How should disabilities factor into organ transplant triage decisions?

With the current shortage of organs, it makes sense to use them for people who have the potential to be productive members of society.
Yes, it's cold and uncompassionate, but it makes sense. That said, I would want to see the family of the donor have some say in who gets the organs.

When I die, they can take whatever they want and give it to whomever needs it. When they're done, what's left of 'me' will either be donated to research (I totally love the idea of rotting away at the 'body farm' or, I will be buried, without the coffin and crap, in a natural burial site. I will not clutter up some cemetery, damaging the environment and all that crap.

Interesting documentary the other day. Did you know they don't take "fat" dead bodies for research?

Me I want to buried and I want a Tombstone that'll have something memorable on it that people 100 years from now will want to take etchings of. So far the best suggestion has been "she's dead, Jim".

Do I agree with them? No. Would I honor their wishes? Yes.
You don't have to agree with someone's opinions, but, they are as entitled to them as you are to disagree.
I believe the donor's family should be able to make that decision.

With the current shortage of organs, it makes sense to use them for people who have the potential to be productive members of society.
Yes, it's cold and uncompassionate, but it makes sense. That said, I would want to see the family of the donor have some say in who gets the organs.

When I die, they can take whatever they want and give it to whomever needs it. When they're done, what's left of 'me' will either be donated to research (I totally love the idea of rotting away at the 'body farm' or, I will be buried, without the coffin and crap, in a natural burial site. I will not clutter up some cemetery, damaging the environment and all that crap.

My family knows my wish to be cremated. I see no point in my body taking up space that could be used by those capable of enjoying it.
When my son passed away, my ex and I tried to start a movement, of sorts to get people to, in stead of buying cemetery plots, to buy a plot of park land where folks could picnic, hike, what ever without the solemnity of walking around worried about trampling someone's remains. It never took off, though I didn't work that hard at it, but I think, with the right publicity, it could work.

When the default position become one of the government owning all bodies, we are in some SERIOUS trouble. You live at the suffererance of the government. We have no idea where it is going to go. Someone with a progressive disease might be scheduled for harvesting while their organs are still healthy. Why wait? Why bother with treatments that might have an effect of poisoning now healthy and useable organs?

When the default position become one of the government owning all bodies, we are in some SERIOUS trouble. You live at the suffererance of the government. We have no idea where it is going to go. Someone with a progressive disease might be scheduled for harvesting while their organs are still healthy. Why wait? Why bother with treatments that might have an effect of poisoning now healthy and useable organs?

good points worth considering :thup:

Unfortunate Fact: There aren't enough organs to go around to cover everyone who might need one, so clearly some needy patients simply die waiting.

How much should a patient's disabilities be factored into his/her relative ranking among all patients in the running for a particular organ?

Well, this story might interest you.

A Doctor Refuses to Okay Transplant for Child with Cognitive Disability (Updated)

Should CHOP Refuse Transplants for Mentally Retarded Kids? | Be Well Philly

Hospital denies life saving transplant to child because of special needs - Nashville Special Needs Kids | Examiner.com
Judging from your first link and without any other information, I'd say the doctor acted ethically. His bedside manner may need some work, though, if the post is true.

Forum List

Back