How the best of times is making way for the worst

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
Here is an interesting article which unfortunately I doubt can spawn the normal partisan rants, but it is interesting none the less.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/19bb96ec-b418-11e3-a102-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2xGCESVD3

There is nothing inevitable about globalisation; nor about the relative peace between great powers that has prevailed since the second world war. Russia’s annexation of Crimea has upturned the assumption that states cannot extend their borders by force. Rising tensions between China and its neighbours undercut the supposition that economic interdependence is a sufficiently sturdy bulwark against nationalism.

Last edited:
I can't read the article. I'm not joining FT. Can you pull part of it out?

Didn't see an article when I clicked the link. After I waded through about 5 pop-ups I was left looking at a picture of some Russian dude. Too bad because it sounded like it might be an interesting read.

I do feel some tension in the "global air" but if you believe in the Bible and have read Revelation, Matthew, and the Old Testament Prophets then it comes as no surprise that a global uprising will occur. The details are already written down.

Sorry folks I guess they block linking to the site without access. Funny I was able to open it from another site.

Moderators might as well delete this thread.

Here is an interesting article which unfortunately I doubt can spawn the normal partisan rants, but it is interesting none the less.

How the best of times is making way for the worst - FT.com

There is nothing inevitable about globalisation; nor about the relative peace between great powers that has prevailed since the second world war. Russia’s annexation of Crimea has upturned the assumption that states cannot extend their borders by force. Rising tensions between China and its neighbours undercut the supposition that economic interdependence is a sufficiently sturdy bulwark against nationalism.

Well..... Globalization is in fact inevitable. Most countries are against protection, because we've been there, done that, and it doesn't work. At the fundamental level, trade is good and increases wealth and prosperity. Protectionism leads to impoverishment and decline.

Now at the individual level, a specific country may adopt protectionism, but that will harm only themselves. Most of the rest of the world, is moving the opposite way.

As far as peace, of course not. Peace was never an achievable dream to begin with. There will be a third world war, and it will be nuclear in scale. That was never in question, at least in my book.

And who thought that states could not extend their boundaries by force? Who ever made that assumption? Anyone who thought that, was an idiot. Perhaps western societies have chosen to not use their power to extend their countries with force, but that certainly hasn't been the reality for the rest of the world.

And lastly, this idea of economic interdependence will prevent wars, or nationalism was foolish and stupidity, as it has been for decades.

Before world war 1, there was a book out, about how no one would ever start a war, because Europe was far too economically integrated. Whoops.... didn't quite turn out that way.

I'll have to look up that book, so I can cite it.

How the best of times is making way for the worst - FT.com

Anyone that thought we were going to have world peace and just have to fight terrorist = is very blind to history. Big nations will fight and the world will see wars that make the 20th century look tame.

The only solution is to have a powerful military that no one wants to fight.

Watching us humans bicker over shit is just sad. We could be so much more and all we do is act selfish.

If anyone is interested, google the title and then the article should open.

Watching us humans bicker over shit is just sad. We could be so much more and all we do is act selfish.

Yeah, it is hard to have a discussion when the opening subject line is..."Why do nutters...."

Didn't see an article when I clicked the link. After I waded through about 5 pop-ups I was left looking at a picture of some Russian dude. Too bad because it sounded like it might be an interesting read.

I do feel some tension in the "global air" but if you believe in the Bible and have read Revelation, Matthew, and the Old Testament Prophets then it comes as no surprise that a global uprising will occur. The details are already written down.

Google this and you should be able to get a link that will open the article: How the best of times is making way for the worst

As for the end time, it is not for we to know the when so it is better, in my opinion, to live as if it is not the end time, and then be surprised.

It's beautifully written and does a lovely job of comparing and contrasting but doesn't really say much. In fact, behind the beautifully written piece is this feigning ignorance of what China wants.

Globalization isn't inevitable. It is pretty much already here.
Why do you think Merkel was emphasizing de-escalation Wednesday concerning the Ukraine, taking the focus off of further economic sanctions? Because there are 6,200 German based companies operating in Russia with Siemans being one of them.

Forum List

Back