxation on your portfolio

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
You will need to buy X shares and Y synthetic or real futures on the underlying.

If your tax rate is R, then you will need Y = (R/(1-R))*X

E.G. suppose you are buying a short term investment and your tax rate is 28%.

You buy 10000 shares of SPY and 39x100 synthetic futures.,

Say the stock gains 10%. Your total gain is 10% on the stock and 3.9% from the futures, for 13.9%. The government gets 0.28 * 13.9% = 3.9% of it in taxes, and you're left with 10% - the original gain from the stock.

If it loses 10% - everything is reversed.

The scheme needs some tinkering to account for the fact losses might not be immediately deductible.

Opinions. Comments. Do any investors use a strategy like this?

Last edited:
If you are lucky enough to have a member of the clergy in your family, place your portfolio in a family trust that the clergy member is headed. NO TAXES!

Last edited:
Get a job with the federal government and you don't have to worry about stuff the common people have to be concerned about.

I don't believe having a retirement with automatic COLA means there is no need to invest for retirement.

As of 2012 the average fed pension was $32,824. Obviously everyone has their own lifestyle and income needs, but I sure wouldn't be comfortable knowing that would be my future income stream especially if you have large enough gap between retirement and social security age.

Point taken though! I understand a fed retiree has far less concerns about retirement investing, I just don't believe it completely absolves one from that aspect of financial planning.

I don't believe having a retirement with automatic COLA means there is no need to invest for retirement.

As of 2012 the average fed pension was $32,824. Obviously everyone has their own lifestyle and income needs, but I sure wouldn't be comfortable knowing that would be my future income stream especially if you have large enough gap between retirement and social security age.

Point taken though! I understand a fed retiree has far less concerns about retirement investing, I just don't believe it completely absolves one from that aspect of financial planning.

If I own my home, the kids are out of the house, I have social security on top of that, and my wife has the same - that's not a bad life.

Forum List

Back