How stupid is it that we bought most of our steel from CHINA under Obama and Biden

Capitalism baby. By at the lowest cost to optimize profit.
Not when you sell out to your enemy.

Capitalism has no honor.

Taking payoffs from foreign interests for political influence is a fucking crime. I dont give a mother fuck what your sentiments are on capitalism.

Biden knew it was a crime, and he committed a serious crime.

That is being discussed in many other threads. This was about buying foreign steel.

It is clear that for all the talk around here about how capitalism is great, in truth the moment genuine capitalism conflicts with “U.S. national interests,” most everybody becomes a nationalist first and a capitalist second. Capitalist statesmen are supposed to work out state capitalist differences to the mutual benefit of all. Doesn’t seem to be working out that way, does it?

Last edited:
While China is far and away the greatest steel producer in the world, it consumes most of its own steel. It is building up its own infrastructure, industry and manufacturing. It is NOT even among the major exporters of steel to the U.S. market. Nor has it ever been. Chinese steel is relatively cheap mostly because of economies of scale.

List of countries by steel production:

Rank (2019)Country(2016 figures)
1China786.9
2India95.5.
3Japan104.8
4United States78.

The United States imported steel from about 80 countries and territories in 2019. China is not even among the top ten sources!

● Top three U.S. import sources: Canada, Brazil, Mexico

https://legacy.trade.gov/steel/countries/pdfs/imports-us.pdf

Last edited:
While China is far and away the greatest steel producer in the world, it consumes most of its own steel. It is building up its own infrastructure, industry and manufacturing. It is NOT even among the major exporters of steel to the U.S. market. Nor has it ever been. Chinese steel is relatively cheap mostly because of economies of scale.

List of countries by steel production

Rank (2019)Country
1China786.9
2India95.5. (2016)
3Japan104.8
4United States78.
The United States imported steel from about 80 countries and territories in 2019.

Chinese steel sucks, I had to convince the city I worked for stop buying their dreck. US steel is far better quality, that I needed for the job I once did for 18 years.

List of countries by steel production

Rank (2019)Country
1China786.9
2India95.5. (2016)
3Japan104.8
4United States78.
The United States imported steel from about 80 countries and territories in 2019.

Chinese steel sucks, I had to convince the city I worked for stop buying their dreck. US steel is far better quality, that I needed for the job I once did for 18 years.
Good for you. But Chinese steel comes in all grades and at very different prices. I am not aware if they are even competing with high grade Canadian, Brazilian and Mexican steel in the U.S. market.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back