2013: What stocks would you buy? Why?

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
I'm planning to increase my portfolio, and here are some of the stocks I'm looking at:

BRK-B Berkshire Hathaway

NSC Norfolk & Southern Railroad

UNP Union Pacific Railroad

CSX Railroad

WAB Westinghouse Air Brake

YHOO Yahoo!

Any good advice would be appreciated, including other stocks to consider. I'm looking at a one to five year horizon.

I shuttled 40% of my portfolio to cash.
Yes, I've lost out on recent market gains but longer term I feel that for me it was a safe move.
When the market tanks, I'll buy back in.

You've got some strong picks there. If you're comfortable and confident then go for it. :thup:

Yes, I've lost out on recent market gains but longer term I feel that for me it was a safe move.

You've got some strong picks there. If you're comfortable and confident then go for it. :thup:

Thanks for your input.

us-spree-spend2.jpg

Consumers' pent-up demand promises economic boost

I've been investing in the market for close to 40 years. With the exception of IBM, Starbucks, Google, and Wynn I've stuck to suppliers and technology of whom the 'big guys' use to make their businesses sucessful. Today, and for at least the next decade it's wireless.

My reasoning:

1. Every stock that Lakota listed uses extreme wireless technology to make money.

2. You won't be able to buy a new PC in two years.

3. You won't be able to buy a new laptop in five years.

4. Companies such as ATT are expanding their wiifi business to compete with cable TV. Perhaps the reason why Dish is competing to buy Sprint.

I've been investing in the market for close to 40 years. With the exception of IBM, Starbucks, Google, and Wynn I've stuck to suppliers and technology of whom the 'big guys' use to make their businesses sucessful. Today, and for at least the next decade it's wireless.

My reasoning:

1. Every stock that Lakota listed uses extreme wireless technology to make money.

4. Companies such as ATT are expanding their wiifi business to compete with cable TV. Perhaps the reason why Dish is competing to buy Sprint.

I like your input. Thanks. I hope you will return with more information - including any specific stocks you would recommend for consideration.

My reasoning:

I like your input. Thanks. I hope you will return with more information - including any specific stocks you would recommend for consideration.

I already have. Read my post again.

Better to be right too soon, than right too late, eh?

People talk about market timing and how doing tht well is nearly impossible?

How does one TIME THE FED?

The FED can do the wrong thing longer than your money lasts.

Is it my imagination or does the FED rally the outsiders onto the INVESTMENT RUG and then when the rug is full do they then PULL the rubg out from under them?

I have no idea where to put one's excess cash, I truly do not.

But I am guessing the INSIDERS know perfectly well where to put it.

You know why the FED can push the markets buttons?

Because the FED installed them, that's why.

Good luck, Mr. H I hope you guess right.

But guessing right is about the only hope you or any outsider really has when you are competing with the INSIDERS.

I'm planning to increase my portfolio, and here are some of the stocks I'm looking at:

BRK-B Berkshire Hathaway

NSC Norfolk & Southern Railroad

UNP Union Pacific Railroad

CSX Railroad

WAB Westinghouse Air Brake

YHOO Yahoo!

Any good advice would be appreciated, including other stocks to consider. I'm looking at a one to five year horizon.

Invest only what you can afford to lose, Lakhota.

I got an email from a friend of mine in Europe who said it is time to get out completely. So whatever people cannot afford to lose they should not be investing. - Jeri

If I bet on the market, I would quietly take my money and run.

Stocks hit an all time in October 2007...DJIA 14,100...in 14 month, it was less than half that...

United States bear market of 2007?09 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your point is well taken. However, I view betting and investing differently. Thanks for your input.

You don't make sense, Lakhota. Betting means you have a chance of winning. Investing in the market now? You've got no chance of winning and a sure guarantee you'll lose it all. Why be foolish? Get your money out of the market while you can. - Jeri

Getting your money out of the market is investing it, too.

It is investing in the theory that there is no inflation, but that the market is poised for collapse.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, I'm just pointing out that there is NO WAY to sit on the sidelines.

Jeremiah,since you and your friend know that the markets are going to crash,why don't you and your friend take advantage of this great knowledge and short the markets and make a ton of money.

Forum List

Back