How to fix the ACA

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Paul Krugman: How to Build on Obamacare
"If Mr. Trump really wanted to honor his campaign promises about improving health coverage..., there’s a lot he could do":

How to Build on Obamacare, by Paul Krugman, NY Times: “Nobody knew that health care could be so complicated.” So declared Donald Trump three weeks before wimping out on his promise to repeal Obamacare.
...Actually, though, health care isn’t all that complicated. Basically, you need to induce people who don’t currently need medical treatment to pay the bills for those who do, with the promise that the favor will be returned if necessary.

Unfortunately, Republicans have spent eight years angrily denying that simple proposition. ... But put politics aside..., what could be done to make health care work better...?

The Affordable Care Act deals with the fundamental issue of health care provision in two ways. More than half of the gains in coverage have come from expanding Medicaid... And that part of the program is working fine, except in Republican-controlled states that won’t let the federal government aid their residents.

Economist's View: Paul Krugman: How to Build on Obamacare

If the President wants to really achieve something, he could listen to a sane voice.

U.S. Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Huntsville, introduced the bill Friday.

"This Act may be cited as the 'Obamacare Repeal Act,'" the bill states.

And the bill uses just one sentence to do it.

"Effective as of Dec. 31, 2017, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted," the bill states.

And that's it - one sentence.

Rep. Mo Brooks files bill to repeal Obamacare

****FYI. HealthCare for 100s' millions was damaged to give care to a few million that truly needed help. Does this make good sense?

**IMHO.....the $2K penalty Tax if collected from ~10million is $20Bil. People pay that or pay BCBS $500-700/mo per person. Dems like that $20Bil slush fund coming in from young healthy workers in Small business.

Last edited:
"If Mr. Trump really wanted to honor his campaign promises about improving health coverage..., there’s a lot he could do":

How to Build on Obamacare, by Paul Krugman, NY Times: “Nobody knew that health care could be so complicated.” So declared Donald Trump three weeks before wimping out on his promise to repeal Obamacare.
...Actually, though, health care isn’t all that complicated. Basically, you need to induce people who don’t currently need medical treatment to pay the bills for those who do, with the promise that the favor will be returned if necessary.

Unfortunately, Republicans have spent eight years angrily denying that simple proposition. ... But put politics aside..., what could be done to make health care work better...?

The Affordable Care Act deals with the fundamental issue of health care provision in two ways. More than half of the gains in coverage have come from expanding Medicaid... And that part of the program is working fine, except in Republican-controlled states that won’t let the federal government aid their residents.

If the President wants to really achieve something, he could listen to a sane voice.
Anyone with a regular paycheck, half a functional brain cell, and some minuscule knowledge of history knows lots better than to believe government "inducements" that if they "pay it forward", funding healthcare for others today with the expectation that their healthcare would be funded later by others. All you have to do is look at Social Security, wherein the goal was to finance retirement using the same harebrained formula of we pay today and someone else pays for us later. Government cannot be trusted to efficiently or wisely manage the funds so gleaned, instead, wasting such funds on government bullshit.
I would have been better pleased if my state had been morally strong enough to just say no to federal extortion in the form of federal funding to compel state compliance. States need to learn to live within their means (like the federal government) and not suck the federal tit in order to suck up to their constituency addicted to government "freebies".

The ACA is not broken so do not fix it.

That's a good point. There's nothing 'broken' about it. The law achieves its goals. I establishes federal regulatory power over health care and promotes corporate insurance. But many of us think that those were the wrong goals. That's why it should be repealed entirely.

Abolish the PPACA and replace private insurance with mutual savings.

All states should be required to expand Medicaid, and if insurance companies are not on the exchange they get a hefty fine, along with those who do not get on a program.

All states should be required to expand Medicaid, and if insurance companies are not on the exchange they get a hefty fine, along with those who do not get on a program.

States cannot print money and have to raise state taxes to pay for expanded Medicaid.

That's always been the play for you liberals, Penelope. You know as well as I do that the ACA as written was designed to fail. You need hefty fines on everyone else to force them to pay for the coverage you're giving to those you subsidize. Of course you couldn't admit that...because those people would have voted out Democrats in droves...so you lied about what ObamaCare was and what it would cost!

Basically, you need to induce people who don’t currently need medical treatment to pay the bills for those who do, with the promise that the favor will be returned if necessary.
I just find it hard to say OK to that. Some people don't ever need treatment. It is unfair.

Basically, you need to induce people who don’t currently need medical treatment to pay the bills for those who do, with the promise that the favor will be returned if necessary.
I just find it hard to say OK to that. Some people don't ever need treatment. It is unfair.

So you know about your future, how nice! Best be very careful you are not shot by a nutcase and trying to run away from him you broke your leg, he got away with your wallet. Not on a program, no hospital ER.

Tomorrow morning you wake up with a horrible headache and blurred vision, seems that tumor which has been growing in your brain is now causing pressure. Too bad!!! Not unfair!!

So you know about your future, how nice! Best be very careful you are not shot by a nutcase and trying to run away from him you broke your leg, he got away with your wallet. Not on a program, no hospital ER.

Tomorrow morning you wake up with a horrible headache and blurred vision, seems that tumor which has been growing in your brain is now causing pressure. Too bad!!! Not unfair!!
Comprehension problems? I didn't say anything of the sort, dummy.
I have me and my whole family insured. I don't need people to pay my way.
There are some people that don't ever need treatment. That's just the way it is. Redistribution is BULLSHIT

Sane voice who wants us to battle against imaginary alien invasion? Krugman is the funniest thing in the newspaper since Larson stopped "The Far Side"

Comprehension problems? I didn't say anything of the sort, dummy.
I have me and my whole family insured. I don't need people to pay my way.
There are some people that don't ever need treatment. That's just the way it is. Redistribution is BULLSHIT

If they live long enough there is no one that never needs treatment. Falling dead due to a heart attack or getting hit by a bus and splattered are rare.

Forum List

Back